Page Fault/SscRdBus.sys error booting from rescue disk

Author
grose
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
I purchased Macrium Reflect to migrate my Windows 10 installation from an old PC to a newly built one. The new PC is based on a Gigabyte x570 motherboard, the AMD 5900x processor, and a PCIe4 NVMe drive. I backed up the old system using the exact copy image option, and created a rescue USB drive. When I boot from the thumb drive on the new system, I get a blue screen with the following information:

PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA
What failed: SscRdBus.sys

I searched this forum for the SscRdBus.sys file name, but nothing came up. I originally tried to use a different backup program I have used for some time to transfer the system. The rescue media from that program boots on the new system, but fails after making the initial 100MB partition on the NVMe drive in the new system. So it isn't the new system itself that is preventing the boot. If anyone is aware of what configuration error or other error that would generate the BSOD message, I would appreciate knowing.

Also, is it necessary to have any drivers already on the rescue media to support the new system, e.g. the NVMe drives, the MB chipset, etc.? I have copied the drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard so that it is handy for the redeploy step, but I did not add any drivers when creating the rescue media. The array of drivers on the CD is honestly confusing - it's hard to know which ones you would need for the various components of the new system. Any thoughts on getting this part of the process right would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Gordon
Attachments
20201229_172933.jpg (2 views, 3.00 MB)
Edited 30 December 2020 6:23 PM by grose
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
In general you don't need to bake drivers into the Rescue Media.  An exception exists if the driver is necessary to even get Windows PE to boot on the hardware, but that's relatively rare.  If you just want them for ReDeploy, then just having them on a storage device somewhere is fine.  Not sure what the BSOD relates to, but for what it's worth I do remember seeing threads users have reported problems getting storage to be usable on a newer AMD-based system.  If memory serves, AMD's implementation requires 3 separate drivers to be loaded, and they have to be loaded in a specific order.  Macrium replied to that thread indicating that Reflect currently didn't have a way to accommodate that, but that they would work on it.  This thread is one example, and it includes a post from a user that quoted a response they received from Macrium Support.  I don't remember seeing any updates there or in Reflect release notes since then, but they would of course know best.  And to be fair, that specific case involved a RAID setup, so that may not even come into play in your case.  I only mention it to make you aware that even if your Rescue Media boots, you may also encounter trouble making your storage visible in Rescue.

Also note that ReDeploy is not meant to be used to install all drivers for the new system.  It only focuses on making the necessary changes and importing the necessary drivers to get Windows to start on the new system.  The expectation is that you would then install any additional drivers within Windows just as you would if you had performed a clean install.

And this won't create a problem for restoring, but fyi unless your original disk included partitions that were in a format that Reflect does not natively support, there's no benefit to using the exact copy method.  That's meant for unsupported file systems, encrypted partitions that are locked at the time of cloning/backup, and/or forensic data analysis scenarios.

Edited 30 December 2020 6:29 PM by jphughan
grose
grose
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
jphughan - 30 December 2020 6:28 PM
In general you don't need to bake drivers into the Rescue Media.  An exception exists if the driver is necessary to even get Windows PE to boot on the hardware, but that's relatively rare.  If you just want them for ReDeploy, then just having them on a storage device somewhere is fine.  Not sure what the BSOD relates to, but for what it's worth I do remember seeing threads users have reported problems getting storage to be usable on a newer AMD-based system.  If memory serves, AMD's implementation requires 3 separate drivers to be loaded, and they have to be loaded in a specific order.  Macrium replied to that thread indicating that Reflect currently didn't have a way to accommodate that, but that they would work on it.  This thread is one example, and it includes a post from a user that quoted a response they received from Macrium Support.  I don't remember seeing any updates there or in Reflect release notes since then, but they would of course know best.  And to be fair, that specific case involved a RAID setup, so that may not even come into play in your case.  I only mention it to make you aware that even if your Rescue Media boots, you may also encounter trouble making your storage visible in Rescue.

Also note that ReDeploy is not meant to be used to install all drivers for the new system.  It only focuses on making the necessary changes and importing the necessary drivers to get Windows to start on the new system.  The expectation is that you would then install any additional drivers within Windows just as you would if you had performed a clean install.

And this won't create a problem for restoring, but fyi unless your original disk included partitions that were in a format that Reflect does not natively support, there's no benefit to using the exact copy method.  That's meant for unsupported file systems, encrypted partitions that are locked at the time of cloning/backup, and/or forensic data analysis scenarios.

Hi jphugan,

Thanks for your response. It looks like I could try adding the drivers that are mentioned in the post you shared - rcbottom and rcraid, along with other drivers for the wifi, nic, etc. In the post, you shared some instructions for including the drivers in the rescue media. I see the "C:\boot\macrium\[Drivers\..." and the PE/RE versions. I'm currently using RE. Any thoughts that PE might be better? Meanwhile, I will try adding the drivers and rerunning the rescue media build. I'm also going to ask the orignal person who posted if he or she could share the exported drivers. They would be good to have.

Regards,

Gordon
Edited 30 December 2020 7:50 PM by grose
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
Gordon, unless you have super secret non-FileSystem DATA on that disk, the exact copy image option is not really necessary... the "Intelligent Sector Copy" method is more than enough... and the image will be much smaller to deal with.
Edited 30 December 2020 8:19 PM by Froggie
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
@grose Happy to do what I can to help. What version of WinRE are you using?  The WinRE version causes Rescue Media to be built with whatever version of WinRE exists on the system that builds it, which is in turn based on the Windows kernel of that Windows OS. If you’re already running WinRE 10, then I doubt switching to WinPE 10 would improve anything here. But it’s not a difficult test, so you could give it a try. When you use WinPE 10, Reflect as of this writing always builds with WinPE 10 1709, so even if you’re running WinRE 10, if the issue you’re encountering happens to be a conflict that only exists in the specific Win10 kernel that your WinRE build is using (e.g. WinRE 10 1903 or whatever), then there’s a chance 1709 might make a difference. Good luck!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search