Incremental forever retention

Author
jalfreziboy
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I run a File and Folder backup daily using Incremental forever to save disk space. It is set to retain 6 incremental backups and create a synthetic Full and it all works fine. My question is what is the advantage of retaining the last 6 incrementals if the create Synthetic full is checked? Would I not still have a valid backup if I only retained 1 incremental backup with Synthetic full checked and save even more disk space?  Forgive me if I have missed something that is blindingly obvious but I am a newcomer to Macrium reflect. Thank you
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
If all you're interested in is the last STATE of your System then 1-Inc would be fine.  The additional INCs allow you access to different STATEs at different times during your image chain.  This may be important if your System anomaly occurred more than 1-INC ago and you need access to a time point somewhere between the anomaly and where you are today... or possibly access to DATA created somewhere along the way between your FULL and your last INC.
jalfreziboy
jalfreziboy
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Froggie - 29 November 2020 12:34 PM
If all you're interested in is the last STATE of your System then 1-Inc would be fine.  The additional INCs allow you access to different STATEs at different times during your image chain.  This may be important if your System anomaly occurred more than 1-INC ago and you need access to a time point somewhere between the anomaly and where you are today... or possibly access to DATA created somewhere along the way between your FULL and your last INC.

Thanks for your reply Froggie, VERY good point. I must admit I was only considering the Last state recovery, thinking about what you say if I were to get a problem that went unnoticed for a couple of days, I could be screwed as I couldn't restore previous to the last state. I will leave it with a weeks worth of incrementals. Many thanks for you sound advice.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search