Accessing Hardware Encrypted USB drive from Boot Media

Author
andersoz
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Is it possible to backup or restore using a Hardware Encrypted USB drive?  I'm using a Kanguru hardware encrypted USB drive and my Rescue environment can't see the drive.  In order to access the drive in windows, a password must be entered into an application on the unencrypted partition of the USB drive and then Macrium can see it from within Windows.   Has there been any known working hardware based encrypted USB drives accessible from the Macrium Boot Media?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
You'd need the unlocker application to run under Windows PE.  If it does, then you'd just need to make sure that you have it squirreled away somewhere that you'll be able to run it from Rescue.  If it doesn't run properly under Windows PE, then you won't be able to unlock the drive, in which case you may want to consider using a flash drive set up with BitLocker To Go instead -- although in WinPE you'd need to open Command Prompt (button available in the Rescue taskbar) and then use the manage-bde command line tool to unlock it.  You won't see a "Click here to unlock" popup in Windows PE when you connect a BitLockered flash drive.  Alternatively, if Reflect backups will be the only data stored on the drive, you could just enable encryption of the Reflect backups themselves.

I haven't seen anybody report a hardware encryption-based solution that could be unlocked in Rescue. I seem to remember someone reporting that the unlocker application for WD's hardware encryption does NOT work in WinPE though.

Edited 30 December 2020 3:14 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search