Changing Destination File Path

Author
phred
Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
If I already have a backup set and decide to change the destination path (but keep the same file name) will moving the backup files to the new path keep the backup set together? In other words, if I move a full and two differentials to the new path, will the next run create a third differential or will it start all over again with a full?

Thanks.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Reflect always works with whatever it finds at the specified destination.  It doesn't care how it got there or whether that destination contains the most recent backup that it created (which won't always be the case in a destination disk rotation scenario, for example.)  So yes, if you move all backup files and then update your destination in the backup job, things will proceed exactly as they have been.  You'll need to disable Image Guardian to move files, though.

phred
phred
Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)
jphughan - 16 September 2020 2:26 PM
Reflect always works with whatever it finds at the specified destination.  It doesn't care how it got there or whether that destination contains the most recent backup that it created (which won't always be the case in a destination disk rotation scenario, for example.)  So yes, if you move all backup files and then update your destination in the backup job, things will proceed exactly as they have been.  You'll need to disable Image Guardian to move files, though.

Thanks. I've already discovered Image Guardian so that's not a problem. The reason I asked this question is that if I did what asked in True Image, it would create new full backups. There is an option to move the backup set from within TI, but it's often overlooked.

Let me say that after not quite three days of using Reflect, I'm damn happy I found it. Happy enough that today's project is to uninstall TI from the three PCs it used to live on. And then delete all its backup files.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Happy to help, and nice to hear you're enjoying Reflect! Smile  Just remember to create and test your Rescue Media.  Make sure your PC boots from it as expected and that once booted, you can see and work with all hardware you'd need to in order to perform a restore (or a backup of an unbootable system simply to grab the latest data before restoring a working backup).  That means making sure Reflect can see your internal disk(s), external disk(s), network locations if applicable, etc.  You don't want to wait until you have a failure to learn that your Rescue Media needs additional drivers or something in order to do what you need!

phred
phred
jphughan - 16 September 2020 3:01 PM
Happy to help, and nice to hear you're enjoying Reflect! Smile  Just remember to create and test your Rescue Media.  Make sure your PC boots from it as expected and that once booted, you can see and work with all hardware you'd need to in order to perform a restore (or a backup of an unbootable system simply to grab the latest data before restoring a working backup).  That means making sure Reflect can see your internal disk(s), external disk(s), network locations if applicable, etc.  You don't want to wait until you have a failure to learn that your Rescue Media needs additional drivers or something in order to do what you need!

Testing Rescue Media and performing a test backup is SOP for me. But thanks for pointing it out so others may see it. I actually do a monthly test boot/restore from Rescue Media. And have two Rescue Media copies - one on a USB stick and one on a small partition of the USB disc on which the backups go (in the other partition.)

We all know not enough people do backups. And of those that do, not enough test the backups regularly. My wife's PC is used almost exclusively for her freelance work and it she lost it, I would be the one in big trouble. Therefore I have that machine do three backups a day to three different destinations. And each one gets tested once a month. It's a pain in the butt, but at least I know I'll get dinner.   :-)

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ha!  Nicely done.  You'd be surprised how many people don't even bother to CREATE Rescue Media until after their system fails, which makes it rather more difficult.  One other thing you may wish to do is create a Rescue Media ISO and store that somewhere, since an ISO can be used to create a bootable flash drive on demand, either manually if you know how to do so or using a utility such as the free and excellent Rufus.  But the main benefit of having an ISO of a known good Rescue Media build is that if there's ever a Reflect update that introduces a bug that breaks Rescue, which has happened, then you'll still be able to generate working Rescue Media from that ISO until Macrium pushes another update to resolve the issue.  Granted, that's less of an issue if you'll have multiple Rescue Media drives, but an ISO is easy to store somewhere. Smile

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)
I am constantly amazed at those who post here when they have a problem and can't proceed because they didn't make Rescue Media.  They might have added a boot menu option, but thought that was enough, when it wasn't when time came and Windows wouldn't start.

Whenever there's a new update of Reflect, I update my Rescue Media, even if it's not necessary.  Smile  You never know what might have been forgotten in the Release Notes.  And, I always test the USB flash drive, my optical disc, and the boot menu options to make sure all 3 work as they should.  I test for more than just correct booting.  I also make sure it can detect my internal mechanical HDD and SDD as well as my external USB mechanical HDD.

Whenever I create new Rescue Media, I also create ISO files to store on an external media, in case I need to fall back because of a bug that might been introduced into the software.  I keep a year's worth of these ISO's on hand.  I have them on an external USB HDD as well as the bootable flash drive I use for Rescue Media, since I use a 256 GB one to also store some key images on.

phred
phred
dbminter - 17 September 2020 12:10 AM
I am constantly amazed at those who post here when they have a problem and can't proceed because they didn't make Rescue Media.  They might have added a boot menu option, but thought that was enough, when it wasn't when time came and Windows wouldn't start.

Whenever there's a new update of Reflect, I update my Rescue Media, even if it's not necessary.  Smile  You never know what might have been forgotten in the Release Notes.  And, I always test the USB flash drive, my optical disc, and the boot menu options to make sure all 3 work as they should.  I test for more than just correct booting.  I also make sure it can detect my internal mechanical HDD and SDD as well as my external USB mechanical HDD.

Whenever I create new Rescue Media, I also create ISO files to store on an external media, in case I need to fall back because of a bug that might been introduced into the software.  I keep a year's worth of these ISO's on hand.  I have them on an external USB HDD as well as the bootable flash drive I use for Rescue Media, since I use a 256 GB one to also store some key images on.

Having a four-user license (with three installations at the moment) I have created a Rescue Media for each machine. Does each PC need it's own IOS, or can the one ISO be used on all three machines once I have used Rufus to get it to a flash drive?

Edited 17 September 2020 12:48 AM by phred
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)
I have noticed that Rescue Media is not necessarily guaranteed to work on different PC's.  I had a Rescue Media made on a Dell XPS PC that didn't have an SSD in it.  When I tried to image a new Dell XPS with an SSD in it, I booted into the Rescue Media, but the Rescue Media did not recognize the SSD installed.  I had to start Windows, initially configure it on first start, install Reflect, and create new Rescue Media before Rescue Media would recognize the SSD.  When I got a different Dell XPS model than that one with an SSD, the Rescue Media didn't need updating in order to recognize the SSD in the new Dell XPS model.

So, it's not necessarily guaranteed an ISO made one on PC will work on another.

phred
phred
dbminter - 17 September 2020 1:00 AM
So, it's not necessarily guaranteed an ISO made one on PC will work on another.

So the ISO is simply the same as Rescue Media created on any other media. It should be considered machine specific.

Thanks.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search