Folder Backup Across LAN Created New Drive Letter

Author
phred
Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This one mystifies me. But I'm a new user so perhaps someone can explain what and why.

I created a Folder and Files backup from a folder (Music_Files) on my NAS to a folder on a local hard drive in my PC (M:\Backups\Music_Backups.) The backup completed successfully. When looking at my drive letters via a file explorer, I noticed drive letter V:\, which never existed before. It is labeled "File Backup" and contains two folders. One is "meta" and contains the file data.xml.The other folder is named "Network([192.xxx.x.x] [Music_Files])". This folder all 885 sub-directories along with all the music files contained within each directory. This drive shows up in a file explorer but does not show up using MiniTool Partition Wizard.

This begs the following questions:
- What is this folder?
- Why was it created?
- Where is it actually located?
- More importantly, can it be deleted and the space and drive letter be reclaimed.

Thanks for any insight.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
It sounds like you've mounted your Reflect backup for browsing.  To check this, open Reflect, go to the Restore tab, and click the Detach option in the upper-left corner.  If you see a Drive V listed there, it means that a Reflect backup is mounted to that letter.  If you don't have any need to browse the contents of that Reflect backup at the moment, you can detach it.

phred
phred
Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)Junior Member (61 reputation)
jphughan - 15 September 2020 9:20 PM
It sounds like you've mounted your Reflect backup for browsing.  To check this, open Reflect, go to the Restore tab, and click the Detach option in the upper-left corner.  If you see a Drive V listed there, it means that a Reflect backup is mounted to that letter.  If you don't have any need to browse the contents of that Reflect backup at the moment, you can detach it.

(I'm keeping you busy today, eh?)

What you say rings a bell. I do remember "exploring" the music backup via file explorer yesterday. What you say makes sense and I will look into that.

Since I've seemingly have your undivided attention, the "long" backup I referred to in my previous pleas for help today was launched manually (Run Now from the Backukp Definition Files tab. I have the main window open and on top of it is the 'progress window.' There is a HIDE button at the bottom of the progress window and when I click it both the progress window and the main window go to the systray and I can't look at any of the other things in the main window. Is there any way to minimize/hide the phrogress window and has access to the main window.

Thanks again jphughan, you've been a great help. Nothing has been resolved (yet) but at least now I know where to look.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Happy to help out! Smile  If you start a backup interactively, you can't hide just the activity monitor separately from the main Reflect interface.  But since you also can't USE the main interface anyway in that situation, that wouldn't have much value.  If you start a backup as a scheduled task, you CAN minimize the activity window separately (since in that case the Reflect application itself isn't necessarily open in the first place) and you can also use Reflect itself -- to some degree.  There are certain operations that Reflect doesn't allow you to perform when a backup is running, such as editing definition files.  As a tip, if you want this capability but don't wish to use scheduled backups, one option would be to create a schedule for a one-time occurrence and set occurrence date somewhere in the past.  Obviously that will never execute on its own, but it will get Reflect to create a scheduled task for it -- and scheduled tasks can be invoked manually.  To do that, go to the Scheduled Backups tab -- not the Backup Definition Files tab -- then right-click the schedule you want to invoke and select Run Now.

phred
phred
jphughan - 15 September 2020 9:45 PM
Happy to help out! Smile  If you start a backup interactively, you can't hide just the activity monitor separately from the main Reflect interface.  But since you also can't USE the main interface anyway in that situation, that wouldn't have much value.  If you start a backup as a scheduled task, you CAN minimize the activity window separately (since in that case the Reflect application itself isn't necessarily open in the first place) and you can also use Reflect itself -- to some degree.  There are certain operations that Reflect doesn't allow you to perform when a backup is running, such as editing definition files.  As a tip, if you want this capability but don't wish to use scheduled backups, one option would be to create a schedule for a one-time occurrence and set occurrence date somewhere in the past.  Obviously that will never execute on its own, but it will get Reflect to create a scheduled task for it -- and scheduled tasks can be invoked manually.  To do that, go to the Scheduled Backups tab -- not the Backup Definition Files tab -- then right-click the schedule you want to invoke and select Run Now.

Good info. Noted.
phred
phred
phred - 15 September 2020 9:51 PM
jphughan - 15 September 2020 9:45 PM

Good info. Noted.

Going to the Restore tab and detaching the backup image removed drive V:.Now I just have to remember to detach after exploring.

Thanks.
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)
Restarting Windows will also detach any mounted image files backups.  So, if you're close to a restart, you can save yourself the step of detaching it yourself and just do the restart.

phred
phred
dbminter - 15 September 2020 10:27 PM
Restarting Windows will also detach any mounted image files backups.  So, if you're close to a restart, you can save yourself the step of detaching it yourself and just do the restart.

Also good information for a new user. Thanks. It's more likely I'll detach rather than restart and this box runs 24/7 with an automatic restart once a week.

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)
Once a week?  That's pretty good.  I restart every day at noon, because I've noticed on Windows 10 that after less than 24 hours, File Explorer response slows to a crawl.  Could just be the way these Dells are set up, but I've noticed it on every Dell PC I've had since Windows 10 came out.

phred
phred
dbminter - 16 September 2020 1:59 AM
Once a week?  That's pretty good.  I restart every day at noon, because I've noticed on Windows 10 that after less than 24 hours, File Explorer response slows to a crawl.  Could just be the way these Dells are set up, but I've noticed it on every Dell PC I've had since Windows 10 came out.

I only use File Explorer when I have to. Otherwise it's XYPlorer for me. And I've never seen a slowdown in response time. Or it could be that I'm not using a Dell.

So I guess that -is- pretty good.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search