Unexpected behaviour typing µ in documents.

Author
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Just that.
It's very annoying.

Steps to reproduce:
Install MR on a system with the keyboard layout set to ''US International"
Attempt to type the character µ using the [AltGr]+[m] key combination defined for this keyboard layout.

Instead of the µ character appearing in the document, a window pops open detailing a summary of the last backup.
Opening character map & hunting down the µ character to then copy & paste is long-winded, & shouldn't be necessary.

If I want a information about the last backup, I'll open the logs, either directly or using the program UI.

capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)
Beardy - 22 November 2020 5:04 AM
Just that.
It's very annoying.

Steps to reproduce:
Install MR on a system with the keyboard layout set to ''US International"
Attempt to type the character µ using the [AltGr]+[m] key combination defined for this keyboard layout.

Instead of the µ character appearing in the document, a window pops open detailing a summary of the last backup.
Opening character map & hunting down the µ character to then copy & paste is long-winded, & shouldn't be necessary.

If I want a information about the last backup, I'll open the logs, either directly or using the program UI.

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/How+to+configure+the+ReflectMonitor+hot+key

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1052
Macrium Reflect 8.0.5994
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.4.2

Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick O'Keefe
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)Proficient Member (354 reputation)
That would allow a different letter key to be used, but it doesn't explain why AltGr is acting like Ctrl+Alt.  On my keyboard (and I assume most US keyboards) the right and left Alt keys behave the same, and Windows does not provide a way to remap them.  (There are 3rd party remapping tools including at least one from Microsoft.)

Wikipedia has the following comment in its article on AltGr:
On a typical, Windows-compatible PC keyboard, the AltGr key, when present, takes the place of the right-hand Alt key: if not engraved as such, that key may still be remapped to behave as though it is,[1] (or emulated using a chord such as Ctrl+Alt). In macOS, the Option key has functions similar to the AltGr key.
To me, that sort of implies the AltGr and Ctrl+Alt function the same.  That would explain the behavior seen.

Changing the mapping in Reflect would eliminate the problem for mu but would just move it to another character.  Reflect really needs to provide a way to either totally disable its mapping or allow users complete control over the mapping so that Crtl+Alt is not used.  @Beardy, perhaps you should put a request in the Wish List section of the forum.  Or if this use of the hot-key is really problematic, open a problem ticket.

capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)Expert (995 reputation)
Patrick O'Keefe - 24 November 2020 10:23 PM
That would allow a different letter key to be used, but it doesn't explain why AltGr is acting like Ctrl+Alt.  On my keyboard (and I assume most US keyboards) the right and left Alt keys behave the same, and Windows does not provide a way to remap them.  (There are 3rd party remapping tools including at least one from Microsoft.)

Wikipedia has the following comment in its article on AltGr:
On a typical, Windows-compatible PC keyboard, the AltGr key, when present, takes the place of the right-hand Alt key: if not engraved as such, that key may still be remapped to behave as though it is,[1] (or emulated using a chord such as Ctrl+Alt). In macOS, the Option key has functions similar to the AltGr key.
To me, that sort of implies the AltGr and Ctrl+Alt function the same.  That would explain the behavior seen.

Changing the mapping in Reflect would eliminate the problem for mu but would just move it to another character.  Reflect really needs to provide a way to either totally disable its mapping or allow users complete control over the mapping so that Crtl+Alt is not used.  @Beardy, perhaps you should put a request in the Wish List section of the forum.  Or if this use of the hot-key is really problematic, open a problem ticket.

That's correct but it would also allow users to disable the hot key entirely by de-selecting the check box.  It seemed to me that the OP would access the logs if needed and had no need for the CTRL+ALT+M function.  I know there have been other users who have issues with that hot-key function.  I rarely use it.

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1052
Macrium Reflect 8.0.5994
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.4.2

Beardy
Beardy
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)Proficient Member (382 reputation)
@capair45 Thanks for the link, though I did find that independently after posting.

@pokeefe On US International & European ISO layouts, right alt [AltGr] does indeed map to Ctrl+Alt, & can't be remapped even with third party software.

Ctrl+Alt is a poor combination, inspecting US International (example here) shows there are literally only 6 keys where it wouldn't interfere with *something*, which probably explains why Microsoft only use Ctrl+Alt+Tab & Ctrl+Alt+Del even with the huge number of Windows hotkeys & keyboard shortcuts available.

Providing full control over what key combination a user wants (if any) would indeed be more helpful, sticking US International keyboard users with a choice of only six keys, is really rather limiting & leads to an unintuitive shortcut if set.
HolyK
HolyK
New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)
There is another "Annoying" one which is "Ctrl+Shift+S" which pops up the "Submit case to Macrium reflect support" form. It conflicts with my "Clip Screenshot" shortcut in Evernote. I found this when i wanted to make some screenshots of my configuration for documentation purposes. I had to manually call the Clip function dozen times to get the screens i wanted. It was hard as the Ctrl+Shift+S combo is deeply engraved in my muscle memory (so temp re-binding was even worse BigGrin). Luckily the conflict happens only if Macrium UI is the active/focused window, no issues if it is in tray or minimized.

Full key-binding interface under options would be veeeeery useful. (A way to trigger specific INC backup ad-hoc would be sweeet! ...Yes it could be done via script + shortcut + keyboard combo but native support to add a custom keyboard combo to a specific backup definition ... daaaamnnn!)

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search