Cloning of NVMe M.2 to standard SATA SSD

Author
ReneM
Talented Member
Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have 3 questions:

1. Is it possible to make a Clone from my Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe M.2 drive to a traditional Sata SSD disk?

2. If YES, will it work immediately and boot correctly?

3. Macrium Reflect creates 4 partitions in their System Image, while Windows only creates 3 - why this difference?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)
3.  That is the Microsoft Reserved Partition (MSR).  It is usually hidden (as it is in Disk Management) as MS doesn't want you making changes to it although I don't believe you could even if you wanted to.  Reflect shows it because it a necessary partition needed to restore Windows.

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5550
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.2.3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
1. Yes. You can also go the other direction (SATA to NVMe).

2. It depends. Depending on whether your system is in AHCI mode or has a RAID controller enabled (including Intel Rapid Storage), it may work immediately, or you may have to run ReDeploy on the target instance so that Reflect configures that Windows environment to load the SATA driver rather than NVMe driver at boot. If it’s set up to boot from RAID and your old and new disks are behind the same controller, then this won’t matter because the RAID controller will be abstracting the backend interface, so Windows would just continue to load the RAID driver. You light also have to run Fix Boot Problems afterward, but that isn’t unique to this specific scenario. If you do though, I’d recommend removing the clone source disk before doing so.

3. Reflect isn’t creating partitions. That extra partition exists on disk, but for whatever reason, Microsoft hides that particular partition in Windows Disk Management — although their “diskpart” tool will list it. It’s called the MSR partition, and it’s normal to find on GPT disks. On GPT disks that contain a Windows OS, it is placed after the EFI partition and before the Windows partition. On GPT disks that do NOT include an OS, such as external hard drives initialized as GPT, it’s the first partition on disk.
ReneM
ReneM
Talented Member
Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)Talented Member (137 reputation)
I thank you many times for both answers capair45 and jphughan. They really made sense.

I have marked for receiving mail when replying to the post, but I never receive these emails.
Is it a general problem or is it just with me it does not work.

Thanks in advance.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Happy to help.  In terms of your email question, I'm subscribed to a LOT of threads because I'm automatically subscribed to threads where I post, and I've posted in a lot of threads -- and I never have a problem receiving emails.

Edited 9 November 2020 10:18 PM by jphughan
capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)Expert (846 reputation)
ReneM - 9 November 2020 10:02 PM
I thank you many times for both answers capair45 and jphughan. They really made sense.

I have marked for receiving mail when replying to the post, but I never receive these emails.
Is it a general problem or is it just with me it does not work.

Thanks in advance.

You're welcome

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5550
Windows Defender

ReneM
ReneM
Talented Member
I think I may have pressed the wrong Post Reply button, but it's being tested now with this post.

Thank you again for your help.
ReneM
ReneM
Talented Member
Since I do not trust 100% that my Reflect 7.3 System Image backup will work for sure if I need it one day (and I probably do), I have now acquired a traditional Samsung Sata 870 QVO SSD drive 1 Tb, for which I want to make a clone that works - just for safety.

I have on my computer a SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 1TB NVMe M.2 which for security reasons I want to clone to a regular SATA SSD drive.

My question now is whether after a clone, I should immediately do a ReDeploy before trying if the clone will boot.

Can I wait and see if it works, and then subsequently run a ReDeploy if not, or should it be run immediately?

This is the first time I have to try something like this so I'm out 'swimming a bit'.

Any good advice is gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Excuse my poor English - it's not my language.
capair45
capair45
Expert
ReneM - 20 November 2020 12:45 PM
Since I do not trust 100% that my Reflect 7.3 System Image backup will work for sure if I need it one day (and I probably do), I have now acquired a traditional Samsung Sata 870 QVO SSD drive 1 Tb, for which I want to make a clone that works - just for safety.

I have on my computer a SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 1TB NVMe M.2 which for security reasons I want to clone to a regular SATA SSD drive.

My question now is whether after a clone, I should immediately do a ReDeploy before trying if the clone will boot.

Can I wait and see if it works, and then subsequently run a ReDeploy if not, or should it be run immediately?

This is the first time I have to try something like this so I'm out 'swimming a bit'.

Thanks in advance.

Here are some notes I have gathered on the forum about re-deploy which may help you understand the process better until someone answers your specific question:

Re-Deploy is only available in Rescue Environment.

Macrium Re-Deploy helps in restoring an image onto hardware different from the system from which it was originally captured (e.g. replacing an old computer with a new one).

Occasionally, after restoring the image, Windows will not boot. Macrium Re-Deploy is designed to modify the restored Windows environment enough so that it boots properly. Re-Deploy identifies hardware differences and locates the necessary drivers to boot Windows. After successfully booting, you may have to manually add certain drivers (graphics, network, etc.).

Re-Deploy only concerns itself with boot-critical hardware. The idea is that you'd Re-Deploy your system just to get Windows to start properly, and once you're in Windows you'd install all other appropriate drivers for your new hardware within Windows.

Re-Deploy does not address any Microsoft licensing issues that may arise.

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5550
Windows Defender

ReneM
ReneM
Talented Member
capair45 - 20 November 2020 12:54 PM
ReneM - 20 November 2020 12:45 PM

Thanks in advance.

Here are some notes I have gathered on the forum about re-deploy which may help you understand the process better until someone answers your specific question:

Re-Deploy is only available in Rescue Environment.

Macrium Re-Deploy helps in restoring an image onto hardware different from the system from which it was originally captured (e.g. replacing an old computer with a new one).

Occasionally, after restoring the image, Windows will not boot. Macrium Re-Deploy is designed to modify the restored Windows environment enough so that it boots properly. Re-Deploy identifies hardware differences and locates the necessary drivers to boot Windows. After successfully booting, you may have to manually add certain drivers (graphics, network, etc.).

Re-Deploy only concerns itself with boot-critical hardware. The idea is that you'd Re-Deploy your system just to get Windows to start properly, and once you're in Windows you'd install all other appropriate drivers for your new hardware within Windows.

Re-Deploy does not address any Microsoft licensing issues that may arise.

Hi capair45

Thank you so much for your reply which I greatly appreciate.

With Rescue Environment, I have two options.
1. ReDeploy restored Image to new hardware
2. Fix Windows Boot options

Since it is the same machine, there should be no hardware changes, except the existing drive is an NVMe .M2 and the new one a Sata SSD.

It is precisely the difference between the two drives that gives me the question of whether the machine will start with the new SSD drive without me doing anything.

If not, then the question is whether I need 1. ReDeploy or 2. Fix Windows Boot options?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search