Macrium Reflect 8 Beta Tester

Author
Dypsis
Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
As a very long time user of Macrium Reflect, I would be interested in beta testing version 8 if it is going to be offered.

I have noticed in this recently posted Macrium Reflect v8.0 Beta document that there is a link for a personal invitation.
The link leads to a Macrium Reflect Beta v8.0 Download page.

May Macrium Reflect remain strong and a market leader in 2021.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

All the best...

Edited 22 December 2020 6:14 AM by Dypsis
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
WOW! That enhancements list includes a lot of items in the “Aggregated quick win feature requests” thread that I created in this Wish List section to keep track of several ideas that have popped up throughout the forum from various users, some of which have been suggested multiple times. This release should make several users quite happy. Looking forward to it! Smile

The enhancement about including the date in the file name is interesting, but that’s only the date of the root Full. It would be nice if each backup had its own date in its file name, since in some backup strategies the backup date doesn’t match either the creation date or the modification date. Based on my testing, Reflect already doesn't seem to rely on file names at all to figure out how backups are related to each other. I changed files that were part of the same set to names that were completely different from each other and Reflect still worked with them all properly, so this type of per-backup date naming would seem feasible from that perspective. I also wonder how the “root Full date” mechanism will work in Synthetic Full scenarios where the backup date of the Full keeps moving forward. Will all of the files in the set be renamed every time that happens?
Edited 22 December 2020 8:01 AM by jphughan
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)
Well, for me the list of "enhancements" isn't as impressive as it may be to others.  I'm still waiting for the "Coming Soon" item of v7 (February 2017) called "Continuous Incrementals."  Based on the enhancement list mentioned above, I can safely say it will, most likely, never arrive in this product.

The other very useful feature, now mentioned in "Coming Soon" for v8 is the ability to image FLASH Media, specifically UFDs.  I surely hope this doesn't go the way of v7's "Coming Soon" features... Smile

Edited 22 December 2020 2:27 PM by Froggie
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Froggie, the section that mentions UFDs also includes “Hourly Backups”. Or is that not close enough to continuous for your purposes?
Edited 22 December 2020 3:33 PM by jphughan
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)
I stand corrected... "Hourly Backups" are sure a step forward from before (I need a slightly finer resolution, personally).  We'll have to wait and see on the implementation... but I guess it's a start.

Thanks, JP!

Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick O'Keefe
Talented Member
Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)Talented Member (185 reputation)
How does one request to be part of the beta test?  I assume I've too new to MR, and use too few of its advanced functions to qualify for selection, but I'd still like to give it a try.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Haven’t seen a formal request form, and the KB article mentions an invitation. But Macrium developers are active on these forums, so I suppose this thread is as good a way as any to communicate interest if Macrium wants some additional testers.
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
v6's BETA got into the wild and Macrium wound up having tons of testers Smile , v7's BETA they did on their own (v6 testers offered their help, Macrium declined).  It looks like v8 may have some invitations (v8's CBT BETA is already active with invitations, I believe).
Edited 22 December 2020 6:46 PM by Froggie
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Not aware of a V8 CBT beta myself, and I don’t see any mention of CBT changes on the V8 KB page except for CBT support ReFS. But I’m also not a CBT user, and even if I were, I don’t use ReFS, so that may be why I haven’t heard about it. I tested the V8 version of viBoot that supports VirtualBox though.
Edited 22 December 2020 6:50 PM by jphughan
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Sorry, my bad... that's viBOOT beta.  No CBT that I'm aware of other than new FileSystem support.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search