Preparing to restore to a new disk ; is it better to image, or to clone ?

Author
Clairvaux
Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
jphughan - 19 October 2020 3:31 PM
My guess is that you may have had a sector on your source drive go bad in a way that didn't allow all of its data to be read, even to be copied to a spare sector.

That's quite possible, indeed. Thank you.
Clairvaux
Clairvaux
Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)
I have now made an extra attempt. My previous restore was a test one. Now I want to retire the old disk, transfer data to the new one, and stop writing to the old disk.

So I tried to make a new image + restore, the last one. Image failed,as it has been doing so often for, I think, years now.

I'm all the more worried since I did that from the Rescue environment (booting from the special Macrium partition), in order to avoid possible VSS problems. Well, it failed, as has been so often the case lately, when I try to do a full as opposed to differentials or incrementals (but those fail, too).

The error message was one I often get :
Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error Code 1117 - The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

But they vary. I get all sorts.

So I tried to clone instead, and it worked. However, it worked too well. It completed in 8 minutes. For 154 GB of data. (And I did not tick the box Ignore Bad Sectors.) Whereas when I cloned my system disk, it took 3 hours and 22 minutes for 148 GB.

So two questions here :

1. Can that really be the result of Rapid Delta Clone ? My data was already on the target disk, and the differences were likely very small. Does not Macrium verify the result of its work, when cloning ? Just the verifying phase takes a lot of time when imaging. 
  2. Can any hints can be taken from this to troubleshoot my endless imaging failures ? Cloning a disk worked twice (admittedly, this is not very much). This happens inside the computer. Imaging fails very often, in multiple software and hardware situations, but the common point is it happens whith target disks outside of the computer. It happens with incrementals, differentials and fulls (especially with fulls), and it happens with an USB 2 cable, 2 different USB 3 cables and an eSATA cable. It also happens with different disk enclosures (2 different models, and 2 pieces of the same model). The target disks themselves are the same model (there are 2 of them).

Edited 20 October 2020 10:05 PM by Clairvaux
capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)
See this:  https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Error+Code+1117+IO+error

A "Read" error suggests a problem with the source disk.

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5365
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.2.3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
My only theory as to why imaging would fail while cloning when using Rapid Delta Clone would succeed is that an RDC clone doesn't require Reflect to read all data on the source disk, only the data that has changed, which it can determine based on analyzing the file system rather than having to compare every individual data block.  So your particular scenario might have allowed for an RDC clone that sidestepped the problem areas on the source disk.

Yes, RDC can drastically reduce cloning time if the destination already has a previous clone state on it.

Verification doesn't apply to cloning.  If that is surprising to you, that might be because you may have an understandable and fairly common misunderstanding about how verification works in image scenarios.  Contrary to some people's expectations, a verification does NOT involve re-reading the source data to verify that it matches what was written into the image backup file.  Instead, it involves reading just the resulting image file to verify that it is fully readable and is not corrupted, the latter of which is determined based on performing a checksum comparison (again, NOT by rechecking the data on the actual source).  Of course if your system is such that you can't write an image backup file to a target without it immediately becoming partially unreadable or corrupt, you've very likely got rather larger issues on your hands.  This is largely why I personally consider verification to be a rather pointless exercise.  For further reading, this post of mine contains links to two other threads that you might find illuminating, one of which has fairly extensive explanations from Macrium themselves.  But in any case, performing this type of verification in a clone scenario wouldn't be possible because unlike an image file, a clone destination doesn't have checksums of all of its data blocks to verify against.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search