"Backup template to backup definition" response from "PC" failed - None of the specified folders...

Author
flagrange
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

A backup of a NAS nework share fails with the the above message. It has run monthly before, until september, when it started to fail (I.e, not run at all anymore).

Site Manager and the Reflect agent are both on the same PC. From the PC, I can access the shares on the NAS that I want to backup without problem. Other backups of local folders on the PC to the repository on the NAS also work fine.
The NAS has a dedicated user 'macrium' that can read all the shares of a 'production' RAID, and that can write backups to another, separate 'backup' RAID. 

The problem occurs whether I run the backup manually from the Site Manager and when Site Manager initiates it from a Schedule. It also fails whether I try to do a backup of a share on the NAS (\\SecurendoNAS\Media), or I define the selection as M:, a mapped drive on the PC that corresponds to \\SecurendoNAS\Media.

While I like Reflect for it's reliability and (proven and tested!) recovery capabilities, it misses a lot of visibility in the GUI: the logs there are very undetailed and high level. Site Manager's Dashboard, kind of useless and unreliable doesn't even show the above attempts as failures - reason why I've only discovered this problem now.

Given the lack of info available, I'm a bit at odds at what else to provide or look for. The logs I found in C:\ProgramData\Macrium\SiteManager do not reveal any problem whatsoever.
Tnx,
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)
Group: Moderators
flagrange - 9 November 2020 8:56 PM
Hello,

A backup of a NAS nework share fails with the the above message. It has run monthly before, until september, when it started to fail (I.e, not run at all anymore).

Site Manager and the Reflect agent are both on the same PC. From the PC, I can access the shares on the NAS that I want to backup without problem. Other backups of local folders on the PC to the repository on the NAS also work fine.
The NAS has a dedicated user 'macrium' that can read all the shares of a 'production' RAID, and that can write backups to another, separate 'backup' RAID. 

The problem occurs whether I run the backup manually from the Site Manager and when Site Manager initiates it from a Schedule. It also fails whether I try to do a backup of a share on the NAS (\\SecurendoNAS\Media), or I define the selection as M:, a mapped drive on the PC that corresponds to \\SecurendoNAS\Media.

While I like Reflect for it's reliability and (proven and tested!) recovery capabilities, it misses a lot of visibility in the GUI: the logs there are very undetailed and high level. Site Manager's Dashboard, kind of useless and unreliable doesn't even show the above attempts as failures - reason why I've only discovered this problem now.

Given the lack of info available, I'm a bit at odds at what else to provide or look for. The logs I found in C:\ProgramData\Macrium\SiteManager do not reveal any problem whatsoever.
Tnx,

Hi,
I will start by saying that the lack of a backup failure notification in this case is a bug - I've created the appropriate cases in our system to get that fixed, my apologies.

Beyond that, I think the issue here is caused by the Site Manager system being focused on local backup rather than backup of external resources - the Agent on your computer is running as the computer's SYSTEM account and therefore has no access to a mapped drive or share credentials for any other user.
The Agent attempts to validate the paths it's been given in the File and Folder backup definition (M:\ or \\SecurendoNAS\Media) and neither of them work as the share mapping or network credentials have been established for another user (Whichever one is used for interactive logon) and not for SYSTEM. When the Agent detects that there are no accessible source paths for the File and Folder backups, it exits early with an error. The notification system is not picking this up correctly and reporting the error details forward - this will be fixed in the next release. 

In this case, there are a few options for making the backup work, though they are all a little 'hacky':
1. Enable anonymous read only access to the share for backup purposes - obviously this has some security issues
2. Ensure that the SYSTEM account has access to the share - on a domain, the system account (DOMAIN\COMPUTERNAME$) is a member of the Domain Users group, so if your NAS is domain integrated, you could allow access from this account/group
3. Map the share in the SYSTEM account - if you run a command line as the system account using something like SysInternals psexec, you can map the share to a drive letter for the system account using "net use" with the /PERSISTENT flag. You can also use the Windows task scheduler to achieve this - https://superuser.com/questions/753400/map-network-drive-for-the-system-user-in-windows

Kind regards,
Alex,
Macrium Development.

flagrange
flagrange
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Alex,
Thank you for your detailed answer. I looked back into this, stubbornly, because this very same backup has worked as recently as mid-August, without the complications of your 3 suggestions. I even mounted the .mrbak file, and it indeed shows the files as backed up from that share.
And I must be getting old - or Covid makes me dumb - because as recently as 4 months ago I had opened a support case for exactly the same issue...

Anyway, your colleague Wisam suggested the following simple approach: change the credentials of the Macrium Agent Service.
This can be easily done by launching the Service Manager, opening the Macrium Agent Service, clicking the Log On tab. There, the username and password of the user on the PC/Client that has access to the NAS must be filled in (not the credentials of the user on the NAS, but those from Windows). Once done, the Agent service must be restarted. It seems that Windows adds a .\ before the name - I didn't type that in.

I suspect that this was reset with a recent upgrade of the Agent. A suggestion for your dev colleagues is maybe to first check if that value is other than the default and reset the Username Password after the upgrade (or ask the user to type it in).

Maybe this helps someone else as well.
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)Macrium Representative (405 reputation)
Group: Moderators
flagrange - 11 November 2020 5:51 PM
Alex,
Thank you for your detailed answer. I looked back into this, stubbornly, because this very same backup has worked as recently as mid-August, without the complications of your 3 suggestions. I even mounted the .mrbak file, and it indeed shows the files as backed up from that share.
And I must be getting old - or Covid makes me dumb - because as recently as 4 months ago I had opened a support case for exactly the same issue...

Anyway, your colleague Wisam suggested the following simple approach: change the credentials of the Macrium Agent Service.
This can be easily done by launching the Service Manager, opening the Macrium Agent Service, clicking the Log On tab. There, the username and password of the user on the PC/Client that has access to the NAS must be filled in (not the credentials of the user on the NAS, but those from Windows). Once done, the Agent service must be restarted. It seems that Windows adds a .\ before the name - I didn't type that in.

I suspect that this was reset with a recent upgrade of the Agent. A suggestion for your dev colleagues is maybe to first check if that value is other than the default and reset the Username Password after the upgrade (or ask the user to type it in).

Maybe this helps someone else as well.

Hi,

Thanks for the update - it makes sense that changing the service will fix this issue, as network share credentials are shared on a per-user account level. I'm not sure what the behaviour would be if the computer was rebooted - I suspect that the user Francois would have to log in interactively to Windows before backup would work correctly, but I'd have to test this to be sure.

I've investigated the installer issue, it appears that it's relatively hard to preserve the user of a service as the MSI installer system we use operates by uninstalling the old Agent version then installing the new one, deleting and recreating the service between operations. The username for the service can be read from the service configuration (sc qc MacriumAgentService on an administrator command line will show the username as SERVICE_START_NAME), but the password cannot. This means that our installer can't read the configuration before uninstall of the old Agent then use it to create the new service. It would have to detect that it's in an upgrade situation and leave the service configuration in place. I've passed it on to our installer experts for further investigation.

Ultimately it may be easier for us to add optional credentials to the Backup Definition in Site Manager which could be used for resource access. I've created a feature request in our system to investigate this possibility in a future release.

Kind regards,
Alex,
Macrium Development.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search