Rescue Media Stick Use

Author
treptowers
New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi. Can i use a generated Rescue Stick on multiple Systems or must i create a Stick for every Laptop i use ?
capair45
capair45
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
treptowers - 8 December 2020 8:28 PM
Hi. Can i use a generated Rescue Stick on multiple Systems or must i create a Stick for every Laptop i use ?

Once rescue media is created, you should test it to insure that it boots the computer and can see all the internal, external, and disks that are used to store the images you will create.

Rescue media built on one PC is not necessarily guaranteed to recognize all the hardware on a different PC.  That being said, I had a USB rescue stick that would boot both my laptop and desktop without issue.

The key to success on different computers is the availability of software drivers to run/manage particular hardware on a device

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1237
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6161
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.4.6

Edited 8 December 2020 9:12 PM by capair45
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Aside from the technical concerns mentioned above, Macrium's licensing policy is that Rescue Media created by paid version of Reflect can only be used on PCs that actually have a Reflect license associated with them.  This is presumably because Rescue Media generated by paid Reflect has some functionality not available in Rescue Media generated by Reflect Free.  But if for example you have multiple PCs in your home and they all have licenses for the same paid edition of Reflect, then if you find that Rescue Media built on PC #1 works properly on PCs #2-4, then fantastic.  Just make sure you actually test that.  There are certain "perks" of having Rescue Media generated by the actual PC you're using it with, though.  For example, when Reflect generates Rescue Media, it will copy things such as stored network share credentials, the contents of the "Folder to search" list, information about drive letter assignments within Windows, and (optionally) BitLocker auto-unlock files into the Rescue Media.  Those things can be convenient to have available in your Rescue environment, and therefore it can be convenient to have Rescue Media generated by that specific PC, but none of those things are essential.

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
If you're going to use one general Rescue Media, as was said, at least test it on each PC you intend to use it on before you actually have a recovery case where you need it.  Make sure all internal, external, and network drives are recognized.

And there are certain cases where it may be beneficial to create system specific Rescue Media.  For instance, I had a PC where I created Rescue Media and tried booting it on a new PC before starting Windows for the first time to get a factory default backup.  The new system had an SSD that the old one didn't, and the old Rescue Media did not recognize the SSD in the new system.  Once I created new Rescue Media on the new PC, it did recognize the SSD.  And when I tried this Rescue Media on my next PC, it did recognize the SSD in that one.  So, Rescue Media generated on one PC may not necessarily work on another but may work on a different one.  Thus, it's best to test each time to make sure.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
^ Situations like that are likely driver-related.  Those issues with "universal" Rescue Media can discovered and even fixed beforehand if you actually test the Rescue Media first to discover the problem.  It's possible to have a Reflect installation create Rescue Media that includes drivers for hardware that doesn't even exist on the system creating the Rescue Media.  That is a very handy capability when you intend to create Rescue Media to be used with multiple systems if you find that it doesn't work that way out of the box.

Edited 9 December 2020 12:14 AM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
In my case, it was most likely the driver for SSD's was not in my Rescue Media because my old system did not have one.  Thus, when the Rescue Media was built on the new system, the drivers for SSD's were added because that system had an SSD.  Just a guess; probably wrong.  Smile

Rootman
Rootman
Talented Member
Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)
I have 5 PCs I license with Macrium.  I dutifully create rescue Media ISO file for each and every one of them. I can boot to any of them on the same stick using a tool called Easy2Boot.  

That being said, I've launched the wrong one before and still managed to use it.  As long as the hardware is not too different it should work fine, it may not have ethernet or wifi, but if it can see the disk it should be able to backup or restore the system.  
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search