Live Update Settings

Author
phred
Talented Member
Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Being the fuddy-duddy that I am, I never allow automatic updates to take place on my PCs. But I do like to know there's an update available and read the release note. Then wait a week or two to see if anyone is having issues with the update.

In 7.2 under the Help menu, I see an option to Congigure Update Frequency. However, it appears that neither option provides a way to simply receive an email that an update is available. Yes, I see that I can enable a hourly check and if something is found, then receive an email, but seriously? Once an hour seems a little like overkill to me. But the other option, a daily check -implies- that it will download and install if it finds an update. With no notification. Or am I reading these options incorrectly.

For me, and I assume for most other home users, a daily check with an email only when an update exists, along with release note would suffice.

Thanks.
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
As far as I remember, Reflect has never automatically downloaded and installed an update in the entire time I've been using it since version 4.x.  What the check does is check for an update and then let you know the update is available.  This seems to be by design so you can take an image of your system before updating the software, just in case.  Which is what I do.  I let the update check notify me an update is available, take an Incremental before letting Reflect download the patch, and then letting Reflect download and install the latest patch.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
phred - 28 September 2020 8:53 PM
Being the fuddy-duddy that I am, I never allow automatic updates to take place on my PCs. But I do like to know there's an update available and read the release note. Then wait a week or two to see if anyone is having issues with the update.

In 7.2 under the Help menu, I see an option to Congigure Update Frequency. However, it appears that neither option provides a way to simply receive an email that an update is available. Yes, I see that I can enable a hourly check and if something is found, then receive an email, but seriously? Once an hour seems a little like overkill to me. But the other option, a daily check -implies- that it will download and install if it finds an update. With no notification. Or am I reading these options incorrectly.

For me, and I assume for most other home users, a daily check with an email only when an update exists, along with release note would suffice.

Thanks.

The hourly background check was instituted in the wake of the CBT image corruption bug.  I suggested both background update checking (rather than update checks only when launching Reflect) and the option to receive an update notification via email specifically in consideration of the reality that some Reflect installations exist on servers, where even a user logging onto Windows is uncommon, never mind a user actually launching Reflect interactively.  I was surprised that when this functionality arrived, Macrium had chosen an hourly check interval, but it's not a resource-intensive process, so I don't think it's a major issue.

I'm not sure why you believe that a daily check implies that Reflect will automatically even download an update, never mind install it.  That isn't supported by the meaning of the word "check", or more importantly the actual observed behavior of the application when that option is enabled.  Other applications allow update checks without even automatic downloads, never mind automatic installations -- including Windows itself, although Windows 10 removed some options here.  The daily check applies only when Reflect is launched interactively, i.e. Reflect starting as part of a background scheduled backup does not count.  When you launch Reflect for the first time on a given day, it checks for updates.  If it finds one, you see a popup window that displays the release notes of the new release as well as preceding releases in case you might be multiple releases behind.  You can then either choose Download or Cancel.  If you choose Download, you still have to step through the installer manually.  If you choose Cancel, you will not see that popup automatically again until the following day, unless you specifically click the "Check for updates" button in the button bar.

Edited 28 September 2020 10:50 PM by jphughan
phred
phred
Talented Member
Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)Talented Member (111 reputation)
dbminter - 28 September 2020 9:20 PM
As far as I remember, Reflect has never automatically downloaded and installed an update in the entire time I've been using it since version 4.x.  What the check does is check for an update and then let you know the update is available.  This seems to be by design so you can take an image of your system before updating the software, just in case.  Which is what I do.  I let the update check notify me an update is available, take an Incremental before letting Reflect download the patch, and then letting Reflect download and install the latest patch.

Then perhaps the language on the Configure Update Frequency page is what's confusing me.
phred
phred
Talented Member
jphughan - 28 September 2020 10:46 PM
I'm not sure why you believe that a daily check implies that Reflect will automatically even download an update, never mind install it.  That isn't supported by the meaning of the word "check", or more importantly the actual observed behavior of the application when that option is enabled.  Other applications allow update checks without even automatic downloads, never mind automatic installations -- including Windows itself, although Windows 10 removed some options here.  The daily check applies only when Reflect is launched interactively, i.e. Reflect starting as part of a background scheduled backup does not count.  When you launch Reflect for the first time on a given day, it checks for updates.  If it finds one, you see a popup window that displays the release notes of the new release as well as preceding releases in case you might be multiple releases behind.  You can then either choose Download or Cancel.  If you choose Download, you still have to step through the installer manually.  If you choose Cancel, you will not see that popup automatically again until the following day, unless you specifically click the "Check for updates" button in the button bar.

Under the second option "Daily checks for software updates..." there is an option to "restart Macrium Reflect after patching." To me that says we will check and then install the patch. But again, based on what you and @dbminter are saying, nothing will be updated unless I manually install the update.And it's good to know that the daily check will only check when Reflect is launched - I assume the first time during the day. Being a new user I'm launching it a number of times daily as I tweak my backup jobs.

Thanks again to both of you for the clarification.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
That child option you’re referring to controls whether Reflect is launched again after a patch is installed rather than just installing and exiting without opening Reflect again, but the installation itself is still manual.
phred
phred
Talented Member
jphughan - 28 September 2020 11:35 PM
That child option you’re referring to controls whether Reflect is launched again after a patch is installed rather than just installing and exiting without opening Reflect again, but the installation itself is still manual.

Understood. But that's not how I read it. And I read and re-read it a number of times before posting.
capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)
phred - 28 September 2020 11:37 PM
jphughan - 28 September 2020 11:35 PM

Understood. But that's not how I read it. And I read and re-read it a number of times before posting.

I agree that the wording can be a bit confusing, especially for a new user. Early on, I too was puzzled by the wording. I’ve now used Reflect long enough that I know patches are always installed manually.
Perhaps wording to the effect of, “All updates must be installed manually by the user. Do you want Macrium Reflect to restart automatically after you install the update?

A suggestion in the Wish List forum might be beneficial.

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5321
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.2.3

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore