Yet Another Redeploy Question

Author
phred
Talented Member
Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I've searched the forum and read a good number of the threads dealing with Redeploy, but didn't find anything that relates directly to my situation. But I think I know the answer and am looking for confirmation.

I'm running Windows 10 LTSB 1607 and my employer wants their license back. That not necessarily a bad thing since the OS is four years old. I have been doing Windows updates to keep it as current as possible. I'm going to have to purchase Windows 10 Pro. In an attempt to save the pain and suffering of reinstalling all of my applications, would a redeploy of a LTSB image on to the new Win10 Pro installation work? I do understand the advantage of reinstalling as it gets rid of the dead wood. But I'm not switching hardware, nor wiping any drives other than the boot drive is Windows insists. Do I actually have to -restore- an image in order to run Redeploy?

LTSB is currently living on a 250gb SSD and it contains the C: partition and the System Reserved partition. And I just noticed there's 9.1gb of unallocated space.

My guess is that since the registry is likely to disappear with the change in OS, Redeploy will do me no good.

Thought, comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
I believe, but am not certain, that the LTSC versions (replacement acronym for LTSB) will not activate with standard Windows 10 keys, and vice versa.  LTSC versions are special builds of Windows that get different support agreements and are only available under special licensing terms.  And to my knowledge, even if you had the appropriate license keys for each edition, it isn't possible to perform an in-place "switch" between an LTSC version and a "regular" Windows 10 version that receives the regular feature updates that get released twice per year.  So you might be in for a clean install.

phred
phred
Talented Member
Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)

jphughan - 23 October 2020 3:56 PM
I believe, but am not certain, that the LTSC versions (replacement acronym for LTSB) will not activate with standard Windows 10 keys, and vice versa.  LTSC versions are special builds of Windows that get different support agreements and are only available under special licensing terms.  And to my knowledge, even if you had the appropriate license keys for each edition, it isn't possible to perform an in-place "switch" between an LTSC version and a "regular" Windows 10 version that receives the regular feature updates that get released twice per year.  So you might be in for a clean install.

I'm not looking to activate one with the other. I plan on purchasing Win 10 Pro and activating it. I was hoping that once installed and activated, I could use Redeploy to "install" the applications back into the new Registry saving me the headache of doing actual installs. From what (I think) I read, in order for Redeploy to work, the backed up image needs to be restored and then one can use Redeploy. But I certainly don't want to restore the image as it's got the LTSB install on it which would wipe out the newly installed 10 Pro.

So as you say, I'd better set aside a weekend for starting over. Or try to convince my employer to leave LTSB on my machine.

Thanks

Edited 23 October 2020 7:24 PM by phred
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
You can’t use ReDeploy in the way you describe. It won’f merge the contents of an image into an existing installed environment. It is designed specifically to modify or add drivers to allow a Windows environment to boot on hardware other than what it was originally installed on. The only solution I know of that can reliably do what you want is Time Machine in macOS, but I’ve never seen a good Windows equivalent, possibly because Apple enjoys the unique position of having total control over both their OS and the systems that will be running it.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search