After switching backup to Macrium Task Scheduler, 9:45 AM task starts at 9:50 AM.

After switching backup to Macrium Task Scheduler, 9:45 AM task starts...
Author
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
dbminter - 20 October 2020 11:12 PM
I do use Windows Defender only.  MalwareBytes IS installed, but its active protections are disabled.  It's only there installed as a fall back in case malware gets in.  That malware may not let me install MalwareBytes to remove it after it's infected the system.  And I only use ZoneAlarm for its free firewall capabilities, so it shouldn't be altering files because it's not scanning them.  Plus, I tried uninstalling MalwareBytes before performing a test and ReflectUI was still unresponsive.

I'll try enabling the Hourly checks again and disabling ZA and see if the ReflectUI crashes.

Unfortunately, that still doesn't explain why it doesn't affect 7.2 but does affect 7.3.
Unfortunately, that still doesn't explain why it doesn't affect 7.2 but does affect 7.3

It's either ZoneAlarm or MalwareBytes. Just uninstall them.  If you don't want to do that then add an exception or disable update checking. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Edited 20 October 2020 11:28 PM by Nick
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It's not MalwareBytes.  I know that for sure as I already tested uninstalling it, restarting the PC, opening and closing Reflect, and restarting the PC again.  ReflectUI still was unresponsive.  I did not test ZoneAlarm, but I doubt that could be the cause.  However, I don't mind testing it to see if that's the case.  It's a simple matter of taking an Incremental, uninstalling, testing, and restoring the Incremental.

In fact, to be doubly sure it isn't some of weird conspiracy on the part of both applications ganging up on me, I'll uninstall MalwareBytes again as part of my test.

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
Well, I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong.  Smile  It was ZoneAlarm that was causing both problems I was experiencing, it seems.  When I tested ZA earlier, I didn't actually UNINSTALL it.  I just closed the resident part that was in the Notification area.  When I uninstalled ZoneAlarm, ReflectUI stopped not responding.  And my explorer.exe crash kind of "resolved" itself.  It didn't manifest itself at all on the first restart test.  On the 2nd restart test, an explorer.exe crash window appeared, but it closed itself off instead of requiring me to press End Now.

However, I did experience some different results initially.  I turned the Hourly checks back on in Reflect and restarted the PC.  I uninstalled MalwareBytes and restarted the PC and ReflectUI became unresponsive WITHOUT my first opening and closing the Reflect main interface.  I uninstalled ZA and restarted Windows and ReflectUI became unresponsive again WITHOUT my first opening and closing the Reflect main interface.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)
dbminter - 21 October 2020 12:15 AM
Well, I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong.  Smile  It was ZoneAlarm that was causing both problems I was experiencing, it seems.  When I tested ZA earlier, I didn't actually UNINSTALL it.  I just closed the resident part that was in the Notification area.  When I uninstalled ZoneAlarm, ReflectUI stopped not responding.  And my explorer.exe crash kind of "resolved" itself.  It didn't manifest itself at all on the first restart test.  On the 2nd restart test, an explorer.exe crash window appeared, but it closed itself off instead of requiring me to press End Now.

However, I did experience some different results initially.  I turned the Hourly checks back on in Reflect and restarted the PC.  I uninstalled MalwareBytes and restarted the PC and ReflectUI became unresponsive WITHOUT my first opening and closing the Reflect main interface.  I uninstalled ZA and restarted Windows and ReflectUI became unresponsive again WITHOUT my first opening and closing the Reflect main interface.

To clarify, removing ZoneAlarm has enabled the Reflect background update check, the backup starting dialog and resolved the 5 minute delay when a scheduled backup starts. However, you still have a problem with Explorer and ReflectUI.exe becoming unresponsive?  Whatever is causing Explorer to hang is likely the same problem that's causing ReflectUI.exe to hang.  
If possible, can you create a .dmp file, as you did previously, of ReflectUI.exe when it hangs and provide a link to your open support ticket? We can then take a look and see what might be locking. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
No, explorer.exe has stopped becoming unresponsive after uninstalling ZoneAlarm, too.  It did "crash" once on restart of Windows after uninstalling ZoneAlarm, but it never repeated again.

I've not had a chance to test the 5 minute delay or the dialog not appearing yet, but that's coming up in 7 minutes from now.

Was ReflectUI updated between 7.2.x and 7.3?  I ask because there must be a reason why it started becoming unresponsive on 7.3 but not 7.2, even when ZoneAlarm hadn't been updated.

EDIT: The morning backup ran at 9:45 AM, started on time at 9:45 AM, and the dialog appeared!  Smile  You were right; that was what was causing the problem.

Edited 21 October 2020 2:51 PM by dbminter
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
dbminter - 21 October 2020 2:41 PM
No, explorer.exe has stopped becoming unresponsive after uninstalling ZoneAlarm, too.  It did "crash" once on restart of Windows after uninstalling ZoneAlarm, but it never repeated again.

I've not had a chance to test the 5 minute delay or the dialog not appearing yet, but that's coming up in 7 minutes from now.

Was ReflectUI updated between 7.2.x and 7.3?  I ask because there must be a reason why it started becoming unresponsive on 7.3 but not 7.2, even when ZoneAlarm hadn't been updated.

EDIT: The morning backup ran at 9:45 AM, started on time at 9:45 AM, and the dialog appeared!  Smile  You were right; that was what was causing the problem.

Glad all appears to be resolved.

Was ReflectUI updated between 7.2.x and 7.3?

Nope. Functionality is exactly the same. The problem with 3rd party security software products is that they tend to ignore digital signatures and assume that when the hash of an executable changes that it needs to be 're-evaluated'. This, more often than not, does more harm than good.  It's a constant and unnecessary battle. Windows Defender and Windows Firewall is all anyone really needs, and that works properly. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
That's really weird.  There must be some reason why 7.2.x doesn't do this but 7.3 did.  Oh, well, as long as it stops, that's all I care about!  Wink

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search