WIN PE 10.0 (64 Bit) no network access

Author
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)
Group: Administrators
@webb

Thanks for getting back. Sorry you are continuing to have problems:

Can you confirm the following:

1. Are you using a wired network? Windows PE does not support wireless networking
2. If wired, is this issue isolated to PE 10, does PE 5 exhibit the same behaviour.?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Walt
Walt
Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Stephen - 3 November 2015 11:04 AM
An update has been released which addresses the network share issue in PE. Please could you all update and let me know if you are still experiencing an issue.

@webb have you read through this article?

Resolving network issues in Windows PE - http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Resolving+network+issues+in+Windows+PE

Hi Support, 
it works now how expected. Thank you. 

Walt
Walt
Walt
Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)
webb - 4 November 2015 3:09 AM
I was hopeful that build 909 would fix the issue, but no joy.  WinPE still has a non-local IP address (i.e., not 192.168.x.x), and it still gets my default gateway wrong (it had been blank, now it's 0.0.0.0.)  As the default gateway is my DHCP server, it's not getting a DHCP address, and the router doesn't know about the WinPE system, even if I put in the appropriate IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway--the router basically doesn't know the WinPE system is on the network. 

--Webb

P.S. Yes, I have read that article in the knowledge base.  I basically can't ping anything on my LAN from WinPE. I didn't try to map a network drive, but given that WinPE can't see anything on the network, I don't think it will be successful.

It seems to me that you are trying to connect over a WLAN. As far I know this don't work. You need a wired connection. 

Walt
webb
webb
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
I am using a wired gigabit local network but have not yet tried PE 5. Will do so in the next day or two and let you know.

--Webb

P.S. The (wired) network is behaving normally under regular circumstances.  Just as a check, though, I ran the built-in Dell diagnostics and got a complaint about the network hardware, so that might be a factor. I am running the issue to ground with Dell support.
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
I just upgraded to build 909 and have some mixed information to provide.

The first thing I did after booting to the newly-created PE media was to test to ensure I could start an imaging operation and save it to my network share.  It worked perfectly, not asking me for a un/pw to the share which does not require one.

But when I went to the restore tab in Reflect PE it did not list any of my image files.  I clicked on refresh - they popped up immediately.  This, of course, is different than how it was before the last major update - those files showed up without having to refresh.

I rebooted to the rescue media for further testing.  This time I did not open the network share by first running an image backup.  I noticed, as before, no image files showed up in the restore tab.  I also noticed the error I reported earlier in this thread was NOT present.  (Error: The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.)  I clicked refresh, but no list of image files populated.  Instead a timer (the circling circle of dots) appeared with a link next to it which said, "stop."  The dots were circling indicating Reflect was trying to connect to the restore locations.

While I waited I checked the option which shows where backup files are located.  My network share was located in the list, and was properly entered.  (There was another "generic" location in the list as well, on one of my internal hard drives in a folder named "My Backups".  I never entered this into Reflect as a valid save point for image files.  How do I get rid of THAT?!)  I waited perhaps 5 minutes watching the circles twirl around then finally clicked on the stop link.  Nothing happened.  I clicked several times.  Nothing.  So I closed Reflect PE.  It closed, but the computer did not reboot as it normally would.  So I clicked on the red icon to reboot.  Nothing.  I noticed there was something in the taskbar which may have been indicating a window was waiting for input, but I could not open a window from that taskbar icon or close it out.  Finally an error window popped up:  "Macrium Reflect has encountered a serious problem.  Dump file ... created  Please email this file to [Macrium]  Thank you."

So, it would appear Reflect PE is still having issues with network shares.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)
Ho Gork

Thanks for getting back. Sorry you are having more problems. 

But when I went to the restore tab in Reflect PE it did not list any of my image files.  I clicked on refresh - they popped up immediately.  This, of course, is different than how it was before the last major update - those files showed up without having to refresh.

There appears to be a timing issue with connection to your NAS. Was the NAS 'sleeping'  at the time of first connection?

While I waited I checked the option which shows where backup files are located.  My network share was located in the list, and was properly entered.  (There was another "generic" location in the list as well, on one of my internal hard drives in a folder named "My Backups".  I never entered this into Reflect as a valid save point for image files.  How do I get rid of THAT?!)

Backup locations are populated from the Macrium Reflect settings entered when Reflect is run under Windows. The local file systems are searched for HKCU registry hives that contain Reflect settings. These entries are stored per user in HKCU, so, if you have multiple user accounts check all users for Macrium Reflect folder settings settings. 

Finally an error window popped up:  "Macrium Reflect has encountered a serious problem.  Dump file ... created  Please email this file to [Macrium]

Can you please check the root 'C:' for a file named reflectv6.1-909-x64-xx.dmp? If can locate the file can you please attach it to a support ticket so we can investigate further:

http://www.macrium.com/support.aspx#tickets

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)

No, the NAS was not sleeping - it never sleeps.  I tried a few reboots into the rescue media with the same results.  It acts as if Reflect PE doesn't automatically check the destination as it has in the past.

I am aware that Reflect PE uses the settings created in Reflect to interrogate the backup locations as created in the full Reflect version.  What it feels like on my end is that the changes enacted to fix the issues reported in this thread might still need some polishing.  The most obvious thing which points me toward this line of thinking is that the PE5 rescue media works just fine.

I have sent the dump file as requested.

webb
webb
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
I have fixed the Dell network problem (an errant BIOS setting), so I rebuilt a PE 10 version using new build of 6.1 (936) with high expectations. Unfortunately, the same problem occurred.  So, I rebuilt a PE 5 using build 936. Still had the same problem.

As a reminder, the problem is that booting into PE doesn't get a local DHCP address from my router, and thus PE  doesn't see my local network, and my local network doesn't see PE.  I can't ping my router. Jamming in the local address, default mask, etc., that the DHCP service usually assigns my system was no help, and clicking on "Renew" hangs the system entirely, forcing a hard reboot.

Should I file a ticket?  If so, how do I do that?

--Webb  

P.S. In case it matters, I'm using the boot partition on a small USB 3.0 SSD for the rescue system (my desktop is currently configured with only a DVD-ROM, so I can't create a rescue DVD.)
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Hi @webb

So we can investigate further please open a support ticket here:

http://www.macrium.com/support.aspx#tickets

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Gork
Gork
Guru
(There was another "generic" location in the list as well, on one of my internal hard drives in a folder named "My Backups".  I never entered this into Reflect as a valid save point for image files.  How do I get rid of THAT?!)

I addressed this issue by removing the extra backup locations from the installed version of Reflect.  I have no idea how they got there - perhaps during some upgrade install Reflect entered them as "default locations" or something.

So there is still one problem remaining of those I have reported.  When I boot into PE the restore and backup tabs contain no previous backups.  When I hit refresh, after several seconds the information populates.  As I noted earlier in this thread, this is different than how previous versions of Reflect PE work.  All the information used to show up automatically when the program started - no need to click refresh after booting from the rescue media.

Edited 30 November 2015 8:37 AM by Gork
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search