My cloned drive will not boot windows 10

Author
Mark Biasotti
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello there, first time on forum and first time that I've transfered my win10 from my current SSD drive to a larger SSD. The current drive is a corsair 250G SDD and the newer drive is a Western Digital 1TB  SN750 NVMe - WDS100T3X0C.  I installed the new drive in my MB M2 slot and then launched windows and verified that the Drive exists, but not unallocated.
I followed videos on how to clone my current SSD to the new SSD. Below is a view of my clone process:

I've attached my VSS log of my clone process
When I go to change the boot order in my BIOS to the newly cloned drive to be the first to boot, windows does not load it and warns me of a problem.

I’m not sure what I did wrong.  I have attempted this a few times in the last few hours but have not been successful?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Attachments
VSS-log-11-30-2020.txt (0 views, 4.00 KB)
clone-process.png (1 view, 26.00 KB)
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)
I'm guessing the System Reserved partitions are the UEFI ones, so it's probably not that they're missing.  Did you try booting into Rescue Media and use the Fix Boot Problems tool?

Mark Biasotti
Mark Biasotti
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
dbminter - 30 November 2020 7:15 PM
I'm guessing the System Reserved partitions are the UEFI ones, so it's probably not that they're missing.  Did you try booting into Rescue Media and use the Fix Boot Problems tool?

How do I boot into rescue media?
Mark Biasotti
Mark Biasotti
Mark Biasotti - 30 November 2020 7:42 PM

How do I boot into rescue media?

Is the rescue media something that I need to create from Macruim?

Mark Biasotti
Mark Biasotti
Okay, answering my own question - Yes, I create a rescue media (I can do it as a DVD) - I'll give that a try.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
@Mark Biasotti Unless you plan to use that 700GB+ of unallocated space to create one or more new partitions, you should rerun the clone and this time stage it in a way that causes that space to be allocated to the Windows partition.  The fact that you have a Recovery partition between that partition and your unallocated space will make it harder to do that after the fact.  See Steps 4 and 5 of this page from Macrium's documentation covering how to clone a disk for how to stage that type of restore.

And if you've moving from SATA to NVMe or vice versa, you might have to run ReDeploy afterward, which can be accomplished from Rescue Media.  Same goes for the Fix Boot Problems wizard.  I'd recommend disconnecting the original disk before running those and when first attempting to boot from the new disk, even if you want to reconnect it to use it for another purpose later.

Edited 30 November 2020 8:14 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)

No UEFI partitions since the disks are MBR.  Some Legacy BIOS systems now create a small partition in front of the Windows partition to store the bootloader.

Edited 30 November 2020 8:12 PM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)
Ah, I failed to see MBR in the screen shots.  My mistake.

I also forgot to recommend, too, disconnecting the old drive and then reconnecting it when the clone target drive was booting properly.  I briefly thought of it but failed to actually verbalize it.

Didn't even consider ReDeploy.  Smile

Mark Biasotti
Mark Biasotti
jphughan - 30 November 2020 8:12 PM
@Mark Biasotti Unless you plan to use that 700GB+ of unallocated space to create one or more new partitions, you should rerun the clone and this time stage it in a way that causes that space to be allocated to the Windows partition.  The fact that you have a Recovery partition between that partition and your unallocated space will make it harder to do that after the fact.  See Steps 4 and 5 of this page from Macrium's documentation covering how to clone a disk for how to stage that type of restore.

And if you've moving from SATA to NVMe or vice versa, you might have to run ReDeploy afterward, which can be accomplished from Rescue Media.  Same goes for the Fix Boot Problems wizard.  I'd recommend disconnecting the original disk before running those and when first attempting to boot from the new disk, even if you want to reconnect it to use it for another purpose later.

BTW, I created a rescue media and chose the option "Windows Boot Menu" restarted and ran the Fit boot program at startup. After completing that, I tried to boot from the new windows 10 volume but it still doesn't work. I will follow your advice above and make a rerun the clone and read the documentation carefully. As far as allocating the unused portion of the new disk - I'm having trouble with that part - but will read some more to make sure I'm doing it correctly. 
BTW, since I started doing this yesterday, I'm not sure if they were there the first time I did this, but I'm confused about the additional partitions on my current win10 disk call "System Reserved G" and "NTFS Primary"  - along with the C - NTFS active partion?
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
The System Reserved partition is, I think, the boot partition.  The PC boots off of that partition and then loads Windows from the Windows partition.  Do you have Bitlocker enabled on any partitions?  I believe the SRP also contains some kind of startup files for decrypting Bitlocker encrypted partitions on startup of the PC. 

The active partition would most likely be your Windows one.  C: is the most common drive letter assigned to the Windows partition.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search