Incremental back-up not reflecting changes to some of the Folder Names

Incremental back-up not reflecting changes to some of the Folder Names...
Author
TIM_MAC
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi I did not find this topic covered in the Forum.
I have changed about 80 files and Folder names this after-noon from ex
SCA_1200 to SA_1200
All the changes to the file names have been carried to my Incremental but most of the Folder names have not when I check the last Incremental.
All the latest patches have been applied.
I have unmounted, restarted the PC but still the same. I retested two more times same issue.
It's the first time I notice this kind of behavior in 4 years.
Where should I start looking? Quite worrisome.
thanks in advance

TIM_MAC
TIM_MAC
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
I have just tested on another back-up set (my monthly) and same issue.
I will run a test with a FULL B/U tomorrow on a few directories including the faulty ones.
tk

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
For the folder names you changed where the change was not reflected in the backup, is it possible that there were no changes to the files they contain?  I may be wrong here, but I seem to remember that with File & Folder backups, if Reflect determines that no files in a given folder have changed since the previous backup, then the folder itself is essentially skipped.  So if the ONLY change has been a folder name, that might be the issue.  If you haven't already, try modifying a file inside a renamed folder (or adding a new test file) and see what happens for the next backup.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Never mind, I just staged an F&F backup to recreate the scenario I described, and when I renamed a folder without changing any files within it, the new Incremental I captured included the new folder name.  Just for clarity, can you post a pair of screenshots, one showing the path to an actual source folder on your system that you've renamed, and another showing the path to the corresponding folder in a mounted backup that was created after that folder was renamed?  One simple way to show a folder path is in the "breadcrumb" view at the top of Windows Explorer.  You might need to make the folder window wide in order to show the entire path.

TIM_MAC
TIM_MAC
Thank you for your interest.
1. I have made a new FULL BU of the Folder involved and the changes are reflected.
2. Inside the Folders whose names had changed I had also changed some filenames.
3. This am I just created a small text file which I added within the Folders in question. The text file appears in the new incremental but the Folder names did not change.
4. I was about to try a recovery to see what name the recovered Folder would have but I'll wait for yr comment, I don't want to reinvent any wheel here.
5. If some breadcrumb view of the original structure vs a Mounted Image is needed I will need to recreate a new structure since this is personal info. The breadcrumb views though clearly show the differences.
thanks again
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
TIM_MAC - 21 October 2020 1:00 PM
Thank you for your interest.
1. I have made a new FULL BU of the Folder involved and the changes are reflected.
2. Inside the Folders whose names had changed I had also changed some filenames.
3. This am I just created a small text file which I added within the Folders in question. The text file appears in the new incremental but the Folder names did not change.
4. I was about to try a recovery to see what name the recovered Folder would have but I'll wait for yr comment, I don't want to reinvent any wheel here.
5. If some breadcrumb view of the original structure vs a Mounted Image is needed I will need to recreate a new structure since this is personal info. The breadcrumb views though clearly show the differences.
thanks again

Thanks for posting. Can you please open a support ticket so we can look at the logs.

https://www.macrium.com/support

You'll need to create a support ticket account if this is the first ticket raised.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search