After switching backup to Macrium Task Scheduler, 9:45 AM task starts at 9:50 AM.

After switching backup to Macrium Task Scheduler, 9:45 AM task starts...
Author
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've said it before and I'll say it again.  You guys here are the best tech support I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with!  Smile

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
@Nick

Unfortunately, neither uninstalling MalwareBytes or adding the Windows Defender exclusion solved the problem.
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
dbminter - 20 October 2020 6:18 PM
@Nick

Unfortunately, neither uninstalling MalwareBytes or adding the Windows Defender exclusion solved the problem.

Thanks for getting back,

The background check for updates is hanging. An http request should never hang indefinitely and this points to a lock applied by a firewall or some other intercept that's preventing the process from completing. If you disable 'Hourly background checks', until we establish what's causing the problem, then ReflectUI can complete the other IPC requests without hinderance. This will enable the Backup Starting dialog and other IPC events to continue:

EDIT: Are you running ZoneAlarm?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Edited 20 October 2020 8:44 PM by Nick
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
@Nick

I will try that.  I've got a few things queued up to do, including checking for Windows 10 October 2020 Update, which has apparently been released.  I want to see if that helps given some new data points I discovered.

I restored down to my backup made after updating Windows 10 to 2004 and updating Reflect to 7.3; the issue was still present.  I restored down to my 2nd oldest backup, a Windows 10 1909 installation with only an old Reflect Version 7 installed.  The issue isn't present on that 1909 installation, so maybe updating to October 2020 Update might help.  If it is still present, I'll disable the check for hourly updates.

Thanks!

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)
dbminter - 20 October 2020 8:45 PM
@Nick

I will try that.  I've got a few things queued up to do, including checking for Windows 10 October 2020 Update, which has apparently been released.  I want to see if that helps given some new data points I discovered.

I restored down to my backup made after updating Windows 10 to 2004 and updating Reflect to 7.3; the issue was still present.  I restored down to my 2nd oldest backup, a Windows 10 1909 installation with only an old Reflect Version 7 installed.  The issue isn't present on that 1909 installation, so maybe updating to October 2020 Update might help.  If it is still present, I'll disable the check for hourly updates.

Thanks!

Please check for ZoneAlarm. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
@Nick

Check what for ZoneAlarm?  I just updated to the newest version today, but that didn't help the issue.

I've updated to Windows 10 2009 just now and am in the process of checking what's what.

EDIT: Also, was there any change made between 7.2.x and 7.3.x regarding the URL or process for the update check?  It seems relevant to me that it still works under 7.2.x, but updating to 7.3.x causes ReflectUI to "stall" on the update check.

Thanks!

Edited 20 October 2020 10:15 PM by dbminter
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
dbminter - 20 October 2020 10:05 PM
@Nick

Check what for ZoneAlarm?  I just updated to the newest version today, but that didn't help the issue.

I've updated to Windows 10 2009 just now and am in the process of checking what's what.

EDIT: Also, was there any change made between 7.2.x and 7.3.x regarding the URL or process for the update check?  It seems relevant to me that it still works under 7.2.x, but updating to 7.3.x causes ReflectUI to "stall" on the update check.

Thanks!

Check what for ZoneAlarm? I just updated to the newest version today, but that didn't help the issue.

ZoneAarm is intrusive and may be relevant. 

"Exceptions - lets you specify directories, files, or programs that you do not wish to scan for viruses and malware. This can be useful in cases when you know these directories, files, and programs are safe, but will reduce your overall protection level"

https://www.zonealarm.com/learning-center/antivirus-and-anti-spyware

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
@Nick

I use the ZA free firewall, without the AV and anti-spyware features.

I disabled the hourly check and that did the trick.  It stopped the old ReflectUI "crash" but updating to Windows 10 2009 has caused a new "crash" on Windows restart.  This time it's explorer.exe.  However, it's not related to Reflect as far as I can tell.  I restarted the PC, let Windows fully load, waited a bit, and restarted without opening and closing Reflect first.  explorer.exe "crashes" on restart of Windows every time since updating to Windows 10 2009.  I tried disabling ZA first before restarting, and explorer.exe still "crashes."

I am still curious that this ReflectUI becoming unresponsive on checking for updates started only with 7.3; 7.2 doesn't do this.  I still wonder: was some change made to the http/URL update check in 7.3 that was not present in 7.2 that might explain this?

Thanks!

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
dbminter - 20 October 2020 10:05 PM
@Nick

Thanks!

Also, was there any change made between 7.2.x and 7.3.x regarding the URL or process for the update check? It seems relevant to me that it still works under 7.2.x, but updating to 7.3.x causes ReflectUI to "stall" on the update check.

No, there have been no changes between 7.2 & 7.3. However, irrelevant and intrusive software such as MalwareBytes and Zone Alarm don't follow the normal rules. They can 'heuristically' break systems when there's a change in the digest of the executable binary. Digital signatures don't seem to matter. There's really no reason not to use Windows Defender. Windows Defender follows the rules. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
I do use Windows Defender only.  MalwareBytes IS installed, but its active protections are disabled.  It's only there installed as a fall back in case malware gets in.  That malware may not let me install MalwareBytes to remove it after it's infected the system.  And I only use ZoneAlarm for its free firewall capabilities, so it shouldn't be altering files because it's not scanning them.  Plus, I tried uninstalling MalwareBytes before performing a test and ReflectUI was still unresponsive.

I'll try enabling the Hourly checks again and disabling ZA and see if the ReflectUI crashes.

Unfortunately, that still doesn't explain why it doesn't affect 7.2 but does affect 7.3.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search