I've solved it so bellow is "how" just in case someone has the same "issue".
First ... the "migrated" tasks from Windows Scheduler to Macrium one are not reliable. Something is wrong and you can see multiple threads about this on the forum with various symptoms. I gave up trying to fix the multiple wake-up events caused by single backup definition (System wakes up, backup fails due to the issue above, goes back to hibernation, after 5 min it wakes up again and stays powered on w/o any further actions. WakeUp clearly triggered by Macrium in both cases.) ==> Just disable the migrated schedules and create a new one. The one created in Macrium scheduler will work as expected.
Now for the issue I had ...
- As stated above I've disabled the existing backup schedules (the migrated ones) AND I've created new backup definitions with new names/XMLs but with the same settings like the ones I already had. This might be unnecessary (and time consuming for someone with complex setup) but I did not wanted to take the chances as the issue might be on the backup definition level (they were created back in version 6).
- In the last step of the backup definition I've defined only the retention policy but NO backup schedule execution. Then I saved the backup definition as XML and did not executed the backup at the time of creation.
- I used the "Generate a PowerShell script" for each of the new backup definition and saved the script with matching name.
- Then i went to "PowerShell Files" and edited each of the script by adding following line to the "Func: Main
" on line 74
the " $iExitCode = Backup;
Start-Sleep -s 120 #Wait for network interfaces to actually go fully up!
- Then I scheduled the PowerShell script (not the Backup definition!) via the Macrium scheduler as per my needs including automatic wake-up. (Note that the Hibernation is configured on the backup definition level, not on the schedule).
- Done !
It is working like a charm since then! Two weeks now and no backups missed. Weekly full backups properly wakes up the workstation, waits for these 2 mins so the NIC goes up and connection is established properly. Then backup is performed and PC goes back to hibernation. Daily incremental triggers only if the PC is running and will not wake nor hibernate. If the INC is missed it triggers upon next system start. It honors the delay as well so no issues at all.
It is a bit overkill and simple configuration option for number of attempts/waiting time before giving up would solve this easily but till then it is the only solution which works as desired (at least for me).
Hope this helps someone :]
Bottom line ... I Like Macrium a lot, backups are reliable, I never faced issues with restores (can't say the same for some of the other SW i tried before, including the paid ones) and it does what it suppose to do (backup/restore!) and nothing else (no unnecessary/extra functions, no proprietary drivers messing up other things ...(looking at you, Acronis!), no build-in cloud providers, no ads, toolbars, bloatware, .. etc). So I will easily forgive the issues with migrated schedules. Keep up the good work guys !!