Macrium Image Guardian is not installed? CBT not running?

Author
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I just noticed that I did not have either the Macrium Image Guardian or CBT icons listed on any of my drives listed in the Create a backup tab of Reflect.  I went to Macrium Image Guardian Settings and was met with an indication that this feature is not installed.  I have been running MIG since its inception and didn't change anything as far as I know.

In addition, I went to Defaults -> Advanced -> Advanced Incrementals and noticed Enable Changed Block Tracking for Incremental Backups is not checked and that option is grayed out.

Any idea what's causing this?  I can't help but wonder if this is somehow related to my scheduled backups disappearing when I reported an hour or so ago in another thread.

Could this have something to do with changing my running Windows account to administrator and running Reflect under this account instead of using UAC to start Reflect under a different local Administrator account every time I start?  Maybe when I installed a Reflect upgrade this caused a problem with settings being reset??

https://forum.macrium.com/40848/Scheduled-backups-disappeared
https://forum.macrium.com/40546/Save-As-window-for-exporting-schedules-not-showing-all-folders-in-Documents
Edited 21 October 2020 11:11 PM by Gork
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Gork - 21 October 2020 11:05 PM
I just noticed that I did not have either the Macrium Image Guardian or CBT icons listed on any of my drives listed in the Create a backup tab of Reflect.  I went to Macrium Image Guardian Settings and was met with an indication that this feature is not installed.  I have been running MIG since its inception and didn't change anything as far as I know.

In addition, I went to Defaults -> Advanced -> Advanced Incrementals and noticed Enable Changed Block Tracking for Incremental Backups is not checked and that option is grayed out.

Any idea what's causing this?  I can't help but wonder if this is somehow related to my scheduled backups disappearing when I reported an hour or so ago in another thread.

Could this have something to do with changing my running Windows account to administrator and running Reflect under this account instead of using UAC to start Reflect under a different local Administrator account every time I start?  Maybe when I installed a Reflect upgrade this caused a problem with settings being reset??

https://forum.macrium.com/40848/Scheduled-backups-disappeared
https://forum.macrium.com/40546/Save-As-window-for-exporting-schedules-not-showing-all-folders-in-Documents

Thanks for posting. It looks like there's been a full removal of reflect with the option to remove scheduled task, logs etc. and a subsequent full re-install without CBT or MIG selected.  I see you've been asked to open a support ticket regarding your scheduled tasks.  We can look at all your recent observations using that support ticket. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
I opened ticket #75495 and included information for all three of the issues I've posted and cross-linked in my posts. I'm guessing this is all related. CBT turned off, MIG uninstalled, Scheduled Backups missing.

I recently upgraded Reflect twice - but I have not uninstalled and re-installed.  My last backup log on 20 Oct at 05:00 hrs my time shows MIG and CBT were running.  What I have reported happened since, but I made no changes to Reflect between that time and when I noticed this after my 21 Oct at 05:00 hrs backup didn't run.  I am currently running v7.3.5289 and the log on 20 Oct shows v7.3.5289 as well.  Though I linked my information about running under a different user now (upgrading my regular user to Admin instead of letting UAC force me to run Reflect as a separate local admin user) this obviously has nothing to do with the issue at hand.  I can say this for sure now because the Windows account change was made before my backup and the resulting MR log on 20 Oct at 05:00.  Anyway, if Reflect was uninstalled and re-installed as you suggest it seems, it was done without my knowledge and without any trigger of UAC which I would have had to authorize.

The only oddity that I know of is the power issue I reported in one of my threads.  What actually happened is there is a problem with the main motherboard power connector from the PSU to the header on the motherboard and it caused the motherboard to lose power momentarily and the system to reboot, just as if I would have unplugged the PC from the power outlet then immediately plugged it back in.

Even if this oddity was caused by some issue regarding the power problem I'm sharing and isn't a problem Macrium can do anything about, it is troubling that a simple power fluctuation could cause problems within Reflect somehow which would disable MIG and leave my backup images at risk.  It seems odd to me that the power problem could cause data loss which seems to have only affected Reflect and only specific pieces of Reflect as well.  So I question whether the power issue and any possible resulting data corruption might be to blame.

But anyway, those are my thoughts...  I want to get Reflect back up and running my backups ASAP, but I haven't tried to do anything yet before giving Macrium a chance to look into it - I don't want to ruin a possible chance to be able to discover the root of an actual software problem or something that needs to be addressed.
Edited 22 October 2020 11:14 AM by Gork
Gork
Gork
Guru
Just to follow up with what has happened with this thus far.  The short of it is that the problem was fixed by uninstalling Reflect and re-installing it.

The long drawn-out tedious version...

First off, I was fairly certain I could get MIG and CBT back up and running.  If nothing else I were to try worked, restoring to my 20 October backup would have certainly fixed the problem - though I may have suffered some loss of data if I saved anything or made changes I forgot to first back up or that weren't included in the image backups since 20 Oct when this problem surfaced.  Or, if six months of time went by before I found out something was missing - since I save six months of daily backups.

When I opened the support ticket as requested I was asked several questions and Macrium also requested I perform a few operations.  The most significant of these operations was to perform a Modify install.  Reflect indicated CBT and MIG were installed, and clicking Modify did something but afterwards did not require a reboot - leading me to know that CBT and MIG were not "newly installed" with my Modify operation.  (I used the Win10 account which was a Normal Win10 user account but was changed to an Admin account well before this problem arose.  Reflect has been updated many times while logged into this account when it was a Normal account, but with UAC forcing a second Admin Local User account to provide the proper escalated privileges.  Though I don't remember clearly, nor do I think it of relevance here, my last "clean install" back in 2017 may have been done under the account I use normally - but before I switched it from Admin - as it was initially set up when I installed Win10 - to Normal.  The latest update or two might also have been performed with this same account as an Admin account - I'm unclear as to the timing.)

Macrium had actually suggested that I try to install Reflect on a different Local Admin account over my current install, so after the steps above I did so.  It actually went through a normal install process, requiring me to input my key and all even though I installed it to the same directory as the original install.  I made sure CBT and MIG were selected to be installed.  I was required to reboot after this process, but nothing with MIG and CBT changed.

After a few more back and forth posts to my ticket, Macrium asked me to allow them to remotely connect to my Windows session and observe what I had been describing.  We just finished with this "meeting."  I watched as the Macrium Representative went through all the necessary processes to verify the information I had provided with regard to the problem.  After going through this process, the representative uninstalled Reflect then re-installed it.  Things seem to be working normally now.

I pointed out to the representative that these are steps I would have taken to correct the problem on my own, but I wanted Macrium to be aware of the issue.  I think the most alarming part of all this MIG being disabled without my knowledge and yet showing as being functional in the daily backup logs.  That seems like a security issue to me.  The representative indicated he understood my intentions for reporting the problem.

I think this will be a difficult thing for Macrium to nail down, if they're ever able to do so.  I might be wrong, but it seems like it's a major fluke regarding something gone awry with my specific situation.  However, even if they're not able to get anywhere with this to make programatic changes to attempt to ensure this doesn't happen in the future, at least they have all this data to use to compare with other issues that might crop up at some point.  My information, the ticket and the remote session have all been recorded and saved by Macrium.
Gork
Gork
Guru
Oh, one more thing.  I couldn't let this end without a quick shout-out to Macrium.

I have been a customer since at least 04 June 2012 when I purchased Reflect v5 Professional for use on my Win7 system.  I used Ghost for many MANY years before that, starting before Windows was even born.  If I recall correctly, Ghost ended up finding a new home and kind of left retail customers behind.  There was another imaging program I used, the first I knew of which would take "live images," at one point (I can't remember the name) but that software was bought out, I believe, by Norton.  So I continued with Ghost after Norton incorporated the "new" software into Ghost and started performing "live image backups" as well.

When I left Ghost, I went with another company and was extremely dissatisfied.  After a year or so I left them behind in the dust and spent a great deal of time looking into other solutions.  It was during this time that I discovered Reflect and it has been my go-to for my imaging and back-up needs ever since.

My experiences with Macrium have been positive.  There have been a couple of small "loose ends" over the years when dealing with Macrium, but nothing even close to major issues.  And I have suffered through a few issues with Reflect over the years as well.  The folks at Macrium have always taken me seriously, have been kind and professional and have always taken the time to UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M SAYING and provide assistance when needed.  This is an artform lost by corporations in this day and age, and though many of us "early users" felt it might change as Macrium grew - well, it has not.  And the "issues with Reflect?"  I have NEVER seen another software company come out when needed to admit to problems and address them SO VERY QUICKLY as Macrium does.

I use my "gifted" NFR Server version of Reflect on my PC.  I've never paid a dime for it.  However, I have six total licenses, not including others family members have purchased at my behest.  I only use four of my six licenses, and truly only need two of them.  The only reason I buy more than I need?  I wish to support Macrium.  Their pricing is fair, their Reflect software is awesome and their customer support is second to none.

Here's to being grateful for eight or so years and hoping for eight more to come!
capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)
Gork - 27 October 2020 12:31 PM
Oh, one more thing.  I couldn't let this end without a quick shout-out to Macrium.

I have been a customer since at least 04 June 2012 when I purchased Reflect v5 Professional for use on my Win7 system.  I used Ghost for many MANY years before that, starting before Windows was even born.  If I recall correctly, Ghost ended up finding a new home and kind of left retail customers behind.  There was another imaging program I used, the first I knew of which would take "live images," at one point (I can't remember the name) but that software was bought out, I believe, by Norton.  So I continued with Ghost after Norton incorporated the "new" software into Ghost and started performing "live image backups" as well.

When I left Ghost, I went with another company and was extremely dissatisfied.  After a year or so I left them behind in the dust and spent a great deal of time looking into other solutions.  It was during this time that I discovered Reflect and it has been my go-to for my imaging and back-up needs ever since.

My experiences with Macrium have been positive.  There have been a couple of small "loose ends" over the years when dealing with Macrium, but nothing even close to major issues.  And I have suffered through a few issues with Reflect over the years as well.  The folks at Macrium have always taken me seriously, have been kind and professional and have always taken the time to UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M SAYING and provide assistance when needed.  This is an artform lost by corporations in this day and age, and though many of us "early users" felt it might change as Macrium grew - well, it has not.  And the "issues with Reflect?"  I have NEVER seen another software company come out when needed to admit to problems and address them SO VERY QUICKLY as Macrium does.

I use my "gifted" NFR Server version of Reflect on my PC.  I've never paid a dime for it.  However, I have six total licenses, not including others family members have purchased at my behest.  I only use four of my six licenses, and truly only need two of them.  The only reason I buy more than I need?  I wish to support Macrium.  Their pricing is fair, their Reflect software is awesome and their customer support is second to none.

Here's to being grateful for eight or so years and hoping for eight more to come!

Well said!

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5321
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.2.3

Edited 27 October 2020 12:58 PM by capair45
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic