Create New Rescue Media Each Update?

Author
cpatalano
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I'm not a very technical person, so please forgive me if this is a really basic question.

Should I create new rescue media (I use USB drives) each time there is a new update or patch?

Thank you.

Curt
capair45
capair45
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
cpatalano - 6 November 2020 1:18 PM
Hello,

I'm not a very technical person, so please forgive me if this is a really basic question.

Should I create new rescue media (I use USB drives) each time there is a new update or patch?

Thank you.

Curt

When updates (patches) of Reflect are released, it is usually not necessary to update your rescue media. The release notes (Under the HELP menu) will tell you if you should (look for information in red text).

Otherwise, by reading the release notes, you can decide if the update applies to your installation / machine.  If it doesn't then it's up to you as to whether you would want to.  My preference is to always stay up to date with rescue media and so I will create a new one.  You'll find others here who prefer not to if the update does not apply to them.

If you do create new media it is most important to test it to insure that it boots the computer and can see all the internal, external, and disks that are used to store the images you will create

Windows 10 Home (21H1)  Build 19043.1237
Macrium Reflect 8.0.6161
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.4.6

Edited 6 November 2020 2:05 PM by capair45
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
This was asked a few topics down in this forum section: https://forum.macrium.com/40493/When-to-create-new-rescue-flash-drivedisks
Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
Talented Member
Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)
Hi Curt,

I have seen posts on the forum saying that unless the Reflect release notes specially state to update your Rescue Media, that it is not necessary. However, even when the release notes do not state that it is necessary to recreate the Rescue Media, I have seen Reflect Rescue Media Builder show the message "Click 'Build' to update" was being displayed after I upgraded Reflect and I proceeded to create new Rescue Media.

I am very risk adverse when it comes to backup and/or recovery software.

• I keep two sets of Rescue Media with a total of four rescue media devices.
  • Two of the four are the previous version of Reflect that I was using before the upgrade.
  • The other two are the new/current version of Reflect.
  • The reason I have two is in case one of the two Rescue Media fails to work properly. I seen too many USB thumbdrives or DVDs suddenly fail.
  • Always test that you can boot from the newly created rescue media.

Just sharing my approach. Smile
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Reflect will ALWAYS show “Click Build to update” when the Reflect version is newer than the one that was used for the most recent Rescue Media build, regardless of whether there have been any changes that affect Rescue specifically between those releases. That doesn’t mean it’s imperative to update.

I’m risk-averse too, but in my case that manifests as NOT updating Rescue Media, or even Reflect itself, unless the release notes suggest that there is a fix or enhancement that I do or at least might benefit from. Otherwise, updating has risks. I’ve seen multiple cases, and personally reported one here, of Reflect updates that introduced a bug rendering Rescue Media unusable. And there have been several Reflect updates containing fixes for bugs that were only introduced in the immediately preceding release.

I do NOT advocate the “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” approach to the point of ignoring updates so long as my backups work. That has its own risks, which are clear from some other threads here. But I do suggest reviewing release notes and deciding which updates are important and which would be all risk and no reward for your particular case.
Edited 6 November 2020 2:20 PM by jphughan
cpatalano
cpatalano
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
capair45 - 6 November 2020 1:44 PM
cpatalano - 6 November 2020 1:18 PM
Hello,

Thank you.

Curt

When updates (patches) of Reflect are released, it is usually not necessary to update your rescue media. The release notes (Under the HELP menu) will tell you if you should (look for information in red text).

Otherwise, by reading the release notes, you can decide if the update applies to your installation / machine.  If it doesn't then it's up to you as to whether you would want to.  My preference is to always stay up to date with rescue media and so I will create a new one.  You'll find others here who prefer not to if the update does not apply to them.

If you do create new media it is most important to test it to insure that it boots the computer and can see all the internal, external, and disks that are used to store the images you will create

Thank you so much. Very, very helpful!

cpatalano
cpatalano
jphughan - 6 November 2020 2:01 PM
This was asked a few topics down in this forum section: https://forum.macrium.com/40493/When-to-create-new-rescue-flash-drivedisks

Thank you. Sorry I missed it.
cpatalano
cpatalano
Reflecting Mirror - 6 November 2020 2:09 PM
Hi Curt,

I have seen posts on the forum saying that unless the Reflect release notes specially state to update your Rescue Media, that it is not necessary. However, even when the release notes do not state that it is necessary to recreate the Rescue Media, I have seen Reflect Rescue Media Builder show the message "Click 'Build' to update" was being displayed after I upgraded Reflect and I proceeded to create new Rescue Media.

I am very risk adverse when it comes to backup and/or recovery software.

• I keep two sets of Rescue Media with a total of four rescue media devices.
  • Two of the four are the previous version of Reflect that I was using before the upgrade.
  • The other two are the new/current version of Reflect.
  • The reason I have two is in case one of the two Rescue Media fails to work properly. I seen too many USB thumbdrives or DVDs suddenly fail.
  • Always test that you can boot from the newly created rescue media.

Just sharing my approach. Smile

Thank you! I am very risk averse also. I should really keep another set of rescue media for that reason. I appreciate your help.
cpatalano
cpatalano
jphughan - 6 November 2020 2:19 PM
Reflect will ALWAYS show “Click Build to update” when the Reflect version is newer than the one that was used for the most recent Rescue Media build, regardless of whether there have been any changes that affect Rescue specifically between those releases. That doesn’t mean it’s imperative to update.

I’m risk-averse too, but in my case that manifests as NOT updating Rescue Media, or even Reflect itself, unless the release notes suggest that there is a fix or enhancement that I do or at least might benefit from. Otherwise, updating has risks. I’ve seen multiple cases, and personally reported one here, of Reflect updates that introduced a bug rendering Rescue Media unusable. And there have been several Reflect updates containing fixes for bugs that were only introduced in the immediately preceding release.

I do NOT advocate the “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” approach to the point of ignoring updates so long as my backups work. That has its own risks, which are clear from some other threads here. But I do suggest reviewing release notes and deciding which updates are important and which would be all risk and no reward for your particular case.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response.
Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
Talented Member
Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)

Why is Reflect Media Builder offering the "Click 'Build' to update" after an upgrade if there is no need to create a new rescue media? This is confusing to the end users as it gives me the impression that something has changed in the rescue media builder and/or it detected changes to device drivers that requires a new rescue media.

I would think that Reflect would have an internal flag in the code to control when the rebuild of the rescue media is required after an upgrade rather than just always default to "Click 'Build' to update" which to the end user looks like you need to create new rescue media.

Can someone from Macrium explain why they always show "Click 'Build' to update" after a upgrade in the rescue media builder?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search