Clone a brand new computer

Author
Clinton Wright
Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
How do I go about cloning a new Dell Precision workstation? I want to do this clone before starting up the OS So I won't have MR install.
Is this possible with Paid for Ver 7 Home,
I have 4 different machines I have Boot Recovery USB for Will one of them boot this new Win 10 Pro workstation
Or is there some other way to accomplished this
I will be cloning an m.2 NVNe 256GB to an m.2 NVME 512GB This machine has never been started up Yet
I'm quite aware of how to use MR and cloning,  just not without a Boot USB on an installed computer
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
In many cases, Rescue Media created on a "foreign" PC can work on other PCs.  That's more likely if the Rescue Media was created using WinPE/RE 10 rather than an older Windows kernel.  And if it doesn't, there are ways to manually add drivers, but that involves more steps.  I'd suggest just testing it out.  Boot your new workstation from one of your existing Rescue Media builds and see if it can see the internal storage and any external storage or network locations you might need.  If so, fantastic.  Rescue Media can be used to perform clones and image backups, not just restores.  If your Rescue Media doesn't see the internal storage, the most likely driver that's missing is a RAID controller, possibly the Intel Rapid Storage controller.

Out of curiosity, why is it critical to clone from one disk to another before you even start up the system?  If you wanted to capture an image backup just to preserve the factory state as a file somewhere, I could certainly see that being useful, but if you're just cloning to a larger storage device, it doesn't seem crucial to do that upfront.  People clone systems that have been used for a long time over to larger storage pretty regularly.

Clinton Wright
Clinton Wright
Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)Junior Member (97 reputation)
jphughan - 10 December 2020 8:57 PM
In many cases, Rescue Media created on a "foreign" PC can work on other PCs.  That's more likely if the Rescue Media was created using WinPE/RE 10 rather than an older Windows kernel.  And if it doesn't, there are ways to manually add drivers, but that involves more steps.  I'd suggest just testing it out.  Boot your new workstation from one of your existing Rescue Media builds and see if it can see the internal storage and any external storage or network locations you might need.  If so, fantastic.  Rescue Media can be used to perform clones and image backups, not just restores.  If your Rescue Media doesn't see the internal storage, the most likely driver that's missing is a RAID controller, possibly the Intel Rapid Storage controller.

Out of curiosity, why is it critical to clone from one disk to another before you even start up the system?  If you wanted to capture an image backup just to preserve the factory state as a file somewhere, I could certainly see that being useful, but if you're just cloning to a larger storage device, it doesn't seem crucial to do that upfront.  People clone systems that have been used for a long time over to larger storage pretty regularly.

Just to keep the original SSD as New once I boot it I'll have to set it up and all that. Its a Dell
The boot USB shouldhave the RAID drivers on it since the one that I'm replacing is booting RAID I can Look into to I'm guessing it will have it. Hopefully
I will probably sell this unit in 5 years  and I can then just drop the original SSD back in and I'm golden.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Somehow your reply got buried inside the quote block for my original post. But you might want to consider making an image backup of the original SSD anyway. It would allow you to use the 256 GB SSD for another purpose if desired and at a bare minimum it would give you a backup copy of your system’s original state, which you could restore onto that drive or any other in the future. But realistically, chances are that by the time you sell it, the version of Windows it came with will be so outdated that any reasonably tech-savvy person would perform a clean install of the current Windows release anyway rather than starting from the build you’ve got now.
Clinton Wright
Clinton Wright
Thanks for the reply
My main intention is to save the original SSD as New, I plan to sell the unit in 3 to 5 years, and that way I just drop the original SSD back in and let it go.
Also if I boot that SSD I'll have to go through the Dell Set up routine. I rather go through that on the SSD that I'm going to actually use
I should have the RST drivers on my Rescue USB since that computer is booting RAID  Fingers Crossed

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search