Fixing windows boot via macrium doesn't work

Author
Gil80
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

I was trying to clone my SSD to a new Samsung SSD using Samsung Data Migration tool.
After the process was done, the PC rebooted and then I got stuck in this loop.
I disconnected all SSDs and just left the original SSD which is my boot system.

I used Macrium Reflect to repair the boot and also restore from a DIFF backup from yesterday, but I still get that loop of Preparing Automatic Repair.

When I select Continue > Exit and continue to Windows 10, the PC will reboot and get back to the same Preparing Automatic Repair message and again, the same options...

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Make sure you’re booting your Rescue Media in the same mode that the Windows environment you’re repairing is trying to boot, meaning BIOS vs. UEFI. Some systems can be configured to allow both methods to be available simultaneously, and if you boot Rescue in BIOS mode, it won’t attempt the correct fixes for a UEFI installation of Windows. Also check the checklist on the Fix Boot Problems wizard. Does it show success on all attempted steps?

Screenshots might also be useful here. Those can be captured in Rescue by clicking the camera icon in the taskbar and choosing where to save the screenshot.

If that doesn’t work, have you tried just rerunning the clone with Reflect rather than Samsung’s utility? If the concern is about how to resize partitions that are NOT at the end of the disk and therefore would be more difficult to resize later, that can be done during the “staging” phase of the Reflect clone wizard.
Gil80
Gil80
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
jphughan - 17 September 2020 1:35 PM
Make sure you’re booting your Rescue Media in the same mode that the Windows environment you’re repairing is trying to boot, meaning BIOS vs. UEFI. Some systems can be configured to allow both methods to be available simultaneously, and if you boot Rescue in BIOS mode, it won’t attempt the correct fixes for a UEFI installation of Windows. Also check the checklist on the Fix Boot Problems wizard. Does it show success on all attempted steps?Screenshots might also be useful here. Those can be captured in Rescue by clicking the camera icon in the taskbar and choosing where to save the screenshot.If that doesn’t work, have you tried just rerunning the clone with Reflect rather than Samsung’s utility? If the concern is about how to resize partitions that are NOT at the end of the disk and therefore would be more difficult to resize later, that can be done during the “staging” phase of the Reflect clone wizard.

I'm booting the rescue media from the post screen of windows Auto Boot Repair. So I have no idea how else I could boot it.
The checklist on the Fix Boot is not all green. The one before last had double arrows next to it.

In any case, I was able to recover from this situation by using my other backed up SSD system.

Next time I'll come across this issue, I'll post screenshots as suggested.
Thanks.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Glad to hear you're sorted, but you should really figure out how to boot your PC directly to Rescue Media in case your hard drive is ever in a state that it can't even boot into Automatic Startup Repair (or it's completely blank because you just replaced a failed hard drive).  Most PCs have a button you can press during startup to access a one-time boot menu that will allow you to choose an alternate boot device for that single boot, which avoids having to reconfigure your boot order in the BIOS Setup just for a temporary need and then have to set it all back afterward.

Gil80
Gil80
jphughan - 18 September 2020 5:08 AM
Glad to hear you're sorted, but you should really figure out how to boot your PC directly to Rescue Media in case your hard drive is ever in a state that it can't even boot into Automatic Startup Repair (or it's completely blank because you just replaced a failed hard drive).  Most PCs have a button you can press during startup to access a one-time boot menu that will allow you to choose an alternate boot device for that single boot, which avoids having to reconfigure your boot order in the BIOS Setup just for a temporary need and then have to set it all back afterward.

I press F8 or use my BIOS to override the boot and use the rescue media, but it didn't help to fix the windows boot process.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search