What happens if computer is powered off at time of schedule?

Author
dragon-sleep
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
New Macrium user here, just purchased a license.

I'm backing up multiple drives using the Grandfather, Father, Son template that runs monthly, weekly and daily.

What happens if the computer is powered off during the scheduled time of backup? Will this create a problem. It's hard for me to figure out the times right now.
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)
If the PC is powered off, as opposed to, say, just being asleep, then I'd have to guess scheduled backups won't run.  That's probably one of the reasons the scheduled backup option to run missed backups at next opportunity was implemented.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
It won't create a problem, but if your system is fully shut down, then Reflect can't power it back on.  It can wake your computer from sleep, however.  But as dbminter said, there is an option to run the backup as soon as possible if a scheduled execution was missed.  It's enabled by default, but if that wouldn't be desirable, you can change it.  To do so, click Add/Edit Schedule in the definition file wizard and then click the Conditions button.

dragon-sleep
dragon-sleep
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Thank you both. I didn't realize the run the back up as soon as possible condition existed. That will work for me.
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)
There are cases where that option may not be desired.  For instance, I disable it in my schedules.  I learned if I ever have to restore a really old image to fix a problem, then all the backups that were supposed to run since that image was taken and the current date want to execute one after the other.  Since I have like 25 some odd schedules, it's a bit of a pain to manually have to cancel each backup that wants to run.  So, I disabled it.  However, it's entirely up to the individual whether they find it more of a convenience or a nuisance.

dragon-sleep
dragon-sleep
In my case my computer isn't always on at a scheduled time. I have one backup scheduled that backs up three separate drives. My logic is that is that if I miss a schedule due to the computer being off, not slept, then the backup can run at the next opportunity. I don't see how this could become a nuisance in my case but maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying. If using the Grandfather, Father, Son template and I need to restore an old backup why would running backups at the next opportunity if missed create a potential amount of extra work?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
dragon-sleep - 1 December 2020 3:51 AM
In my case my computer isn't always on at a scheduled time. I have one backup scheduled that backs up three separate drives. My logic is that is that if I miss a schedule due to the computer being off, not slept, then the backup can run at the next opportunity. I don't see how this could become a nuisance in my case but maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying. If using the Grandfather, Father, Son template and I need to restore an old backup why would running backups at the next opportunity if missed create a potential amount of extra work?

It sounds like you're running a single image backup job.  That's a pretty simple case.  But dbminter if I'm reading his post correctly is saying that he has 25 separate Reflect jobs.  He might have lots of source disks being backed up to multiple different destinations, or perhaps some File & Folder backup jobs.  Whatever the case, let's say all 25 of those jobs are scheduled to run daily on your system, then on Thursday you restore your system from the previous Tuesday's backup.  When your system boots after that restore, it will see that it's 2 days later than when it was last used and thus that it missed 25 backup jobs.  At that point Reflect will queue up 25 jobs to run back to back.  That can indeed be a nuisance.  Reflect won't run multiple missed occurrences of the SAME job back to back -- meaning if you have a daily backup scheduled and turn your PC off for a week, Reflect won't generate 7 backups one after the other when you turn your PC back on -- but if you have lots of completely separate jobs, you can end up with a bit of a backlog to churn through.

Another reason to disable that option is that you won't necessarily want a backup to run the moment you start up your system.  In my case, I run daily backups, so if my system was off at that time, I'm usually fine waiting for the next scheduled backup.  And if not, I can just run one manually.  It's unlikely that my system would miss several consecutive scheduled occurrences.

Edited 1 December 2020 4:10 AM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
To clarify my situation, there are 7 Fulls devoted to one for each day of the week.  There are 4 Fulls devoted to every 7 days, e.g. a weekly backup.  There are 12 Fulls devoted to one for each month of the year.  There's 1 monthly File And Folder backup that gets run on Day 1 of every month.  Lastly, there's a yearly Full that runs on January first.  I don't do any Incremental or Differentials on schedule simply because I prefer Fulls to have on hand for each backup.  So, there are precisely 25 schedules on my system.  I've had to do things like restore back a few months to fix an issue I wasn't aware of until it had already been absorbed into current backups and only an older Monthly backup was unaffected.  So, restoring down to that old an image would cause all the missed backups since then to want to run if I did not disable the option to run missed backups at the next available opportunity.  That's at least 7 backups, for the dailies, plus however many months I had to go back to.  Which also meant the weeklies were missed.

I admit this backup routine I have uses more time and disk space, but it's my preference.  Your mileage will vary.  Smile

dragon-sleep
dragon-sleep
Lots to consider! Thanks for the context.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search