Can the rescue media be used on any PC with or without Reflect installed?

Author
E A Fiser
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Or, is it necessary to have a rescue media for each licensed PC? Relying on a Windows OS to boot is problematic. Having the option to create the rescue media using linux as the OS is preferable.

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)
The product license basically says no.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
The idea of Rescue Media is that you create it proactively so that even if Windows is dead, you'll have your pre-built Rescue Media on a disc or flash drive and will be able to boot your PC from that instead.  The idea is NOT to wait until disaster strikes to get around to building Rescue Media.  This is why the very first prompt you see upon launching Reflect, before even setting up a backup, asks you if you want to create Rescue Media.  And since Rescue Media Builder can generate a Rescue Media ISO file, you can back that up anywhere you want and use it to burn a disc or create a bootable flash drive from a variety of different PCs and OSes.  So as long as you have that, you still wouldn't necessarily need a Windows system to generate a usable disc or flash drive.

In terms of using it with different PCs, Reflect's licensing policy (for typical license purchases as opposed to special licensing arrangements) indicates that Rescue Media created by a paid version of Reflect is only licensed to be used on a PC holding a license for that version. But if you have multiple PCs, each of which has its own licenses for the same edition of Reflect, then I would be surprised if Macrium objected to you using Rescue Media built on one PC with your other PCs.  In terms of whether it will work, generally yes, although you might find that some systems require additional drivers beyond what's built into WinPE/RE, in which case you can assemble a driver library on your main PC, which will contain all drivers necessary for all of your other PCs, and from that point on any Rescue Media created by that PC will include those drivers, and thus the Rescue Media it builds should be usable on any of your PCs.

In terms of Linux, Reflect used to have a Linux-based Rescue Media option, but it was dropped a few years ago.

Edited 21 September 2020 5:57 PM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
I would build Rescue Media for each licensed PC, just to make sure.  Rescue Media built on one machine is not necessarily guaranteed to recognize all the hardware on a different PC.  For instance, I had Rescue Media built on a PC without an SSD.  It was a Dell XPS.  I then got a newer model XPS that had an SSD.  The first thing I did before starting Windows was boot the Rescue Media to image the internal hard drives' contents so I'd have a factory default image.  However, as I discovered, the Rescue Media did not recognize my SSD.  I had to boot into Windows, configure it for its first time start, install Reflect, and create new Rescue Media, which did recognize the SSD.  I then got a later XPS model than that 2nd one and tried booting the Rescue Media I had created on the 2nd Dell.  That Rescue Media did detect the SSD.

So, you can't guarantee that Rescue Media created on one PC will work fully on another.  Thus, if you have multiple PC's with multiple Reflect licenses installed, I'd create Rescue Media for each one.  Alternatively, you could create 1 Rescue Media and test boot it on each licensed PC.  Just make sure all your necessary hardware for imaging can be read or accessed.

E A Fiser
E A Fiser
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Thank you for your replies and the information contained therein. Of course if the license limits the use of the Rescue media, my question is answered. The issue with device recognition, even with a licensed PC, using Windows boot on the Rescue media  is a significant problem.  I never experienced such a situation  a  competitor's product using their linux base rescue media. As noted above, perhaps an option to  have linux based rescue media will again be available.

Rootman
Rootman
Talented Member
Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)
I realize you pretty much closed the topic but wanted to throw my experience in there.

I've got 6 licenses at home, and 2 at work.  I have created MR Rescue Media for all of them and have put the ISO files on my Easy2Boot USB drives.  I can boot from ANY of the rescue media from the same USB drive. When the chips are down and I'm seeing cross-eyed from the stress I've selected the wrong ISO file to boot to on occasion.   As long as the computer you are booting on isn't too odd and uses a SATA controller you should be OK.  On one of my work computers I have a dual NVMe with a weird controller, I've fond that only the proper MR rescue media works for it.  Other than that I've booted to another recovery media and it sees the disk and operates fine.  

I use BOTH the Windows menu and the ISO file so that I have the best possible chance of recovery. 
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
E A Fiser - 22 September 2020 10:13 AM
Thank you for your replies and the information contained therein. Of course if the license limits the use of the Rescue media, my question is answered. The issue with device recognition, even with a licensed PC, using Windows boot on the Rescue media  is a significant problem.  I never experienced such a situation  a  competitor's product using their linux base rescue media. As noted above, perhaps an option to  have linux based rescue media will again be available.

@E A Fiser I'm not sure I would consider device recognition to be a significant problem here.  First, as has been said, if you're using a modern WinPE/RE version as your Base WIM, then native drive support built into that environment in many cases will be all you need, without any additional drivers  But more importantly, again if you actually create your Rescue Media proactively as you're supposed to, then you have the opportunity to test it to VERIFY that it recognizes all of your devices.  And then you won't have a device recognition problem.  If you find that extra drivers are required for a given build, with a bit of extra effort you can even build a "universal" Rescue Media build that includes all drivers for ALL of the systems you might want to use it with.

Your experience with Linux differs from mine.  I have not found that it supports everything that's needed out of the box.  Right off the bat, unless something has changed very recently, Linux doesn't have an Intel Rapid Storage driver, which would prevent it from seeing internal storage on any system that was running in RST Premium/RAID mode.  Dell ships all of their desktops and laptops in that mode as their factory default -- except for the very few systems they offer and ship with Linux pre-installed.  Ethernet and WiFi drivers might be similarly problematic.  Given that Reflect itself isn't even offered as a Linux application, it didn't really make sense to me to have a Windows user figure out how to add Linux support for their hardware to Rescue Media.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search