Cloning boot ssd to a larger-sized ssd

Author
JeffFinnan
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there,

I want to close my Windows 10 ssd boot drive (500 MB) to a larger ssd (2TB). When I choose to do this, the larger drive has a portion of the drive unformatted How do I close but have the entire new drive space untilized?

Thanks,
Jeff

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
I wrote a tutorial for this purpose here.

JeffFinnan
JeffFinnan
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)

I saw your tutorial. Thanks. Got some questions still. Number 3 above is a recovery partition. If I drop the partitions down in order, I cannot increase 2 (C) much. However, if I drop the partitions in the order of 1, 3, 2, then I can utilize the remaining space for (C) per your tutorial. Can I do that?  Is there something else better to do?

Thanks,
Jeff

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
You don't have to reorder your partitions, nor should you.  If you want to resize Partition 2 in your example, then:
  • Drag down Partition 1
  • Drag down Partition 2
  • Select Partition 2 in the Destination row and click "Cloned Partitioned Properties"
  • Set the Free field to 518 MB (the size of the Recovery partition you'll be dragging down into that space that will still be left free), and click OK.
  • Drag down Partition 3.

Edited 7 January 2021 9:12 PM by jphughan
JeffFinnan
JeffFinnan
Aha!  That worked. Just popped in the new boot ssd and started up perfectly.

Most appreciated.

Thanks,,
Jeff

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Excellent, happy to help! Smile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search