Understanding Rescue PE Log

Author
capair45
Expert
Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Booting into rescue media (PE10 1709 UEFI) causes a log to be written in Local Disk [C:].  Can someone explain what is taking place and if anything needs to be done?

EDIT:  I should add that the rescue media boots correctly and all my internal and external (image backup) storage devices are visible.

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5321
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.2.3

Edited 4 October 2020 1:06 PM by capair45
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
I have a pair of errors like that for some drivers that are copied as part of my WiFi driver package in my WinRE build, even though WiFi works fine.  According to this page, the first PCI VEN and DEV ID combination is an Intel chipset USB EHCI (USB 2.0) controller, and the second is a USB xCHI (USB 3.x) controller.  My guess as to what's happening here is that the load is failing because WinPE already has native driver support for those controllers.  The question is why they're being incorporated into your Rescue Media builds in the first place.  If you go to Rescue Media Builder and clicked Advanced > Devices & Drivers, do you have the checkbox to override native USB support with drivers from the OS checked?  If so, I'd uncheck it unless you've found that you need that for USB to work as expected in Rescue.  After unchecking it, you might also need to delete those drivers from the Rescue Media build folder for Reflect to stop including them.  For your case, that would be under "C:\boot\macrium\WA10KDrivers\64Bit\USB".  That should typically be empty for WinPE 10 builds unless your system has an unusual USB host controller chipset that isn't natively supported by the WinPE 10 kernel.

capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)
jphughan - 4 October 2020 1:18 PM
I have a pair of errors like that for some drivers that are copied as part of my WiFi driver package in my WinRE build, even though WiFi works fine.  According to this page, the first PCI VEN and DEV ID combination is an Intel chipset USB EHCI (USB 2.0) controller, and the second is a USB xCHI (USB 3.x) controller.  My guess as to what's happening here is that the load is failing because WinPE already has native driver support for those controllers.  The question is why they're being incorporated into your Rescue Media builds in the first place.  If you go to Rescue Media Builder and clicked Advanced > Devices & Drivers, do you have the checkbox to override native USB support with drivers from the OS checked?  If so, I'd uncheck it unless you've found that you need that for USB to work as expected in Rescue.  After unchecking it, you might also need to delete those drivers from the Rescue Media build folder for Reflect to stop including them.  For your case, that would be under "C:\boot\macrium\WA10KDrivers\64Bit\USB".  That should typically be empty for WinPE 10 builds unless your system has an unusual USB host controller chipset that isn't natively supported by the WinPE 10 kernel.

The checkbox to override native USB support with drivers from the OS was checked so I unchecked it.
The 2 drivers in question were located in the location you posted  and I have copied them to an external drive temporarily and deleted them from the original location.  The only driver left in that location is VEN_8086_DEV_82CD.
Would I now create new rescue media and test it?

EDIT:  After a reboot, the C:\boot\macrium\WA10KDrivers\64Bit\USB is empty.  However, one of the drivers still appears in Advanced > Devices and Drivers (see attachment).

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5321
Windows Defender

Edited 4 October 2020 3:26 PM by capair45
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Yes, you'd now need to rebuild your Rescue Media, although if you're building to existing Rescue Media that already has that driver, you'll need to delete it on the Rescue Media since Rescue Media Builder doesn't delete any files on the target (unless indirectly as part of formatting the target).  The fact that the devices are still listed there is expected.  But the fact that they show as "Compatible device support in WinPE" means "This device is important to Rescue Media, which is why it's listed, but no drivers will be copied."

capair45
capair45
Expert
jphughan - 4 October 2020 4:05 PM
Yes, you'd now need to rebuild your Rescue Media, although if you're building to existing Rescue Media that already has that driver, you'll need to delete it on the Rescue Media since Rescue Media Builder doesn't delete any files on the target (unless indirectly as part of formatting the target).  The fact that the devices are still listed there is expected.  But the fact that they show as "Compatible device support in WinPE" means "This device is important to Rescue Media, which is why it's listed, but no drivers will be copied."

Rebuilt the rescue media after formatting the USB stick. 

Booted into new rescue environment.  All drives, backup storage locations, and images are available. 

Rebooted into Windows and checked the rescuepe.log.  One entry showing a normal start into 7.2.5107

I think things are good for the moment.

As usual, a big thank you!

Dave...

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5321
Windows Defender

capair45
capair45
Expert
@jphughan Last question.  Should the Windows Boot Menu be rebuilt also?

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5321
Windows Defender

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
That happens automatically whenever you rebuild Rescue Media for any target device. The rebuild process involves updating the cached build files, and the boot menu option boots from those cached files.
Edited 4 October 2020 7:42 PM by jphughan
capair45
capair45
Expert
jphughan - 4 October 2020 7:41 PM
That happens automatically whenever you rebuild Rescue Media for any target device. The rebuild process involves updating the cached build files, and the boot menu option boots from those cached files.

Thank you, again!

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5321
Windows Defender

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login