Schedules suddenly stop working.

Author
JohnC
New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am running Macrium Reflect Home Edition (64 bit) version 6.3.1865 (paid for) on a laptop running Windows 10.

A couple of weeks ago the backup schedules stopped running.

I have tried deleting a schedule and then setting it up again - that didn't work.

I have tried setting a different 'start from' date - that didn't work.

The situation now is that the scheduled apparently kick off as under Scheduled Backups it says that the last result was Error (0x800710e0) but in the Log there is no entry for that run.

Having trawled the forums for a solution, my head is spinning .

Is it worth me paying for an upgrade to version 7 – ie will it solve my problem?
Or should I just download the free version of 7? If I do, will I still be able to restore to new hardware if required?

I also run the same edition on a desktop and (touch wood), apart from an odd glitch, it seems to be working fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

John.
capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)
For starters, neither the free or trial versions include the re-deploy feature.

EDIT:  I don't know if the problem lies with Windows Task Scheduler but there have been many users frustrated with its reliability.  Although a user would define the backup job within Reflect, it is WTS that actually runs the process.  Macrium has been saying that they were working on their own task scheduler and it was released in Version 7.3.xxxx.

I'm not sure if the upgrade would solve your problem but it's worth consideration.  Also, the Trial version of 7.3.xxxx would presumably include Macrium's Task Scheduler.  If that solves your schedules problem, then it would make the cost of upgrading more appealing and you'd get the re-deploy feature.

NOTE:  Can someone confirm that Macrium's Task Scheduler is included in the Trial version?

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5758
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.3.0

Edited 28 October 2020 1:05 PM by capair45
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Since you're on V6, you need to store the credentials of an administrative user to run scheduled tasks under Edit Defaults > Schedule.  Make sure those credentials are correct.  If you changed the password of the account you're using in Reflect for this purpose, then scheduled backups break until you update the stored password in Reflect accordingly.

As for upgrading, V7 does add some new features -- including the option to have backups use the built-in SYSTEM account instead, one benefit that it avoids this specific problem scenario, and very recently with Reflect 7.3 the option to use Macrium's internal scheduler rather than Windows Task Scheduler -- but if V6 has otherwise been working for you and broke for reasons unknown, that isn't the greatest reason to upgrade.  Those V7 changes around scheduling might work around the issue, but I'd personally want to know what went wrong.

That said, you might be forced to upgrade at some point.  A recent Windows 10 feature release broke V6 in such a way that Macrium had to issue a patch to keep it working. They did that even though it was long after V6's official end-of-support date, as a customer goodwill gesture, but I wouldn't count on that continuing forever.  So at some point it may be worth upgrading just to remain on a supported version.  But you'll also get some nice additional features as well, such as Image Guardian, viBoot, and some smaller enhancements to V7 that aren't advertised as much but that I happen to like, such as the "warning" outcome on jobs rather than pure success/failure.

Edited 28 October 2020 2:02 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
capair45 - 28 October 2020 12:16 PM
NOTE:  Can someone confirm that Macrium's Task Scheduler is included in the Trial version?

Even the Free version of Reflect 7.3 includes Macrium's task scheduler.  Evidently Macrium has decided that reliable scheduling is worth providing to everyone, which admittedly makes sense.  It would be a bit awkward to say, "Well our PAID versions will run your backups according to the schedule you define.  The Free version?  You'll just have to see what happens!"

capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)Expert (900 reputation)
jphughan - 28 October 2020 2:07 PM
capair45 - 28 October 2020 12:16 PM

Even the Free version of Reflect 7.3 includes Macrium's task scheduler.  Evidently Macrium has decided that reliable scheduling is worth providing to everyone, which admittedly makes sense.  It would be a bit awkward to say, "Well our PAID versions will run your backups according to the schedule you define.  The Free version?  You'll just have to see what happens!"

Thanks for that!

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5758
Windows Defender

JohnC
JohnC
New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)
Thanks for your replies.

Checked credentials - only one user - as administrator and it hasn't been altered so it shouldn't be that that has caused schedules to stop working.

If scheduler is throwing an error, shouldn't Reflect be showing that in log? I would have thought, in my ignorance, that an entry would have been made in the log when Reflect kicked off to try to run the scheduler.

Done a bit more delving here.

Laptop is on Windows 10 version 2004 - scheduling currently doesn't work.

Two desktops - both on Windows 10 version 1903 - scheduling working OK.

Easy to say that it's the version of Windows at fault BUT - on laptop it says that version 2004 was installed on Sept 9th.  scheduling stopped working several weeks after that.

As trial both Free and Trial version 7 use Macrium's own scheduler and I have to uninstall version 6 to install either of them, I might as well go for the Trial version because if it works, I can then just upgrade to full and if it doesn't I might as well reinstall version 6 and go back to running backups manually.

Can anyone see a hole in my logic, please?

Thanks again.

John.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
I grant that this is not intuitive to anybody who doesn't understand the interplay between Reflect and Windows Task Scheduler, but basically, the Scheduled Backups tab where you're seeing an error code is an error thrown by Windows Task Scheduler, which Reflect is simply displaying.  It was NOT thrown by Reflect itself.  And the reason you're not seeing anything about it in the Reflect log is that in order for Reflect to log something, it has to be launched in the first place -- but if a Windows Task Scheduler error is occurring that prevents the scheduled task from executing properly, then Reflect never gets launched.  So essentially, even though you're able to see that error code in Reflect, the code was thrown in such a way and at such a time that Reflect never actually launched -- hence, no log.

I don't think you have to uninstall V6 to install V7.  You definitely don't if you're upgrading to the same "edition", but I think you can even go from Paid V6 to Trial V7 without performing an uninstallation first.  But with V7, even the Free version can be upgraded in-place to a paid version, as can the trial versions of course.

If you do stick with V7, remember to update your Rescue Media!

Edited 28 October 2020 4:47 PM by jphughan
capair45
capair45
Expert
JohnC - 28 October 2020 4:31 PM
Thanks for your replies.

Checked credentials - only one user - as administrator and it hasn't been altered so it shouldn't be that that has caused schedules to stop working.

If scheduler is throwing an error, shouldn't Reflect be showing that in log? I would have thought, in my ignorance, that an entry would have been made in the log when Reflect kicked off to try to run the scheduler.

Done a bit more delving here.

Laptop is on Windows 10 version 2004 - scheduling currently doesn't work.

Two desktops - both on Windows 10 version 1903 - scheduling working OK.

Easy to say that it's the version of Windows at fault BUT - on laptop it says that version 2004 was installed on Sept 9th.  scheduling stopped working several weeks after that.

As trial both Free and Trial version 7 use Macrium's own scheduler and I have to uninstall version 6 to install either of them, I might as well go for the Trial version because if it works, I can then just upgrade to full and if it doesn't I might as well reinstall version 6 and go back to running backups manually.

Can anyone see a hole in my logic, please?

Thanks again.

John.

I think if the backup starts and then fails, you would see that in the log.  Not sure if you'd see any error entry if it doesn't start at all.

I would load the V7 trial version on your laptop and see if that cures your problems.

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5758
Windows Defender

JohnC
JohnC
Thanks both.

I think I understand what you are saying jphughan - the WTS calls Reflect, not vice versa.  I'm still confused though as to where Reflect gets the info that there was an Error when it says there was, under the Last Result in the Scheduled Backup tab.

Think I'll take the plunge and install Trial version on laptop.  Wish me luck :-).

Cheers.

John.

L. W. "Dan" Danz
L. W. "Dan" Danz
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (443 reputation)Advanced Member (443 reputation)Advanced Member (443 reputation)Advanced Member (443 reputation)Advanced Member (443 reputation)Advanced Member (443 reputation)Advanced Member (443 reputation)Advanced Member (443 reputation)Advanced Member (443 reputation)Advanced Member (443 reputation)
@JohnC I suspect that you and i are chasing the same thing.  Two of my laptops are on 20H2.  One of them was setup by HP for Modern Standby ...  a 20H2 update removed the ability to revert to good old standby.   One of the things removed was the WTS ability to set and/or respond to "Wake this computer" to run the task. 

How to confirm:
From an administrator command prompt see what sleep states are supported:  powercfg /a
If you have S3 you're the old way ... if you have S0 Connected Idle and all the others say not supported when S0 is supported, then you have been schnockered by Microsoft wanting laptops to have Instant On like smartphones.  

UPDATE:  Both WTS and MTS are affected by Modern Standby state, because both schedulers need to wake the computer to do any scheduling.    See my earlier report here

L. W. "Dan" Danz, Overland Park KS  

Edited 28 October 2020 5:55 PM by L. W. "Dan" Danz
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search