Must I start over?

Author
Greg Schultz
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My goal is to transfer an existing version of Windows 10 to a new Intel NUC. I have an image of the existing C: drive and I thought I could restore it to the NUC and bring along the programs and registry.
The problem is that in my earlier enthusiasm, I installed a clean copy of Windows 10 v2004 on the NUC. When I used a rescue disk to restore the "old" version, the NUC wouldn't boot. I used the "Fix Windows Boot" and the ReDeploy options with no success. Whatever I have done to the drive (large SSD) won't let me in. I can boot from the Restore disk, but I can't go past that point to see what is on the drive.
Can I use Macrium to remove everything from the SSD? I won't lose anything that isn't already backed up. Any other tactics that will let me start over?
Thank you.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
So you restored an image from a previous PC onto the NUC's SSD, and now when you boot into Reflect Rescue, you can't see the drive at all anymore?  That doesn't make sense.  If a Rescue Media build can see your SSD initially in order to restore an image onto it, then it should be able to see it afterward because the Rescue Media's ability to see an SSD has no dependency on the "data state" of the SSD.  Can you boot into your Rescue Media, go to the Backup tab, and capture a screenshot by clicking the camera icon in the taskbar?  Then post that here.  Assuming the SSD is there, being able to see its partition layout might give some insight as to why it won't boot.  But if the SSD isn't listed there at all, then I'm not sure what to tell you.  You can't use Reflect to do anything to the SSD if it can't see the SSD, although again if it saw the SSD in order to perform a restore, I can't imagine why it would stop now.

Another question that might be relevant even if you do manage to post a screenshot that shows the SSD.  When you captured an image of your other PC, did you capture ALL of the partitions on that disk?  And did you RESTORE all of them?  You say you have an image of "the existing C drive".  Technically that would just be the Windows partition.  If that's the only thing you backed up and restored, that can be an issue.  If you meant that you have an image of "the entire disk that contains my C drive, including the hidden partitions on that disk", then that's good.

Edited 15 November 2020 5:23 AM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search