Macrium Reflect 8 Beta Tester

Author
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
During the last couple of major releases, if the next version made it out during February, usually (although not guaranteed) if a NEW license was purchased in the last few months (most of the talk was concerning BLACK FRIDAY around Thanksgiving and beyond), the major upgrade being offered was made available to those users for FREE (like this Christmas purchase offer above).  If your license was older than that defined period, they usually offered an upgrade for those with the previous version for 50% OFF.

None of the above is guaranteed, though... just a trend that's been noticed in the past.

Edited 24 December 2020 9:40 PM by Froggie
Danskeman
Danskeman
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)
jphughan - 22 December 2020 7:55 AM
WOW! That enhancements list includes a lot of items in the “Aggregated quick win feature requests” thread that I created in this Wish List section to keep track of several ideas that have popped up throughout the forum from various users, some of which have been suggested multiple times. This release should make several users quite happy. Looking forward to it! Smile

The enhancement about including the date in the file name is interesting, but that’s only the date of the root Full. It would be nice if each backup had its own date in its file name, since in some backup strategies the backup date doesn’t match either the creation date or the modification date. Based on my testing, Reflect already doesn't seem to rely on file names at all to figure out how backups are related to each other. I changed files that were part of the same set to names that were completely different from each other and Reflect still worked with them all properly, so this type of per-backup date naming would seem feasible from that perspective. I also wonder how the “root Full date” mechanism will work in Synthetic Full scenarios where the backup date of the Full keeps moving forward. Will all of the files in the set be renamed every time that happens?

I see they have improved the partition arrangements when restoring to a larger drive.  When windows changed the default partition layout so winRE partition is after the C drive, the automatic sizing of the C partition (used to be last) no longer worked, and you either had to do it manually or use a 3rd party partition tool.  It is now clever enough to detect if last partition is aC is the system partition and move it to end, and expand the last expandable partition.

Only minor issue as far as I can tell if you had say a C partition followed by D partition, you can expand D only or BOTH C&D in proportion,  You do not seem to have option to expand C drive but leave D same size.  It would be nice if you could SELECT the partition to be expanded.

Still, this looks like a good improvement which has been discussed by us in wishlist.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Judging by the screenshots and the “Using Layout for precise positioning” section of the KB, you can still adjust partition sizes manually. The DEFAULT is proportional resizing, but that doesn’t mean you’re stuck with that.
Edited 1 January 2021 4:25 PM by jphughan
alQamar
alQamar
Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)
happy new year everyone!

@Danskeman can you explain what screenshots you are referring to? Has anyone of you got access to the beta?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
I’m the one who mentioned screenshots, and I’m referring to the ones here, especially the one in the last section (and the text accompanying that section): https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=47024637#content/view/47024637
alQamar
alQamar
Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)
Thank you @jphughan
Danskeman
Danskeman
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)Proficient Member (233 reputation)
jphughan - 1 January 2021 4:23 PM
Judging by the screenshots and the “Using Layout for precise positioning” section of the KB, you can still adjust partition sizes manually. The DEFAULT is proportional resizing, but that doesn’t mean you’re stuck with that.

Sure thing but an option to automatically expand or shrink a selected partition rather than last one or all (contiguous?) would be nice.  However, the new options are enough to make me definitely upgrade one of my five licences. 

I doubt I will pay to upgrade the other four (I really only use two of them now and then anyway).  I will probably just wait until next year for Black Friday and hope the now "traditional" 50% offer  is repeated and buy 4 V8 licences then, and I will then give away my 4 V7 licences as presents.
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
jphughan - 22 December 2020 3:12 PM
Froggie, the section that mentions UFDs also includes “Hourly Backups”. Or is that not close enough to continuous for your purposes?

Which section mentions UFDs?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Gork - 7 January 2021 2:58 PM
jphughan - 22 December 2020 3:12 PM
Froggie, the section that mentions UFDs also includes “Hourly Backups”. Or is that not close enough to continuous for your purposes?

Which section mentions UFDs?

The main page lists it in the Coming Soon section.
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
@jphughan
Oh, I finally figured out where you're referring to.  Thanks - the bottom of the page.  I completely skipped over that part of the page because its typeface and layout is in such a way it appeared to me to be a regular "footer" that one often sees on the bottom of web pages.  "About us" or that type of a thing.  I must've read every word above that area 10 times and clicked on each link in the list on the page and read every one of those pages looking for the reference!  Ugh.
Edited 9 January 2021 9:44 AM by Gork
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search