Can't navigate app with keyboard

Author
Halabec
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I made Rescue Media using "Other Tasks" -> "Create bootable Rescue media" using Macrium Reflect v7.3.5365 and default options: Choose Base WIM = Windows RE.

If I boot into Rescue Media, I can't navigate the app at all, I can ONLY navigate the menus. (I have a bluetooth mouse so keyboard navigation appears to be my only option.) The tab key DOES work if I hit Alt to get into the menus. Once I'm in the menus, I can tab to select different top menus and use arrow keys to navigate the menus. However, if I escape out of the menu I can't navigate the app space to save my life. Tab keys, arrow keys, nothing works except using Alt to get into the menus.

I'm also on a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro 20H2. One odd thing I noticed is that Macrium says "Windows RE 2004" in the image above, not sure if that's related at all.

Am I missing something here?
Edited 17 January 2021 12:06 AM by Halabec
Halabec
Halabec
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
I have since upgraded to a Home license and also tried "Choose Base WIM" of "Windows PE 10 (WADK)", both of which exhibit the same behavior.
Edited 31 December 2020 11:47 PM by Halabec
Halabec
Halabec
Actually I don't think this is related to Rescue Media at all. I see the same behavior when launching the Macrium Reflect app in Windows:

Try using the tab key right after launching the app. It doesn't work. You can't navigate anything but the menus after entering them with the ALT key. The only way to get app selection to work is to click somewhere in the app area using the mouse, at which point you're able to navigate the app using the keyboard.

Even using tab key after clicking in the app area is severely limited as I'm unable to leave certain controls to select other tabs, like leaving the left nav pane to select the "Restore" tab. It seems like large parts of the app in general don't work at all with keyboard navigation.

All this combined makes the app completely unusable if you don't have a mouse that works in the rescue environment.

Edited 1 January 2021 12:04 AM by Halabec
Halabec
Halabec
Well, if anybody else comes across this I ended up having to buy a USB mouse just to work around this. I still think this is a pretty big gap in basic functionality that should be resolved. Keyboard navigation is pretty much standard for Windows apps. You can do fully configured installs of Windows with just a keyboard, as well as pretty much anything else in a boot/rescue environment. Aside from impacting users that use bluetooth mice, this will also affect users that have to use accessibility and keyboard navigation and prevent them from using the app.
Edited 16 January 2021 10:50 PM by Halabec
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Windows PE and Windows RE, which is the "mini-OS" that Reflect Rescue Media is built on, has no native Bluetooth support.  And even if it did, Windows PE/RE is a completely separate environment from your main Windows environment, which means your Bluetooth pairings from "full" Windows wouldn't exist in WinPE/RE.  You would have this same problem if you ever tried to reinstall Windows from scratch using Windows 10 media created directly from Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, since Windows Setup runs on WinPE as well.  I agree it's inconvenient, but I don't think it's feasible for Reflect to add OS-level Bluetooth support to Windows PE/RE.  That's something Microsoft would have to do.  And even then you'd have the pairing issue.  And since the Windows PE/RE environment is in a WIM file that gets loaded into and run from RAM, changes made to that environment while it is running are NOT saved anywhere, which means you'd have to perform your Bluetooth pairings every single time you booted into your Rescue Media -- which might be why Microsoft hasn't added support for it even though Bluetooth has existed for all these years.

Edited 16 January 2021 11:39 PM by jphughan
Halabec
Halabec
I never once made an argument for adding bluetooth mouse support. From the title to the detailed issue description in multiple replies of mine in this thread I'm describing issues of keyboard navigation, not lamenting lack of bluetooth mouse support. If the app properly supported keyboard navigation I never would have created this thread. As a result of all of this, I'm perplexed where you got that impression that I'm arguing for bluetooth mouse support.

I am completely fine using keyboard navigation in such environments, and I've used keyboard navigation for years in boot and rescue environments as well as to install Windows. As it is, I was essentially forced to buy another mouse because of the lack of keyboard support. This is an issue of providing basic keyboard navigation, not bluetooth mouse support. 
Edited 17 January 2021 12:02 AM by Halabec
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Halabec - 16 January 2021 11:42 PM
I never once made an argument for adding bluetooth mouse support. From the title to the detailed issue description in multiple replies of mine in this thread I'm describing issues of keyboard navigation, not lamenting lack of bluetooth mouse support. If the app properly supported keyboard navigation I never would have created this thread. As a result of all of this, I'm perplexed where you got that impression that I'm arguing for bluetooth mouse support.

I am completely fine using keyboard navigation in such environments, and I've used keyboard navigation for years in boot and rescue environments as well as to install Windows. As it is, I was essentially forced to buy another mouse because of the lack of keyboard support. This is an issue of providing basic keyboard navigation, not bluetooth mouse support. 

My mistake, I saw the reference to Bluetooth mice in your preceding post but clearly read the overall post itself too quickly.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search