Rescue Media can't find USB external HDD after 5283 update

Author
Phil_C
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The recent update fixed the BSOD when trying to eject my USB external HDD where backup images are stored.

But now my rescue flash drive can't find the USB HDD.  I've tried everything I can think of, including a new rebuild of the rescue flash drive and going back to Win PE instead of Win RE.  I've disconnected and reconnected the external drive. Nothing works.

I can create a backup image from Win 10 normally.  Everything works as it should -- until I boot from the rescue drive.  Win RE (or PE) loads normally. But when the main screen comes up there is a very brief flash of the disk layouts which then disappear.  The program keeps looking for images and finally stops.  The resulting error text contains the correct paths for where images have been stored, but says "Not found" for each.
The drive dropdown on the main screen does not contain the external drive, only the local disks and partitions on my PC.

So I can backup all I want from Win 10.  I just have no way to restore an image.

In my state of desperation, I tried to change the drive letter of the external disk in Windows -- but this gave me another BSOD!  The error message was something like "Multiple IRP Complete Requests".

What could have caused this?  Did the earlier Reflect BSOD errors damage something?  I am at a loss.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Changing a drive letter in Windows won't directly affect Rescue.  There's nothing recorded on the partition itself that says, "I should be drive letter X."  Windows remembers what drive letters have been manually specified to specific volumes, but that's due to Windows maintaining a memory, not anything stored on the disk.  Reflect does bake some information into Rescue Media about drive letter assignments so that if you use Rescue Media on the actual PC where you created it, then often drives will have the same letters you normally see in Windows -- but even that isn't perfect, and you'd have had to perform a full WIM rebuild of your Rescue Media after changing the drive letter for that info to be incorporated into it.

In terms of the issue, try opening PE Explorer in Rescue Media, which is Macrium's basic file browser that's accessed by clicking the blue computer icon in the Rescue Media taskbar.  Does that show the drive?  If not, can you open Command Prompt and enter "list disk" to see if Rescue even sees the disk?  If it does, enter "select disk X", replacing X with the number of this problematic disk, then enter "list partition".  Are the expected partitions of that disk listed?  If so, enter "list volume".  Is the partition on your external drive listed there, hopefully with a drive letter?

If you can't see the disk at all using any of those mechanisms, open Rescue Media Builder and go to Advanced > Devices & Drivers.  Do you have the "USB override" checkbox checked?  If so, try unchecking it in case this is a USB driver issue in your Rescue environment.  That option was introduced to FIX some USB 3.0 driver issues that some people had, especially when using WinPE/RE 3.1 (Win7 kernel), which has no native USB 3.0 support, but after it was introduced, other users found that enabling it created some problems in their use cases.

In terms of the blue screen, it's probably caused by the CBT driver.  As a workaround, if you can live without CBT for a bit, you can uninstall just the CBT component of Reflect until Macrium releases a patch containing an actual fix.  To do that, go to Programs and Features, select Reflect, click Change, then select Modify, uncheck CBT, and continue through the wizard.  Reflect works just fine without CBT.

JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Phil_C - 15 October 2020 6:38 PM
The recent update fixed the BSOD when trying to eject my USB external HDD where backup images are stored.

But now my rescue flash drive can't find the USB HDD.  I've tried everything I can think of, including a new rebuild of the rescue flash drive and going back to Win PE instead of Win RE.  I've disconnected and reconnected the external drive. Nothing works.

I can create a backup image from Win 10 normally.  Everything works as it should -- until I boot from the rescue drive.  Win RE (or PE) loads normally. But when the main screen comes up there is a very brief flash of the disk layouts which then disappear.  The program keeps looking for images and finally stops.  The resulting error text contains the correct paths for where images have been stored, but says "Not found" for each.
The drive dropdown on the main screen does not contain the external drive, only the local disks and partitions on my PC.

So I can backup all I want from Win 10.  I just have no way to restore an image.

In my state of desperation, I tried to change the drive letter of the external disk in Windows -- but this gave me another BSOD!  The error message was something like "Multiple IRP Complete Requests".

What could have caused this?  Did the earlier Reflect BSOD errors damage something?  I am at a loss.

Hi @Phil_C,

Please can you open a support ticket at https://helpme.macrium.com referencing this post?

Once this has been done, we can arrange for you to send us the logs that have been generated by the various Macrium components.

With these logs, we will be able to build a better understanding of what has gone wrong and this will help us to provide a solution.

Kind regards,

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

Phil_C
Phil_C
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
jphughan - 15 October 2020 7:55 PM
Changing a drive letter in Windows won't directly affect Rescue.  There's nothing recorded on the partition itself that says, "I should be drive letter X."  Windows remembers what drive letters have been manually specified to specific volumes, but that's due to Windows maintaining a memory, not anything stored on the disk.  Reflect does bake some information into Rescue Media about drive letter assignments so that if you use Rescue Media on the actual PC where you created it, then often drives will have the same letters you normally see in Windows -- but even that isn't perfect, and you'd have had to perform a full WIM rebuild of your Rescue Media after changing the drive letter for that info to be incorporated into it.

In terms of the issue, try opening PE Explorer in Rescue Media, which is Macrium's basic file browser that's accessed by clicking the blue computer icon in the Rescue Media taskbar.  Does that show the drive?  If not, can you open Command Prompt and enter "list disk" to see if Rescue even sees the disk?  If it does, enter "select disk X", replacing X with the number of this problematic disk, then enter "list partition".  Are the expected partitions of that disk listed?  If so, enter "list volume".  Is the partition on your external drive listed there, hopefully with a drive letter?

If you can't see the disk at all using any of those mechanisms, open Rescue Media Builder and go to Advanced > Devices & Drivers.  Do you have the "USB override" checkbox checked?  If so, try unchecking it in case this is a USB driver issue in your Rescue environment.  That option was introduced to FIX some USB 3.0 driver issues that some people had, especially when using WinPE/RE 3.1 (Win7 kernel), which has no native USB 3.0 support, but after it was introduced, other users found that enabling it created some problems in their use cases.

In terms of the blue screen, it's probably caused by the CBT driver.  As a workaround, if you can live without CBT for a bit, you can uninstall just the CBT component of Reflect until Macrium releases a patch containing an actual fix.  To do that, go to Programs and Features, select Reflect, click Change, then select Modify, uncheck CBT, and continue through the wizard.  Reflect works just fine without CBT.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried variations of all these things.  The result is that the external USB drive was not visible in RE.

I say WAS, because I finally decided to format the rescue media and build it from scratch with "normal" settings.  Now I can see the external drive.  HOWEVER, weird things are happening.  For example, I have a folder on the USB that contains a couple of images.  The same folder contains three subfolders with other images.  In Win RE, a Refresh sometimes sees the images in certain folders, but NOT in others (although I can browse to the "missing" specific folders).  If I do another refresh, some images might appear, while others do not.  And one time, I could see just one image -- that was located in a folder that RE described as "path not found".

All of his seems VERY ODD.  Especially for a program that I've used for years  without a problem in both the free and paid versions.

BTW, the original problem happens with two different rescue flash drives.  And I now have the same strange results with both of those after formatting them and rebuilding RE.

I would hate for an image to "disappear" during a restore.

Phil_C
Phil_C
JamieW - 15 October 2020 8:12 PM
Phil_C - 15 October 2020 6:38 PM

Hi @Phil_C,

Please can you open a support ticket at https://helpme.macrium.com referencing this post?

Once this has been done, we can arrange for you to send us the logs that have been generated by the various Macrium components.

With these logs, we will be able to build a better understanding of what has gone wrong and this will help us to provide a solution.

@
JamieW

I tried to open a ticket, but was not allowed in.  Do I need different credentials for support than I do for these forums?  My year of standard support is not up until December.

Thanks.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Very odd indeed.  Are you sure that this does not ever occur outside of Rescue?  The reason I ask is that just yesterday someone here was reporting that their Reflect folder sometimes allowed them to browse into it, and other times threw an error that the specified device could not be found.  And later that person noticed that some parts of Windows showed the disk to be formatted as NTFS as expected, whereas other areas indicated that it was RAW, which is definitely NOT good if it actually has a file system.  And then he found a bunch of file system errors in Event Viewer.

Phil_C
Phil_C
Everything seems smooth and normal in Win 10.  I can browse to the Reflect install folder, as well as the external  USB HDD where my images are stored.  My computer is acting completely normal.  (Except for the BSOD when trying to change the USB drive letter, as previously discussed -- but I don't need to do that anyway.)

I would try restoring a system image from five days ago, which I think was before either of the recent Reflect updates, but I'm afraid to do it because of the RE problems.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search