7.3.5281 Can't Create Rescue Media

Author
phred
Talented Member
Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've installed the update on two of my three licenses so far. Both are showing 7.3.5281 in Help > About.
I have created a rescue media on one with no issues whatsoever. Tested and it's fine.
Attempted to create a rescue media on license number two and the media builder shows the version as 7.2.51.7 and says a later version is available. The 'build' button is greyed out. And yes, (obviously) I rebooted after the update.

Why would the main product window show the new (correct) version number and the media builder show the prior version?

Off to update the third license.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
The Status area shows the version of the existing cached Rescue Media file set that currently exists on your system from whenever you last built Rescue Media. It’s been that way since Reflect 7.2 introduced Rescue Media Builder. Not sure why Build is greyed out. What do you have selected as your build target when you see that?
Edited 14 October 2020 10:00 PM by jphughan
phred
phred
Talented Member
Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)
jphughan - 14 October 2020 9:59 PM
The Status area shows the version of the existing cached Rescue Media build that already exists on your system. It’s been that way since Reflect 7.2 introduced Rescue Media Builder. Not sure why Build is greyed out. What do you have selected as your build target when you see that?

I'm trying to create the Rescue Media on a USB stick that had the prior version Rescue on it. With license number one, it reformatted the stick, built the media and finished. One that machine most backups go to a USB portable drive which has a Rescue partition on it. I rebuilt it with no problem.

I have rebooted license number two again and the Builder still shows the old version number and 'build' greyed out. However, for the USB portable on this machine, when I select the Rescue partition I can 'build' but the status still shows a later version is available. No point in updating that if it's going to use the old version.

I'm going to reinstall the update and see what happens. (Haven't had time to work on the third license yet.)

EDIT: Did a rebuild of the application update but it didn't fix the rescue media issue.
Edited 14 October 2020 10:27 PM by phred
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Hold Ctrl down to expose an arrow on the right edge of the Build button and click that arrow. Do you see a Force WIM Rebuild option there? If so, click it. If it says Skip WIM Rebuild, that means clicking Build normally will trigger a WIM rebuild to incorporate the newer version. If you’re clicking Build and the process is completing successfully but Rescue Media Builder still shows the old version afterward, I’m not sure what to tell you. But the Status readout at the top doesn’t show you what Rescue Media Builder is GOING to use if you click Build. It tells you what the status of the current cached Rescue Media file set is. And when I say that, I mean a “compiled” Rescue Media build, not the elements that would be used to create a new build.
Edited 14 October 2020 10:24 PM by jphughan
phred
phred
Talented Member
jphughan - 14 October 2020 10:22 PM
Hold Ctrl down to expose an arrow on the right edge of the Build button and click that arrow. Do you see a Force WIM Rebuild option there? If so, click it. If it says Skip WIM Rebuild, that means clicking Build normally will trigger a WIM rebuild to incorporate the newer version. If you’re clicking Build and the process is completing successfully but Rescue Media Builder still shows the old version afterward, I’m not sure what to tell you. But the Status readout at the top doesn’t show you what Rescue Media Builder is GOING to use if you click Build. It tells you what the status of the current cached Rescue Media file set is. And when I say that, I mean a “compiled” Rescue Media build, not the elements that would be used to create a new build.

Inserting the USB stick again and while the builder shows the stick, it now say unsupported disk - GPT is not supported. I will manually reformat the stick and try again. (For the record, there -is- a rescue on that stick that was created with 7.2.51.7.)

When I select the USB drive rescue partition, build is not greyed out. Holding CTRL and the build down-arrow shows "Skip WIM Rebuild..." Once I build on this disk if I boot to it, will I be able to see which version is being used? I can't recall if there's a Help > About on the rescue menu.

Edited 14 October 2020 10:39 PM by phred
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
To switch from GPT to MBR, you need to reinitialize the entire disk, not just format the partition on it. Can you build an ISO file successfully, meaning the Build button is available and the version shown in the Status area updates afterward? If so, then Build is grayed out because Rescue Media Builder currently only supports MBR targets to ensure compatibility with Legacy BIOS systems as well as UEFI systems (optionally). GPT devices can only be used for UEFI booting, and while you can use such devices for Rescue Media if you build them manually, Rescie Media Builder itself currently does not allow creating UEFI-only Rescue Media.

And again, the Status area shows the cached Rescue Media file set, NOT whatever is on some device you have connected at the time. If you want to check the version of Reflect on an actual Rescue Media flash drive, look at the XML file at the root of the drive or boot into it and go to Help > About in Rescue.
Edited 14 October 2020 11:08 PM by jphughan
phred
phred
Talented Member
jphughan - 14 October 2020 11:03 PM
To switch from GPT to MBR, you need to reinitialize the entire disk, not just format the partition on it. Can you build an ISO file successfully, meaning the Build button is available and the version shown in the Status area updates afterward? If so, then Build is grayed out because Rescue Media Builder currently only supports MBR targets to ensure compatibility with Legacy BIOS systems as well as UEFI systems (optionally). GPT devices can only be used for UEFI booting, and while you can use such devices for Rescue Media if you build them manually, Rescie Media Builder itself currently does not allow creating UEFI-only Rescue Media.

And again, the Status area shows the cached Rescue Media file set, NOT whatever is on some device you have connected at the time. If you want to check the version of Reflect on an actual Rescue Media flash drive, look at the XML file at the root of the drive or boot into it and go to Help > About in Rescue.

I'm all set on all three machines. Creating the rescue on the portable USB partition was without issue. Reinitializing the USB stick to MBR got that issue resolved. Now to create new ISOs for each machine and test.

Thanks for the guidance.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search