SSD does not show as a destination disk

Author
scopio
Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Clone Inspiron 1545 HDD
I am replacing the HDD to an SSD and I tried cloning the HDD with Macrium but the SSD in a Sabrent docking station does not show in Macrium as a source disk!
The SSD does show in Disk Management and I created it as a Simple Volume but still Macrium does not see it.
Any help appreciated.
Just tried connecting the SSD in the laptop and installing Windows from new the laptop does not recognise the SSD so, giving up in replacing the HDD with an SSD!

Edited 21 October 2020 6:11 PM by scopio
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
scopio - 21 October 2020 5:56 PM
Clone Inspiron 1545 HDD
I am replacing the HDD to an SSD and I tried cloning the HDD with Macrium but the SSD in a Sabrent docking station does not show in Macrium as a source disk!
The SSD does show in Disk Management and I created it as a Simple Volume but still Macrium does not see it.
Any help appreciated.
Just tried connecting the SSD in the laptop and installing Windows from new the laptop does not recognise the SSD so, giving up in replacing the HDD with an SSD!

Thanks for posting. Not sure how the 'Sabrent docking station' presents attached disks. You just need an affordable USB > SATA bridge to enable an external disk to be read as a local disk rather than a removable drive:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sata+to+usb

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Edited 21 October 2020 9:47 PM by Nick
scopio
scopio
Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)
Thanks for the response.
I click on the link you provided and decided to buy this one as the laptop is over 10 years old and this one supports SATAI/II/III but may still have issues as on DELL Community people have posted as having problems with the SSD connector not making a good connection.
I will find out in a few days time.
Rootman
Rootman
Talented Member
Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)
I've done this for years, using MR and a few other apps.  Sometimes I've had issues and I've found the best solution is to NOT do clone of the disk.  Instead do a FULL backup of the disk to a USB drive, or second disk or network resource.  Then switch out the HDD / SSD and boot to the MR recovery disk and do a full restore of the system to the new disk. So, not a clone going directly disk to disk, but a 'clone' with an intermediary step of creating a complete FULL image backup to some other device.  The USB to SATA devices I've had have all been slow and flakey.  So a solid FULL image just seems more prudent. 

This way I have a good last FULL backup, which is important if something goofs up. And I have accidently overwritten the original HDD / SSD (don't ask how I did that once).   

This has worked out very well for me dozens of times. 
Edited 22 October 2020 4:42 PM by Rootman
scopio
scopio
Update on this post.
I have decided not to replace the HDD with the SSD as having tried connecting the SSD to the laptop it was not being recognised reason being the new SSD is slightly thinner than the old HDD and using the mounting hardware does not align the drive with the SATA connectors. Having Googled the issue there are others that have the same problem and even going to the extreme of adding a1/16" thick cardboard to get the connectors to line up!
This is a very old laptop and I do not use it other than testing new apps etc.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search