All backups write to the same externally connected drive, labeled H: drive. I run Incremental backups every night and Differential backups once a week. The backups are run at a time that it is not being used by an operator. The Incremental backup from yesterday reported success and created files on the backup drive. After that backup was completed I started a Differential backup.
The Differential backup failed and reported "Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - A device which does not exist was specified."
Looking through the Differential backup log I note that it reported "Seagate Backup Plus Drive (H
- Free Space 980.72 GB. It also reported "I/O Performance: Read 1.7 Gb/s - Write 261.5 Mb/s " which makes it appear that it is using the correct drive and has no problems finding the drive.
The successful Differential backup log just one hour earlier reported "Seagate Backup Plus Drive (H
- Free Space 988.90 GB" and "Read 797.7 Mb/s - Write 268.3 Mb/s "
This same failure and error message for the previous weekly Differential backup also occurred. So I have a pattern of failure of the Differential back but complete success of the incremental backups
One month ago after my Incremental backup failed with error message "Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - A device which does not exist was specified."
I tried running it the next morning and it failed again with different but similar error ""Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - The device is not ready.".
In desperation I tried reinstalling the Macrium software and it has been running fine until the past few days.