can't access old backups

Author
tcloud
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm running Macrium 7.2.5107 on Windows 10.0.18362 Build 18362

I created a new folder about a week ago and now need an older version of a file in that folder, but no matter which image I open, the file is always the most recent -- dated 9-13-2020.

Just to verify, I mounted a "Full" backup dated April 7, 2020, long before this folder was created, and browsed the image and the folder exists and the most recent version of the file I want is there, dated 9-13-2020.  How can that be?

It looks like that any image I mount and browse is only returning the most recent incremental backup.

What could I be doing wrong?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
You've probably got a shortcut somewhere in your browse path that's redirecting you to the folder on your C drive.  For example, let's say that in my Documents folder I've got a folder called "My Main Files".  That folder exists several folders deep within my Documents folder, because that's how I want to organize my files -- but in order to access it quickly, I created a shortcut that points to it, and I place the shortcut right at the top of my Documents folder.  That way I don't have to drill all the way down to that folder manually every time I want to see it.  That shortcut will point to "C:\Users\MyUserName\Documents\AndSoOn".  If I capture an image backup of that drive, then mount it, clicking that shortcut within the mounted backup will still take me to the C drive copy of that folder, NOT the equivalent folder in the backup.  So I would look carefully at the folder path shown in Windows Explorer when you're at the folder that you expect is within the mounted backup you're browsing.  I suspect you'll find that you've been redirected to your C drive unexpectedly somewhere.

If that isn't it, there's another way this could be happening, which I discussed over in this thread.

(And just fyi for next time, you posted this in the File and Folder Backup section even though your screenshot indicates that you're using disk images, for which there's a separate forum section.)

Edited 16 September 2020 2:22 PM by jphughan
tcloud
tcloud
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
The shortcut was the problem -- thank you.  But I still can't find the older version.  My backup is supposed to run every day.  I have backups for the 15th (yesterday), the 14th and then skips to the 11th, which is before I created the file.  I don't understand why I don't have backups of the version from the 12th and 13th.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Did you set a daily backup schedule that only selected Weekdays rather than Every day?  See the below screenshot.  If you check the Log tab in Reflect, are there entries for the 12th and 13th, even if they show failed attempts?  If so, what are the failure reasons cited in those logs?

Edited 16 September 2020 3:15 PM by jphughan
tcloud
tcloud
jphughan - 16 September 2020 3:14 PM
Did you set a daily backup schedule that only selected Weekdays rather than Every day?  See the below screenshot.  If you check the Log tab in Reflect, are there entries for the 12th and 13th, even if they show failed attempts?  If so, what are the failure reasons cited in those logs?

ah -- I had just selected the default -- grandfather - father - son -- and incrementals only run M-W-F.  I will investigate a different option that saves backup every day.
thanks again

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
You don't have to choose a template at all.  Those are just to help you get started if you want.  But you can ignore that and build your own schedule from scratch to do whatever you want.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search