Can I slow down Macrium when it makes backups?

Author
Macarena
New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The reason for my question has to do with the case when a backup takes place between two external disks and in particular when they are on different USB hubs. Based on my experience I have to connect them on the same USB hub in order for the backup to complete successfully. I assume that if the speed at which Macrium performs the read-write operation could be slowed down, then the backup would complete successfully. Please note that there is no other activity on the PC while the backup is going on.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
For image backups, there's a priority slider in the lower-left corner of the activity monitor window.  If you want the default priority to be lower than maximum rather than just being able to adjust it as needed, you can customize your definition file to specify that.  Macrium has said that this slider is not available for File & Folder jobs because of some issue whereby slowing down a job that way can cause the file system to hang or something (I'm working from memory of a post I read quite a while ago), and I don't think it's currently available for disk clone jobs either, but I can't remember for sure.

Macarena
Macarena
New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)

jphughan - 16 September 2020 5:00 PM
For image backups, there's a priority slider in the lower-left corner of the activity monitor window.  If you want the default priority to be lower than maximum rather than just being able to adjust it as needed, you can customize your definition file to specify that.  Macrium has said that this slider is not available for File & Folder jobs because of some issue whereby slowing down a job that way can cause the file system to hang or something (I'm working from memory of a post I read quite a while ago), and I don't think it's currently available for disk clone jobs either, but I can't remember for sure.
Thank you for the information. The practical solution for me would then be to move both external disks to the same USB hub.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search