Backup failed message

Author
OzBoz
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi All,
Could someone please help me by translating the following error message into English because at the moment, I have no idea what it means nor how to fix it.

Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid

This was the first backup since new internal 12TB HDD  E: drive installation, and a re-write of my template. This is a full disk image (2 internal hard drives) to a 12TB external USB drive.
The only thing I can see is that the template is showing the old 4TB drive instead of the new 12TB drive for drive E:
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Operation 6 of 6
Hard Disk: 2
Drive Letter: E
File System: NTFS
CBT: Y
Label: Data
Size: 3.64 TB
Free: 2.38 TB
Used: 1.26 TB

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
OzBoz - 18 October 2020 9:23 PM
Hi All,
Could someone please help me by translating the following error message into English because at the moment, I have no idea what it means nor how to fix it.

Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid

This was the first backup since new internal 12TB HDD  E: drive installation, and a re-write of my template. This is a full disk image (2 internal hard drives) to a 12TB external USB drive.
The only thing I can see is that the template is showing the old 4TB drive instead of the new 12TB drive for drive E:

Operation 6 of 6

Thanks for posting. We've not seen this error message before, but it's returned by Windows and appears to point to a problem writing to the target drive. You may experience the same error when copying large files using Window Explorer. 

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any obvious cause so I can only suggest that you confirm the problem by copying large files using Windows Explorer and seeing if any of the Google results for this error have similarities with your  system setup:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22The+volume+for+a+file+has+been+externally+altered+so+that+the+opened+file+is+no+longer+valid%22

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Edited 19 October 2020 8:37 AM by Nick
OzBoz
OzBoz
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Nick - 19 October 2020 8:36 AM
Hi All,

Operation 6 of 6

Thanks for posting. We've not seen this error message before, but it's returned by Windows and appears to point to a problem writing to the target drive. You may experience the same error when copying large files using Window Explorer. 

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any obvious cause so I can only suggest that you confirm the problem by copying large files using Windows Explorer and seeing if any of the Google results for this error have similarities with your  system setup:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22The+volume+for+a+file+has+been+externally+altered+so+that+the+opened+file+is+no+longer+valid%22

Thanks for your response Nick.
I was half asleep when I posted the problem originally, and it should have read:-

This was the first backup since new internal 4TB HDD E: drive installation, replacing a 2TB and a re-write of my template. This is a full disk image (2 internal hard drives) to a 12TB external drive.

There was an issue fitting an internal 4TB drive (Drive E) as I understand that my version of Windows 10 could only handle 2TB, but my computer service technician fixed that for me. 
Could this be an issue of the 2TB to 4TB change? I've made numerous backups with Macrium and never had any problems like this, and the only thing that's changed is the new internal HDD of increased capacity.
I'll try again overnight tonight, but if I get the same error, I'll have to look for a replacement for Macrium Reflect.

Regards

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)
OzBoz - 19 October 2020 12:18 PM
Hi All,

Operation 6 of 6

I was half asleep when I posted the problem originally, and it should have read:-

This was the first backup since new internal 4TB HDD E: drive installation, replacing a 2TB and a re-write of my template. This is a full disk image (2 internal hard drives) to a 12TB external drive.

There was an issue fitting an internal 4TB drive (Drive E) as I understand that my version of Windows 10 could only handle 2TB, but my computer service technician fixed that for me. 
Could this be an issue of the 2TB to 4TB change? I've made numerous backups with Macrium and never had any problems like this, and the only thing that's changed is the new internal HDD of increased capacity.
I'll try again overnight tonight, but if I get the same error, I'll have to look for a replacement for Macrium Reflect.

Regards

Thanks for getting back.

The error isn't related to Macrium Reflect, so replacing the software won't resolve the problem. It's a problem with the disk storing the backup file (the 12TB disk) and you'll likely have problems just copying large files to it using Windows Explorer. You may want to confirm this as the next troubleshooting step. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Edited 19 October 2020 2:16 PM by Nick
OzBoz
OzBoz
Nick - 19 October 2020 2:15 PM
OzBoz - 19 October 2020 12:18 PM
Hi All,

Operation 6 of 6

Regards

Thanks for getting back.

The error isn't related to Macrium Reflect, so replacing the software won't resolve the problem. It's a problem with the disk storing the backup file (the 12TB disk) and you'll likely have problems just copying large files to it using Windows Explorer. You may want to confirm this as the next troubleshooting step. 

OzBoz
OzBoz
Hello Nick,
Just to sign off on this subject, the problem is solved.  The last failed attempt gave me a totally different error message stating that the destination drive did not exist.  This was clearly wrong as it was showing up, and behaving normally in Windows Explorer, but it gave me a starting point for troubleshooting. To cut a long story short, I traced the problem to the USB socket I was using. Why Macrium reported this drive as non existing I have no idea, but changing to a different USB socket fixed my problem.

Thanks for your input

Regards
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
OzBoz - 20 October 2020 9:09 PM
Hello Nick,
Just to sign off on this subject, the problem is solved.  The last failed attempt gave me a totally different error message stating that the destination drive did not exist.  This was clearly wrong as it was showing up, and behaving normally in Windows Explorer, but it gave me a starting point for troubleshooting. To cut a long story short, I traced the problem to the USB socket I was using. Why Macrium reported this drive as non existing I have no idea, but changing to a different USB socket fixed my problem.

Thanks for your input

Regards

Thanks for getting back and letting us know.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search