Macrium Reflect has stopped working

Author
dbahn
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've had MR Home Edition running for around 2 years and have paid very little attention to it.  Last month it stopped working (no new backups, no notifications of software updates).  I didn't pay attention to the notices in the morning that said backups had failed.  I did do a software update, but I'm a complete fool when it comes to fixing problems like this, and I can't seem to find any option for support.  

Where do I start?  I never really understood how it worked in the first place.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Can you be more specific than “it stopped working”? What happens if you go through the wizard to set up a completely new backup job? If you aren’t sure how to do that, I would suggest starting with the Reflect User Guide, which you can access from the Help menu within Reflect.
Edited 24 September 2020 10:20 PM by jphughan
dbahn
dbahn
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
jphughan - 24 September 2020 10:13 PM
Can you be more specific than “it stopped working”? What happens if you go through the wizard to set up a completely new backup job? If you aren’t sure how to do that, I would suggest starting with the Reflect User Guide, which you can access from the Help menu within Reflect.

I'm about to demonstrate how clueless I am about how this works, but here's what I remember.

When I set up MR years ago I installed a second internal hard drive to back up everything that could be backed up - files, operating system, apps, etc.  So the whole C drive would be backed up on the second hard drive.  I recall configuring it so that old backups would be automatically deleted to make room for more recent ones.  It worked automatically until about a month ago.  It now occurs to me that it may just be due to lack of space on the partition holding the back up files because of a failure for older back ups to be automatically deleted.  So I  just now deleted the older versions of those on the back up drive, and I'll see if it works on the schedule back up early tomorrow morning.

When you say the "wizard" I assume you mean the main page for MR?  I can post some screenshots tomorrow, but for now let's wait and see if the problem is caused by a simple failure to delete old files resulting in a lack of destination space.  If that was the case I should get a valid back up in the morning.  Sound reasonable???
Edited 25 September 2020 1:45 AM by dbahn
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
I would really recommend that you spend some time reading the User Guide to get a bit more familiar with how backup jobs are set up, and therefore how you can figure out what you've got configured, what may be wrong, or how you can clear it all out and set things up from scratch again if you're not able to figure out how to diagnose/update whatever you've got.  You're entrusting Reflect to back up all of your data.  That is a critical function.  I would therefore suggest that it is well worth taking some of your time to understand how to use the application you have entrusted with that critical function.  It's wonderful when things work on autopilot.  But as with airplanes that actually can run on autopilot, it is also important that somebody know how to operate the controls when autopilot stops functioning  Smile

And on that subject, if you haven't already, you should really take the time to create Rescue Media, learn how to boot your system from it, make sure that the Rescue Media boots properly and can see all of your important hardware (e.g. your hard drives), and that you know how to actually set up a restore operation in case the need ever arises.  It's surprising how many people think that they can stop thinking about their backup solution after confirming that their backups are occurring.  But a backup you don't know how to restore, or that can't be restored because your Rescue Media has a problem, is not all that useful.

dbahn
dbahn
jphughan - 25 September 2020 2:16 AM
I would really recommend that you spend some time reading the User Guide to get a bit more familiar with how backup jobs are set up, and therefore how you can figure out what you've got configured, what may be wrong, or how you can clear it all out and set things up from scratch again if you're not able to figure out how to diagnose/update whatever you've got.  You're entrusting Reflect to back up all of your data.  That is a critical function.  I would therefore suggest that it is well worth taking some of your time to understand how to use the application you have entrusted with that critical function.  It's wonderful when things work on autopilot.  But as with airplanes that actually can run on autopilot, it is also important that somebody know how to operate the controls when autopilot stops functioning  Smile

And on that subject, if you haven't already, you should really take the time to create Rescue Media, learn how to boot your system from it, make sure that the Rescue Media boots properly and can see all of your important hardware (e.g. your hard drives), and that you know how to actually set up a restore operation in case the need ever arises.  It's surprising how many people think that they can stop thinking about their backup solution after confirming that their backups are occurring.  But a backup you don't know how to restore, or that can't be restored because your Rescue Media has a problem, is not all that useful.

I'm definitely guilty as charged.  It doesn't take me long into reading a software user manual before I run into words that have no meaning to me. With zero computer background and age 73 it's hard to start with computer 101. I did create Recue Media on a dedicated USB drive and have that stored away in a safe place but you're right, if I have a problem I'll almost certainly need help to get things sorted out and that kind of help is hard to come by.

Anyway, after manually deleted some of the oldest backups I see that a backup operation is underway after turning on the computer this morning, so at least SOMETHING is happening that wasn't happening before.

I've gone back to reading the user guide and am already a little lost, but I'll keep working on it, but I feel like I'm reading a foreign language and pretending that I understand it . . .
dbahn
dbahn
Well, it looks as if a backup did complete for the first time in a month and a half after deleting some of the older backup files, so I assume that I need to change the schedule for purging old backups.  I know that doesn't solve my ignorance problem with the whole system, which sounded simple to use when I bought it two years ago, but I'll spend some time trying to figure out what I can.  Thanks for your input.
Edited 25 September 2020 12:42 PM by dbahn
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Happy to help!  You might check the Log tab to see if there are any logs from the failed job attempts.  If so, the error at the bottom of the log might give a hint as to underlying cause.  If there are no logs from that "blackout" period, then that means that the jobs weren't starting at all, which typically points to a cause outside of Reflect, e.g. a problem with Windows Task Scheduler.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search