Today's Update Fails to Update Boot Menu

Author
Homer712
Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
These are the two windows I get when trying to update the boot menu with today's update . . .

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Homer712 - 14 October 2020 5:36 PM
These are the two windows I get when trying to update the boot menu with today's update . . .

Thanks for posting.

From the messages displayed it appears that the Windows RE wim seems to be missing on your system. This isn't related to the update as the WinRE wim is a local file. 

Have you previously built your rescue media using WinRE or PE 10?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Homer712
Homer712
Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)Junior Member (84 reputation)
Nick, Yes, I update the boot menu anytime that Reflect is updated and have never had an issue in the past. But, here's the possible wrinkle in today's issue. I had been operating with a 240 GB SSD for some time now and was running out of space (at least that's the story I gave my live-in account). Last night I made one final system image and then imaged that to my new 500 GB SSD. May that have something to do with the error I'm seeing?

fuzi0n
fuzi0n
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
I'm getting exactly the same error message.  I've created my rescue media using the default settings. When I click the advanced button it only gives me choices for various PE editions as a base WIM, no option for RE.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Homer712 - 14 October 2020 6:25 PM
Nick, Yes, I update the boot menu anytime that Reflect is updated and have never had an issue in the past. But, here's the possible wrinkle in today's issue. I had been operating with a 240 GB SSD for some time now and was running out of space (at least that's the story I gave my live-in account). Last night I made one final system image and then imaged that to my new 500 GB SSD. May that have something to do with the error I'm seeing?

Can you open an elevated command prompt and type:

reagentc /info

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Homer712
Homer712
Nick, here you go.

Homer712
Homer712
Nick, as I'm thinking about the image I had Reflect copy onto my new SSD something just hit me. If you take a look at the below image, this is what my SSD looks like today. In the past, when I would create backup images, there was always a small little partition between my two main partitions. I memory serves me, it was maybe 400 to 500 MB. Had no idea what that was and ended up not copying it over to the new SSD. If that is the issue, can that be recreated? Or possibly I just shrink the C: partition a bit and have Reflect put it in there? I'm totally guessing here.

Gosha
Gosha
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)Macrium Representative (138 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hello Homer712,

Thanks for posting on our forum.

As Nick has previously mentioned this problem was not caused by Reflect, or the latest update.

You can try enabling WinRE by running reagentc /enable command to see if WinRE can be enabled but I suspect that the files were either moved or deleted as Reflect should detect the files even if WinRE is disabled by by running reagentc /disable.

Usually the WinRE files are located in the C:\Recovery or on a *hidden partition*:\Recovery directories, please see the pictures below:

I have assigned G to one of the hidden partitions on my disk to take this screenshot.

You can try to recover the files using the suggestions in the link below; the repair steps are located towards the end of the article:

http://woshub.com/restoring-windows-recovery-environment-winre-in-windows-10/

Kind regards
Gosha - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Edited 14 October 2020 7:26 PM by Gosha
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Homer, that partition you dropped was your WinRE partition. Yes you can shrink the C partition and restore just that partition into the space you freed up. Not sure if WinRE will auto-repair itself at that point though. As a general practice when dealing with disks containing an OS, it’s a good idea to omit only the partitions you know you do NOT need, not carry over only the partitions you think are important. Smile

Or you can choose to build Rescue Media with WinPE 10 instead of WinRE.
Edited 14 October 2020 7:27 PM by jphughan
Homer712
Homer712
jphughan, Think what I may do is just image the new SSD again only this time including all the partitions. Not like I've done all that much on the computer so far today so I should be good to go. Learn something new every day . . .

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search