How to edit scheduled backup?

Author
shmu26
Talented Member
Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a backup job that fails. Log says:
Backup Definition File: c:\users\admin\documents\reflect\dropbox.xml
XML Validation: Error - 'c:\users\admin\documents\reflect\dropbox.xml' not found

The xml file is now on a different path, so that's why it fails. How do I tell the backup job to look in the new path?
I fixed the paths in dropbox.xml, but that's not sufficient.
Then I fixed the paths in
C:\ProgramData\Macrium\Reflect\Scheduler\definitions.xml
and rebooted. I expected it to try again, but it didn't.
If I run it manually, it doesn't see the full backup to append itself to.
Reflect 7.3.5365
Windows 10

Edited 28 December 2020 10:49 AM by shmu26
capair45
capair45
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
shmu26 - 28 December 2020 7:33 AM
XML Validation: Error - 'c:\users\admin\documents\reflect\dropbox.xml' not found

The xml file is now on a different path, so that's why it fails. How do I tell the backup job to look in the new path?
Reflect 7.3.5365
Windows 10

Try editing the Backup Definition File within Reflect.

Click the Backup tab in the left pane > Click Backup Definition Files Tab > Right-click the desired Backup plan and select Edit > Edit the Destination section to show the correct path the the backup location.  Click Finish.

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1237
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6161
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.4.6

shmu26
shmu26
Talented Member
Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)Talented Member (155 reputation)
capair45 - 28 December 2020 12:04 PM
shmu26 - 28 December 2020 7:33 AM

Reflect 7.3.5365
Windows 10

Try editing the Backup Definition File within Reflect.

Click the Backup tab in the left pane > Click Backup Definition Files Tab > Right-click the desired Backup plan and select Edit > Edit the Destination section to show the correct path the the backup location.  Click Finish.

The destination path never changed. The storage location of the xml itself is the problem here. 
Let me clarify this issue.
My user account used to have this path:
C:\Users\Admin
now it has this path
C:\Users\Shmuel
It's the very same user account, but with a changed name. The xml file is stored in:
C:\Users\Shmuel\Documents\Reflect\Dropbox.xml
Edited 28 December 2020 1:44 PM by shmu26
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
You need to be careful with this.  You can delete the definition from REFLECT's "Backup Definition Files" TAB, and in the process preserve the definition at the next window... then add it back in at it's new location.  This will get you your definition in the right place, but your scheduled tasks in the Task Scheduler will still be pointing to the old XML location.  These need to be redone.

I would delete the old scheduled tasks before moving the XML, then re-do the scheduled tasks, via a definition EDIT, under the newly located XMLs.

shmu26
shmu26
Talented Member
Froggie - 28 December 2020 2:07 PM
You need to be careful with this.  You can delete the definition from REFLECT's "Backup Definition Files" TAB, and in the process preserve the definition at the next window... then add it back in at it's new location.  This will get you your definition in the right place, but your scheduled tasks in the Task Scheduler will still be pointing to the old XML location.  These need to be redone.

I would delete the old scheduled tasks before moving the XML, then re-do the scheduled tasks, via a definition EDIT, under the newly located XMLs.

Umm, I did it in the wrong order Sad
I already have my XML in the new location, and I can't figure out how to delete the old scheduled tasks at this point.
Maybe I will just do a full uninstall and start over, rather than trying to salvage a botched job. 
Edited 28 December 2020 2:22 PM by shmu26
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
The problem with the scheduled tasks are they were generated by REFLECT which uses the System acct... you won't  be able to delete them without an complete uninstall... which, at this point, will probably obliterate your just moved XMls if you get rid of everything during the uninstall.
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
By the way, I'm not sure how you changed your UserName, but if you used the Control Panel's name changer, the underlying folder structure doesn't change... only your Desktop presentation.  You should still have the old ADMIN area you started with.
Edited 28 December 2020 2:51 PM by Froggie
shmu26
shmu26
Talented Member
Froggie - 28 December 2020 2:50 PM
By the way, I'm not sure how you changed your UserName, but if you used the Control Panel's name changer, the underlying folder structure doesn't change... only your Desktop presentation.  You should still have the old ADMIN area you started with.

No, the name change involved a registry hack. The folder structure is indeed changed. I suspected that might create issues...
I did a full uninstall, so you don't need to waste more time and brains on this one.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search