No Drivers on Rescue Media

Author
phred
Talented Member
Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Using Reflect 7.5289 on three Win10 machines. When creating Rescue Media on two of the PCs a Drivers directory is created and drivers are added. On the third PC a Drivers directory is created but it is empty except for a file called macrium.oem which is zero bytes. This file also exists on the other PCs in the drivers directory. This occurs no matter where I save the Rescue Media (portable USB, thumb drive, etc.) This PC is running Win 10 Pro 1909. The other two PCs are running Win 10 Pro 2004 and LTSB 1607.

I understand I can (and should) test the media, but for the time being that would be difficult. It is a headless PC (no monitor nor keyboard) and I VNC into it. I would need to temporarily break down the setup from one of the other PCs to grab the monitor and keyboard. And the other two PCs have been in almost constant use due the 'work from home' situation.

So I suppose until such time that I can set up the headless PC with a head, is having an empty drivers directory on the Rescue Media normal?

Thanks.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Open Reflect on the PC generating Rescue Media without drivers, go to Rescue Media Builder, and go to Advanced > Devices & Drivers.  If all devices show as "Compatible device support in WinPE", then the WinPE/RE environment you're using as your Rescue Media foundation has everything it needs to run that system's hardware already built in.  In that case, Reflect wouldn't need to include any additional drivers.

phred
phred
Talented Member
Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)

jphughan - 28 October 2020 8:28 PM
Open Reflect on the PC generating Rescue Media without drivers, go to Rescue Media Builder, and go to Advanced > Devices & Drivers.  If all devices show as "Compatible device support in WinPE", then the WinPE/RE environment you're using as your Rescue Media foundation has everything it needs to run that system's hardware already built in.  In that case, Reflect wouldn't need to include any additional drivers.

Once again, my thanks to @jphughan

There are four drivers listed on the (formerly) suspect machine. Three are listed as compatible and one is listed as Device support in WinPE. So what I'm seeing is not an issue.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Sounds good.  Although I would still recommend that you test your Rescue Media whenever you get a moment to connect your headless PCs to a display/TV temporarily, simply because I know of a couple of cases where WinPE indicated that it had a suitable driver and loaded it, but it turned out that the driver wasn't good enough.  One case involved an eSATA controller where the built-in driver didn't support the SATA "port multiplier" feature that allowed multiple devices to be connected to the same SATA port, so the built-in driver only saw the first disk in the user's chain.  In another case, WinPE thought it had a suitable Intel RAID controller driver, but that driver didn't allow the storage to be seen in Rescue.  Both cases were solved by manually supplying a newer driver.  Of course that's only 2 cases compared to the MANY cases where WinPE built-in support is correctly indicated, but you never truly know until you test. Smile

phred
phred
Talented Member

jphughan - 28 October 2020 10:23 PM
Sounds good.  Although I would still recommend that you test your Rescue Media whenever you get a moment to connect your headless PCs to a display/TV temporarily, simply because I know of a couple of cases where WinPE indicated that it had a suitable driver and loaded it, but it turned out that the driver wasn't good enough.  One case involved an eSATA controller where the built-in driver didn't support the SATA "port multiplier" feature that allowed multiple devices to be connected to the same SATA port, so the built-in driver only saw the first disk in the user's chain.  In another case, WinPE thought it had a suitable Intel RAID controller driver, but that driver didn't allow the storage to be seen in Rescue.  Both cases were solved by manually supplying a newer driver.  Of course that's only 2 cases compared to the MANY cases where WinPE built-in support is correctly indicated, but you never truly know until you test. Smile

Oh, I indeed know the importance of testing the Rescue Media. It only took one time (with Acronis) that I failed to test and when I needed to rescue, it couldn't see my NAS where the backup files were stored. I may have mentioned it in another thread, but I create three Rescue Media for each of the three PCs. And ISO, a WinPE on a flash drive and to a partition on a USB portable drive that's always connected. And where the backup files are kept in the other partition.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search