File exclusion fileter - help needed

Author
Patrick O'Keefe
Talented Member
Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I thought I understood exclusion filters, but I apparently don't.  I got the following results from a backup yesterday - an error reading a file MR was supposed to exclude:
    Folder:    \\OF-Pub-NAS1\Public\
    Include File Filter:    *.*
    Exclude File Filter:    *.temp; *.tmp; *.bak; *.~*,Networked VC Container
    Include Sub Folders:    Y
    Exclude Folder Filter:
    Exclude Hidden Files:    N
    Exclude System Files:    N
Starting Backup - Monday, September 21, 2020 10:00:06
    Write Method:    Using File System Cache
    Destination Drive:    Expansion 2 (F:) - Free Space 549.47 GB
    Image Guardian:    Protected
    Free space threshold:    Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 5.00 GB

Determining files to copy
    Total Number of Files:    40612
    Total Number of Folders:    2834
    Total Size:    205.91 GB
Copying files
    Error Reading:    \\OF-Pub-NAS1\Public\Networked VC Container
        The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Do I need to put the file name in quotes because of the blanks, or do I have some other error?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
You have a comma rather than a semicolon before "Networked VC Container", but I don't know if you can exclude a folder just by name rather than path like that.  I've never tried it.

Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick O'Keefe
Talented Member
Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)
Thank you.  I obviously saw what I expected to see rather than what was there.  Changing the coma to a semicolon got everything  working.  That was a file exclusion rather than a folder exclusion, and it is the top level in a NAS share's directory.  I guess that's why it worked.  And now that I have the correct exclusion list, a bunch of stuff suddenly got deleted from the backup.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Happy to help! Seeing what you want to see happens to me often when I write scripts. And every time, it reminds me of something my dad says: “The greatest thing and the worst thing about computers is that they do exactly what you tell them to do.”
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search