New User Questions & Boot Menu

Author
beachcitygarbage
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Just bought v7.3 a few days ago.  A couple questions:
1.  Am I correct in understanding that the WinPE boot option allows the user to restore an image over the existing OS without having to use rescue media on a DVD or Blu-Ray?  (if so, that's quite a timesaver)
2. Is there a way to quickly/easily remove the boot menu option (at least temporarily)?  I'm trying to install some Acronis Disk Director software, and I suspect that (by process of elimination) that the WinPE may be interfering with the installation.  (In particular, I installed the software, it shows that it installed correctly, but it does not show up (even after reboot) under Programs & Features in Control Panel).

Thanks!
capair45
capair45
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
beachcitygarbage - 3 January 2021 10:12 PM
1.  Am I correct in understanding that the WinPE boot option allows the user to restore an image over the existing OS without having to use rescue media on a DVD or Blu-Ray?  (if so, that's quite a timesaver)
2. Is there a way to quickly/easily remove the boot menu option (at least temporarily)?  I'm trying to install some Acronis Disk Director software, and I suspect that (by process of elimination) that the WinPE may be interfering with the installation.  (In particular, I installed the software, it shows that it installed correctly, but it does not show up (even after reboot) under Programs & Features in Control Panel).

Thanks!

1.  Yes but you would still want to create rescue media and test it to insure that it boots the computer and can see all the internal, external, and disks that are used to store the images you will create.to restore an image for the time your computer will not boot.
2,  You can remove the boot menu by launching the rescue media wizard and selecting "no boot menu" in that window.

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1237
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6161
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.4.6

Edited 3 January 2021 10:41 PM by capair45
beachcitygarbage
beachcitygarbage
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
capair45 - 3 January 2021 10:37 PM
beachcitygarbage - 3 January 2021 10:12 PM

Thanks!

1.  Yes but you would still want to create rescue media and test it to insure that it boots the computer and can see all the internal, external, and disks that are used to store the images you will create.to restore an image for the time your computer will not boot.
2,  You can remove the boot menu by launching the rescue media wizard and selecting "no boot menu" in that window.

Thank you!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Building on capair45's correct answer, yes the boot menu option allows you to boot into Rescue from files located on (by default) your C partition.  And since Rescue loads entirely into RAM, it's possible to restore an image even of the C partition you booted Rescue from.  However, you should ALWAYS make sure you have "external" Rescue Media on a disc or flash drive that you have successfully tested.  The reason is that there are all sorts of scenarios where those files will not be available on the C partition to boot from.  These include accidental deletion, file system problems, total HDD failure that requires a hardware replacement with a blank drive, and even....a failed restore.  If you boot from the Rescue files on your C partition and then start restoring your C partition and it fails partway through, you won't have a usable C partition anymore, which means those Rescue files won't be there anymore -- which means that if you reboot your system, you won't be able to boot into Rescue that way again.  So the boot menu option should only ever be seen as an optional convenience, and NEVER your sole means of using Rescue Media.  By comparison, "external" Rescue Media CAN be used as your sole Rescue Media (or a backup to the recovery boot menu option) because it has no dependencies on any data being on your internal disk.

beachcitygarbage
beachcitygarbage
jphughan - 4 January 2021 12:38 AM
Building on capair45's correct answer, yes the boot menu option allows you to boot into Rescue from files located on (by default) your C partition.  And since Rescue loads entirely into RAM, it's possible to restore an image even of the C partition you booted Rescue from.  However, you should ALWAYS make sure you have "external" Rescue Media on a disc or flash drive that you have successfully tested.  The reason is that there are all sorts of scenarios where those files will not be available on the C partition to boot from.  These include accidental deletion, file system problems, total HDD failure that requires a hardware replacement with a blank drive, and even....a failed restore.  If you boot from the Rescue files on your C partition and then start restoring your C partition and it fails partway through, you won't have a usable C partition anymore, which means those Rescue files won't be there anymore -- which means that if you reboot your system, you won't be able to boot into Rescue that way again.  So the boot menu option should only ever be seen as an optional convenience, and NEVER your sole means of using Rescue Media.  By comparison, "external" Rescue Media CAN be used as your sole Rescue Media (or a backup to the recovery boot menu option) because it has no dependencies on any data being on your internal disk.

Thanks!  Since I wasn't sure about the boot media process, I'd made a rescue DVD and used that (just as I'd used in Acronis previously).  Most certainly, the boot media should speed the process considerably.

Best,
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
For what it’s worth, flash drives boot MUCH faster than optical discs.
capair45
capair45
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
Here are some other tidbits of information you may be interested in:

When updates (patches) of Reflect are released, it is usually not necessary to update your rescue media. The release notes (Under the HELP menu) will tell you if you should consider doing so (look for information in red text).

Anytime you rebuild your rescue media, test it to make sure it boots correctly and all your disks that you may need for restore are visible.

Depending on the size of your rescue media, other files can be stored on it (e.g. MR Installer, License key text file, etc.). They will not interfere with rebooting your machine into the rescue environment and will not be removed if you update the media to a newer Reflect version.

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1237
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6161
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.4.6

Roland Stoller
Roland Stoller
Talented Member
Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)
jphughan - 4 January 2021 1:26 AM
For what it’s worth, flash drives boot MUCH faster than optical discs.

Absolutely!  However, if for whatever reason a flash drive does not boot, the DVD normally boots just fine.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  Ben Franklin revisited.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search