Rescue Media settings - Incorrect Windows version

Author
Telos
Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
After updating today (v7.3) I noticed that my rescue media settings window indicates version 1909, although I updated to 2004 two months ago.

Am I misreading this?
My winver shows

Edited 24 October 2020 3:19 PM by Telos
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
Isn't the last available version for WinPE 1709?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
@dbminter is right.  I completely missed that you're using WinPE 10 rather than WinRE 10.  In that case, yes PE 10 1709 is expected because as of this writing, if you choose to build with WinPE 10, Reflect always builds with WinPE 10 1709, regardless of what Windows version you're running (even if you're running a release older than Win10).  Macrium moved to 1709 because that release added support for multi-partition flash drives, which opened up some helpful use cases.  And incidentally, sticking to WinPE 10 has allows at least some users to avoid being affected by bugs introduced by Microsoft into newer Win10 kernels.  The initial release of Win10 1809 for example had a bug that broke Reflect's driver loading at startup.  That was fixed by Microsoft in the 1809 re-release, but early adopters who were using WinRE for Rescue Media were affected.  Those who stuck with WinPE 10 1709, which isn't a moving target and which Macrium tested before having Reflect support, were not. Smile

Telos
Telos
Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)Junior Member (76 reputation)
jphughan - 24 October 2020 2:55 PM
@dbminter is right.  I completely missed that you're using WinPE 10 rather than WinRE 10.  In that case, yes PE 10 1709 is expected because as of this writing, if you choose to build with WinPE 10, Reflect always builds with WinPE 10 1709, regardless of what Windows version you're running (even if you're running a release older than Win10).  Macrium moved to 1709 because that release added support for multi-partition flash drives, which opened up some helpful use cases.  And incidentally, sticking to WinPE 10 has allows at least some users to avoid being affected by bugs introduced by Microsoft into newer Win10 kernels.  The initial release of Win10 1809 for example had a bug that broke Reflect's driver loading at startup.  That was fixed by Microsoft in the 1809 re-release, but early adopters who were using WinRE for Rescue Media were affected.  Those who stuck with WinPE 10 1709, which isn't a moving target and which Macrium tested before having Reflect support, were not. Smile

That is helpful. Apart from avoiding kernel bugs, is WinRE preferred (I'm almost sure I was using WinRE prior to the last upgrade).
Or should I just remain content w/WinPE. Thanks!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
The main benefits of WinRE are that you can use WiFi in the Rescue environment (requires WinRE 10, but is NOT available with WinPE 10) and that you don’t have to download and cache a WinPE package from Microsoft. WinPE 10 1709 is about 1GB. And then for basic users, the fact that the default is WinRE means that their Rescue Media will automatically use the same Windows kernel that their main system is running, which simplifies things like driver injection if needed, rather than the user having to choose something specifically. On the other hand, an additional downside of WinRE that I forgot to mention is that the WinRE environment on your system can be customized from its initial install state even before Reflect gets to it, so in addition to the version getting changed over time, a given system’s WinRE environment might be different even if the kernel version is the same. By comparison, the WinPE 10 1709 package from Microsoft is NOT customized on a per-system basis before Reflect gets to it. I’ve seen reports from people here who had problems with things like USB drivers when using WinRE 10 even though others using that same WinRE version were fine and the affected user switching to WinPE 10 also worked fine.

I have no need for WiFi in Rescue and don’t mind caching a 1GB WinPE build, so I’ll take the benefit of having a consistent “foundation” for Rescue Media over the WinRE benefits any day.
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
I'd prefer the consistency of WinPE being a more stable build, but I use WinRE because of a resolution issue I have with WinPE.  WinRE displays in the proper resolution on my system versus WinPE, so I use WinRE.

Telos
Telos
Great comments. Thank you all.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search