WIN PE 10.0 (64 Bit) no network access

Author
Walt
Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, 
after upgrading to Macrium 6.1.865 and WIN PE 10.0 I don't have access to my network files. Interestingly when I switch to WIN PE 5.0 everything works fine. I can connect to my network drive and access all my backup files. 

Network address settings in both versions are (WIN PE 5.0 and 10.0) ok - filled with IP data. In WIN PE 10.0 I can ping my network device at 192.168.2.xx . But I can't attach with \\XXXXXX
Response is:: "Network Path could not be found" . Network adapter is "Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection". All drivers are ok since WIN PE 5.0 would'n work.

WIN PE 10.0 appears in "Italic Font" mode when booting from Boot Menu or from USB stick. I don't know whether this is a hint that this installation is missing something.  

Please advise how to proceed in order to fix this. 

Thank you. 

Walt
Stephen
Stephen
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (1.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (1.1K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Walt,

Thanks for posting. 

WinPE 10 uses an italic font throughout the menus. This is nothing to worry about, its the direction Microsoft are taking when styling WinPE 10.

There may be an issue when using PE-Explorer to browse network shares however, using Reflect to access network locations should work for you just fine.  Our development team are investigating the issue.

Please see this knowledge base article for instruction on accessing shares using Reflect.

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Accessing+network+shares+in+Windows+PE

Kind Regards

Stephen

Next Webinar

Walt
Walt
Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)
Thanks.
The knowledgebase article reflects the way it should work. As wrote it doesn't work with PE 10.0.
I have switched back to PE 5.0 until your support find a solution for this issue. 
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
I am having this same problem.  To add information, I am unable to use either PE-Explorer or Reflect to access network shares when booted to the rescue media.  (Using the IP address of the network share, such as \\192.168.1.36\share\folder as I've always done.)  I unsuccessfully tried to use PE-Explorer to have the NIC use a static IP address as well.  Though the PE environment seems to see my make/model of onboard NIC cards I am unable to do anything with them.  During the creation process for the Windows PE 10 rescue media if I try to guide the process to the proper driver, either the one I downloaded or the one in the system32 folder, it just tells me no driver found.

For now I created PE 5 rescue media with my Reflect v6.1b865 install on Win10-64 and it's working fine.  If it's helpful the onboard NICs on my ASUS motherboard show as Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller in Windows Device Manager.  Hardware IDs follow:

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_83671043&REV_02
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_83671043
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&CC_0200

Edited 14 October 2015 3:09 PM by Gork
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
I just upgraded to Reflect v6.1.871.  I am now able to connect to network shares from the Windows PE 10 rescue media.  I presume this is due to the release note which indicates:

Windows PE 10 network browsing issue
When accessing password protected network shares in Windows PE 10 the network credentials dialog could fail to provide access to the share. This has been resolved.

That's the good news.  The bad news is there's still an oddity when trying to connect to a network share which requires no username or password.  Instead of just connecting as in versions prior to 6.1.x I get a popup box asking for a username and password to the share.  I am forced to just make up something, such as un = abc; pw = abc.  It does not work if I try to continue without making up a un and pw.  This occurs whether I use PE-Explorer to map the share or Reflect to directly access the share.

Additionally, a small thing.  If I am using the rescue media and physically type the path to save an image to in the Reflect application (such as \\192.168.1.30\share\folder) then try later, without rebooting, to map the same network share in PE-Explorer I receive an error and am not allowed to map the share.

Walt
Walt
I've tested Win PE 10.0 64bit after patching Macrium. Unfortunately there is still no network access possible. No problem with Win PE 5.0 64bit. 

Walt
Walt
Is it possible to delete the previous generated Win PE 10.0 image manually?? And if so, where is it stored? Generally, where are the Win PE images stored? Which directory? 

I would give it a try from scratch after the patch. 

Thanks

Walt
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
@Walt:  In order to benefit from the Windows 10 PE fixes that are included in the Reflect v6.1.871 release, you do need to rebuild your WinPE rescue media after installing that update.  Just run Reflect's Other Tasks -> Create Rescue Media "wizard" in the normal way and it will tell you that a new Reflect version has been installed and it will lead you through the rebuild process to replace the existing Windows 10 PE build.

To answer your specific questions, all of Reflect's WinPE builds are located in subfolders under the \boot\Macrium\ folder.  For the W10PE build, that would be \boot\Macrium\WA10KFiles.  And yes, you can delete any or all of them manually, but you really don't need to in most cases.  Unless you are changing to a different PE version, the "wizard" rebuild process will take care of updating the existing subfolder's contents for you.  Note also that the "Add Recovery Boot Menu Option" depends on the presence of the selected WinPE build under the \boot\Macrium folder.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 17 October 2015 1:40 PM by Arvy
Walt
Walt
@Richard, @Macrium Support
thanks for answering. 

Since last Macrium patch didn't change anything to the problem described above concerning network access via Win PE 10 I thought that manually deleting WIN PE image could change something. 

In fact it didn't change anything. I went through my driver installation and found nothing special in comparison to win PE 5.0 which is connecting to the network without any problems. 

Accidentally I found following way which works with this WIN PE 10.0 version. 

1. Open Macrium Explorer (lower right icon) 
2. Click Map Network Drive
3. Mapped my Network Drive with userid and PW
4. Network Drive was mapped 
5. Afterwards all network connections work without problems

This indicates that there aren't any issues with my driver definitions but that there is still a flaw with Macriums implementation of Win PE 10.0 however.

Walt
Tags
Edited 18 October 2015 1:06 PM by Walt
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
I thought that manually deleting WIN PE image could change something. [...] In fact it didn't change anything.

You're absolutely correct.  Just deleting the WinPE build that was created prior to the latest Reflect release fixes nothing.  You need to rebuild your WinPE rescue media after installing the Reflect v6.1.871 release.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search