Reflect Task Scheduler is Here!

Author
capair45
Expert
Expert (636 reputation)Expert (636 reputation)Expert (636 reputation)Expert (636 reputation)Expert (636 reputation)Expert (636 reputation)Expert (636 reputation)Expert (636 reputation)Expert (636 reputation)Expert (636 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It's Here!  7.3.5281

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5289
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.2.1

Edited 14 October 2020 6:50 PM by capair45
donald24
donald24
New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)
capair45 - 14 October 2020 6:44 PM
It's Here!  7.3.5281

Great - they finally decided for this step to avoid that buggy DST-implementation of the M$-taskscheduler.

But my VB-schedules are erroring out with a 0xc1-error after migrating, haven't got a clue why....
I've even recreated the time-schedules, but no advance here - any thoughts?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Do the VB scripts still run as expected if you execute them directly? And when recreating the schedules, did you remove them, then click Finish on the edit wizard before going back in to recreate them? If you just remove the schedules and click OK to get out into the Edit wizard but immediately go back in to add schedules, I’m not sure the removal ever gets committed to the scheduler. I believe that only happens when you complete the entire edit wizard.
donald24
donald24
New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)
I've never tested them on schedule, just by executing manually - as software-upgrade was just done. But there's some trouble even when right-clicking there... (see picture)

When I click on the +-sign here, it asks for a *.sch type-file, but these are of course vbs-files, still referenced with the new version when creating time-schedules. Might this be a bug?

edit: picture show "scheduled tasks"-tab, didnt capture that in the screenshot.
Edited 14 October 2020 9:27 PM by donald24
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
That plus sign is for importing schedules, not scripts. That’s why Reflect is looking for SCH files in that case, since exported schedules are stored as SCH files. If you want to import scripts, go to the VB Scripts tab and click the plus sign there.

The reason for the separation of schedules and scripts is that schedules are not stored in scripts or even the XML definition files, so Macrium created the ability to export and import schedules separately.

But if you want to run a specific script manually there, you need to right-click the backup type you want to run so that Reflect knows which backup type you want, NOT the script path “heading” that you showed.

But what happens if you just try to run the VB script completely outside Reflect, just by clicking the file in Windows Explorer or by calling it from Command Prompt using “cscript” if you need to specify parameters?

And what happens if you actually delete and recreate your schedules using the method I described?
Edited 14 October 2020 9:36 PM by jphughan
donald24
donald24
Hey jphughan - you're quick Wink

No I've deleted them first on the schedule tab, and then called the wizard on the VB-tab (schedules were gone) for adding a new schedule - so no fancy in one step-operation was done.

Running VBS manually works.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Interesting, I never came across this during the beta test. But I didn’t spend much time with VBS files since I use PowerShell. I imagine Macrium will fix this quickly though. Smile
donald24
donald24
jphughan - 14 October 2020 9:50 PM
Interesting, I never came across this during the beta test. But I didn’t spend much time with VBS files since I use PowerShell. I imagine Macrium will fix this quickly though. Smile

Ah, I am quite new to powershell, but this might be the way to go for me. The only reason to use vbs for me was to run several xml-backup-tasks in sequence in one vb-task. (and to run before and after commands)

You can surely do this in PS, but the Reflect sample of powershell-script didn't really comprehend this...

Thanks for your assistance!
donald24
donald24
My findings of today:
That GUI-error above only happens on "German"-language in Reflect, so it has no relevance to the problem.

VBscript files still all error out manually triggered and scheduled, if run from the "scheduled backups"-tab, if using the new scheduler.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
donald24 - 15 October 2020 6:55 PM
My findings of today:
That GUI-error above only happens on "German"-language in Reflect, so it has no relevance to the problem.

VBscript files still all error out manually triggered and scheduled, if run from the "scheduled backups"-tab, if using the new scheduler.

This is something like the fourth time that I've seen a Reflect issue reported that only affected German language installations.  As a technical person myself, I'm very curious to know what it is about German that seems to make it uniquely susceptible to strange bugs!  This always reminds of Mark Twain's amusing essay called "The Awful German Language", available here if you'd like a bit of fun.

The VBScript issue sounds like it might be a bug, but in the meantime if you want an example of how you could set up two PowerShell scripts to run one after the other, create PowerShell scripts for each of your backup jobs, selecting whatever options you need, and then create a file called "MyBackups.bat" with lines like this:
powershell.exe -executionpolicy bypass -noprofile -file "C:\Scripts\MyBackup1.ps1"
powershell.exe -executionpolicy bypass -noprofile -file "C:\Scripts\MyBackup2.ps1"

Then just run that BAT file as administrator.  (If you don't run as administrator, you'll see separate UAC prompts for each script, which will of course delay the start of the second job.)

Edited 15 October 2020 8:05 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search