Change location of log files

Author
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I noticed today that since 2017 my log files for Reflect have not been being saved in the same location as they once were.  I had set the program to save log files on a volume different than the System volume or the volume where Reflect is installed.  I do not know why this changed, nor do I see an option within Reflect to change it back anymore.  Perhaps I'm missing something?  I don't like data from programs being saved on the system drive - it is a very small SSD.  I haven't yet had a chance to look into where Reflect's log files are currently being saved.
Edited 22 October 2020 1:24 PM by Gork
Gosha
Gosha
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hello Gork,

Thank you for posting on our forum.

The Reflects logs have always been located in the '<PRAOGRAMDATA>\Macrium\Reflect' folder by default.

Log file save location can only be changed by redirecting the above mention folder to a different location; if Reflect is fully uninstalled and logs removed then this would remove the redirection.

You can redirect your folders using hard links, please see the MS KB below for more info:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/hard-links-and-junctions

Here is an example of commands you would need to run to create log redirection form the default location to a folder created on a different disk:

mkdir D:\ProgramData\macrium\reflect
robocopy /XJ /MIR "C:\ProgramData\Macrium\Reflect" "D:\ProgramData\macrium\reflect"
mklink /J "C:\ProgramData\macrium\reflect" "D:\ProgramData\macrium\reflect"

This example was taken from the following forum post, I believe that you have created the redirection after seeing this.
Please see the link below:
https://forum.macrium.com/Topic5665.aspx

Kind regards
Gosha - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Edited 22 October 2020 11:50 AM by Gosha
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thank you for getting back with me on this. I truly do not ever remember creating a directory link to save the logs to a different location but if you say this has NEVER been configurable in the Reflect GUI then I must have. I know I wouldn't have just copied the logs over, for whatever reason, without zipping them up in an archive. So I must've created a directory link. And back in 2017 I must have changed my setup back either purposefully for some reason or, as you indicated, inadvertently.  I did set the purge option on logs at some point, and remember doing so, but don't know why I'd have done that knowing they were saved on the larger hard drive - so... Evidence seems to indicate failing memory on my part.

Thank you again for your time. Maybe this should have been one for the wish list. Maybe I posted it in the wish list forum long ago and, um, forgot. Sigh
Edited 22 October 2020 1:26 PM by Gork
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search