Site Manager

Author
phred
Talented Member
Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I'm running three stand-alone licensed installations of Reflect 7 Home and three PCs on my LAN. One is headless and I connect to it via VNC.

Would the free/stand-alone/non-server version allow me to configure/modify backup jobs and any of the PCs from the comfort of my chair? Can I use it to create/modify schedules on any of the three machines? Can I use it to create rescue media for any of the machines?

Is there any reason not to use it in my case?

Thanks.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
To my knowledge, all PAID Reflect versions can be managed by Site Manager, and there’s also an “Agent” edition designed specifically to be managed that way, but the Free version is not manageable. I’m not 100% sure on that though. But I’d suggest giving Site Manager a try if you’re intrigued. It’s free, after all.
phred
phred
Talented Member
Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)

jphughan - 24 October 2020 2:51 AM
To my knowledge, all PAID Reflect versions can be managed by Site Manager, and there’s also an “Agent” edition designed specifically to be managed that way, but the Free version is not manageable. I’m not 100% sure on that though. But I’d suggest giving Site Manager a try if you’re intrigued. It’s free, after all.

I purchased four stand-alone licenses at the very last minute of the "Back to School" sale. I would have only bought two if paying full price, but the four-license sale price was just about the same as the two license full price, so it became a no-brainer. I have three paid stand-alone Home editions deployed on three desktop PCs. The fourth will go on a laptop at some point in the near future. That's a long way of saying the Site Manager will work for me.

Since it is indeed free, I will install it and see what can be done with it. It I can manage the backup jobs on the other PCs from the one on which SM is installed, I'm good to go. Otherwise I'll uninstall it and VNC to the other machines when I need to modify something.

I'll report back with my findings.
phred
phred
Talented Member

phred - 24 October 2020 1:58 PM

jphughan - 24 October 2020 2:51 AM

I purchased four stand-alone licenses at the very last minute of the "Back to School" sale. I would have only bought two if paying full price, but the four-license sale price was just about the same as the two license full price, so it became a no-brainer. I have three paid stand-alone Home editions deployed on three desktop PCs. The fourth will go on a laptop at some point in the near future. That's a long way of saying the Site Manager will work for me.

Since it is indeed free, I will install it and see what can be done with it. It I can manage the backup jobs on the other PCs from the one on which SM is installed, I'm good to go. Otherwise I'll uninstall it and VNC to the other machines when I need to modify something.

I'll report back with my findings.

Here's my report: plain and simple. SM seems to take too much of my time to configure. Despite my usual habit of not RTFM, I had to resort to it a few times. Installing SM was easy. As was entering the local IP of the three machines in order for SM to see them. Apparently I need to install the SM Agent to each machine and that's where things went south. It wouldn't install remotely (via SM) and once installed manually on a test PC, SM still didn't see it. Both PCs were rebooted and the test machine still couldn't be seen in SM.

It's not big deal for me. When I reach the point that I can't get up from my desk and walk into another room to manually adjust Reflect, I'm in trouble
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search