Incorrect WinRE Version Listed for Windows 10 20H2 Upgrade in Rescue Media Builder

Incorrect WinRE Version Listed for Windows 10 20H2 Upgrade in Rescue...
Author
Reflecting Mirror
Talented Member
Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I upgraded my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit PC from 2004 to 20H2.

Using the Home edition of Reflect, I went into the rescue media builder to see if I needed to recreate my rescue disk and was shocked to see the WinRE listed as 1903.

Previously on the 2004 version of Windows, Reflect showed the following:

Is this a bug in Home edition of Reflect or did the Windows 20H2 upgrade revert to a very old WinRE?

Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
Talented Member
Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)
PS: I upgraded my Windows 10 using the Windows Update Assistant instead of the “Check for updates” via Windows Update.
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
I can confirm the same behavior.  My WinRE is listed as 1903.  I also used the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant because Windows Update was not delivering 20H2 to me.

Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
Talented Member
Ticket Id #75476
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
Here's another pertinent data point.

Reflect says the WinRE build is 1903, but if you actually boot into WinRE from the boot menu option, the WinRE release is 2004, which it was before I updated to Windows 10 20H2.

I disabled the boot menu in Reflect and enabled it again before testing booting into the boot menu option.

Now, Windows 10 20H2, I think, is considered a relatively minor update to Windows 10.  So, there may not be a WinRE 2009/20H2 WinRE build accompanying Windows 10 20H2.  Why Reflect sees it as 1903 after updating to 20H2 even though it's apparently still 2004 is beyond me, though.

Gosha
Gosha
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hello Reflecting Mirror,

Thank you for posting on our forum.

We are investigating this case. 

Once we have further information, we will update you here, and on the ticket you have opened.

Kind regards
Gosha - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Edited 22 October 2020 9:23 AM by Gosha
Gosha
Gosha
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hello Reflecting Mirror,

Based on the information provided in your opening post, and research in our labs, we have determined that what you are seeing is caused by a kernel mismatch between WinRE and the host Windows 10 kernel.

Microsoft release version numbers are somewhat random, and it is not known which build will match which versions (1903, 1909, 2004 etc) until the releases are made public. It's also impossible to read the version from the WIM meta data, though the build is available, so we have to guess the version number to display in RMBuilder. In this case the guess was wrong as we had no knowledge of the final build/release mapping for 202H when RMBuilder was built.

When Windows OS is updated through the built-in 'Windows Updates' tool, rather than the 'Upgrade Assistant', the WinRE .wim file is always updated and the WinRE kernel build will always match the host Windows 10 build. This means the release number can be read from the only place where it's available, the running OS.

The 202H update through the Update Assistant tool did not update the WinRE .wim file and has caused a kernel mismatch. Prior to 202H, the WinRE file and OS kernel versions were the same.
Additionally, when booted into the rescue media the version can be read from the running WinRE OS so will always be correct.

The next update of Reflect will include the build/release mapping for 202H (2004) to enable RMBuilder to display the correct WinRE version in the case of a kernel mismatch.

Kind regards
Gosha - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Mustang
Mustang
Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)
Gosha,
I have a system that was upgraded to 20H2 through the Windows Update process not the Upgrade Assistant process. I get the same result (1903 shown by Reflect as the WinRE version). I'm 100% sure that WinRE was updated. I can see this by the size change. WinRE.wim used in Windows 2004 is 477,670 KB and the WinRE.wim in the 20H2 system is 419,859 KB. This size change can also be seen by comparing the iso size of the WinRE Reflect recovery media using version 5289 of Reflect. The new iso is smaller by approximately the same amount.

WE already know Microsoft has announced there will be no new ADK for 20H2. However, they modified the WinRE.wim used by 20H2. We'll have to wait and see what kind of problems that's going to cause.

I can tell you when I boot the new WinRE media I can look at X:\Windows\WinSxS and the folder name are still based on 10.0.19041.1.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Mustang - 22 October 2020 3:32 PM
Gosha,
I have a system that was upgraded to 20H2 through the Windows Update process not the Upgrade Assistant process. I get the same result (1903 shown by Reflect as the WinRE version). I'm 100% sure that WinRE was updated. I can see this by the size change. WinRE.wim used in Windows 2004 is 477,670 KB and the WinRE.wim in the 20H2 system is 419,859 KB. This size change can also be seen by comparing the iso size of the WinRE Reflect recovery media using version 5289 of Reflect. The new iso is smaller by approximately the same amount.

WE already know Microsoft has announced there will be no new ADK for 20H2. However, they modified the WinRE.wim used by 20H2. We'll have to wait and see what kind of problems that's going to cause.

I can tell you when I boot the new WinRE media I can look at X:\Windows\WinSxS and the folder name are still based on 10.0.19041.1.

Thanks for the post Mustang

If you run:

Dism /Get-ImageInfo /imagefile:C:\boot\macrium\WinREFiles\media\sources\boot.wim /index:1

and repeat with the WinRE.wim in the recovery folder

Do you see the same build number as your Windows 10 host (as shown in WinVer) ? 

These numbers should match: (this is not for 20H2)

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Edited 22 October 2020 3:49 PM by Nick
Mustang
Mustang
Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)
Here's the problem.

Dism /Get-ImageInfo /imagefile:C:\boot\macrium\WinREFiles\media\sources\boot.wim /index:1 shows the same for 2004 and 20H2 (10.0.19041).

The 2004 host build is 19041.572.

The 20H2 host build is 19042.572.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search